The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2980
Original post by ak2109
I want to do Law at University hopefully Oxbridge.

For my A Levels, I decided to take:

Maths
Chemistry
Biology
History

However I am seriously considering swapping Biology for Economics as I think I'd get the A* at A level rather than an A in Biology and I suppose it would be beneficial considering my back up option career/university course wise is either accounting/banker as a career and Economics as my second choice University course.

Economics would be better for law because it's an essay based subject Nd you say tht you think that you will do better in it so choose economics. But no doing biology stops you being a doctor.
Original post by Bardem
Does subject choice have a large effect on application? (I'm thinking of studying history btw). I have decided on History, English Lit and Economics but I'm deliberating between Russian and Philosophy and Ethics for my fourth AS. They are both respected but would choosing Russian advantage me in any way? It would certainly be more difficult (I imagine) than P+E though would that enhance my uni applications or make no difference? It could be an unnecessary risk.

There is hardly any difference at all. Both are strong, and neither is more relevant. The better subject to pick would be the subject you will enjoy more/ do better in.

Original post by lsaul95

For someone asking for advise you are pretty reluctant to accept it.

Your A level choices are very good, even with psychology, and I wish you the best in your studies. I am only trying to help you with my advice. Medicine is a VERY tough subject nowadays, no matter what university it is. Every university will ask for at least AAA for medicine in strong subjects. You probably will be able to get in with good grades, but you will be at a disadvantage. If you're ok with that then that's fine. Personally, I would much rather maximise my chances considering medicine is on average 10 applicants per place. So good luck.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm choosing my A-Level's at the moment and really need some advice. I'm definitely taking English Literature, History and Classical Civilisation but I'm completely stuck on what my last option should be.
I want to study History or Classics at Uni so I'm having a hard time finding another subject that'll complement them nicely.
Thanks in advance!
Original post by hannahjones67
I'm choosing my A-Level's at the moment and really need some advice. I'm definitely taking English Literature, History and Classical Civilisation but I'm completely stuck on what my last option should be.
I want to study History or Classics at Uni so I'm having a hard time finding another subject that'll complement them nicely.
Thanks in advance!

A language would be a perfect finishing touch to that combo. It doesnt necessarily have to complement the rest of your subjects, though. You could take Maths, for instance, and then drop it at AS.

My advice: pick any last subject you want that you enjoy/do well in.

Good luck
Reply 2984
Original post by Llewellyn
There is hardly any difference at all. Both are strong, and neither is more relevant. The better subject to pick would be the subject you will enjoy more/ do better in.

Ok, cheers. I suppose its commonsensical to choose the one I'd do better in if they are regarded relatively equally. I enjoy Russian but at A level standard (I plan to take all 4 AS's to A2) I'm not sure I could match the grades I would get in the other three subjects. If I take P+E I will have all essay subjects so I don't know how that will pan out- it could get tiring pretty quickly. Russian would require constant attention.
Original post by Bardem
Ok, cheers. I suppose its commonsensical to choose the one I'd do better in if they are regarded relatively equally. I enjoy Russian but at A level standard (I plan to take all 4 AS's to A2) I'm not sure I could match the grades I would get in the other three subjects. If I take P+E I will have all essay subjects so I don't know how that will pan out- it could get tiring pretty quickly. Russian would require constant attention.

I don't do either subject, so I can't be of too much help.

If you are good at writing essays, I wouldn't worry about your subject choices. All 4 are very different subjects, Philosophy is a lot more about logic and reasoning (in some ways it is much closer to a science). History is fact-based but a little subjective, making it a definite humanity. Whilst EngLit normally focuses on analytical interpretation and constructive reasoning, making it more of an art. Economics is a strange subject that incorporates just enough maths (graphical analysis) to piss off people who don't do maths but doesn't include enough maths and factual reasoning to really be a science subject.

Yes, just go with what you're best at. Although enjoyment is important, at the end of the day A levels are just more hoops to jump through, and there's really no need to make it any harder on yourself. Good luck.
Reply 2986
Original post by Llewellyn
I don't do either subject, so I can't be of too much help.

If you are good at writing essays, I wouldn't worry about your subject choices. All 4 are very different subjects, Philosophy is a lot more about logic and reasoning (in some ways it is much closer to a science). History is fact-based but a little subjective, making it a definite humanity. Whilst EngLit normally focuses on analytical interpretation and constructive reasoning, making it more of an art. Economics is a strange subject that incorporates just enough maths (graphical analysis) to piss off people who don't do maths but doesn't include enough maths and factual reasoning to really be a science subject.

Yes, just go with what you're best at. Although enjoyment is important, at the end of the day A levels are just more hoops to jump through, and there's really no need to make it any harder on yourself. Good luck.

Thanks, I suppose I could always pick Russian up again at uni or keep it on the boil outside school.
I'm *hoping* to reach a position where I could apply to Cambridge/UCL/Durham but I would need top AS marks (particularly for Camb). If jumping through the P+E hoop is safer than the Russian hoop, bearing in mind that I'm going to be studying a course that requires neither, I imagine I'd be better off taking P+E. It sounds like an interesting course, and would certainly play to my strengths.
I think I'll be taking : Maths (pure, mechanics, statistics)
F-maths(tentative)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
General Paper
Chinese
What do you think? I'm still unsure about my career path though, but I'll certainly work for anything related to the 3 sciences which could rake in a high amount of money (but not doctor)
Original post by ivana_a.h
I think I'll be taking : Maths (pure, mechanics, statistics)
F-maths(tentative)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
General Paper
Chinese
What do you think? I'm still unsure about my career path though, but I'll certainly work for anything related to the 3 sciences which could rake in a high amount of money (but not doctor)

Scientists don't necessarily rake in loads of money. If riches is what you're after, do law or banking.
Original post by Bardem
Does subject choice have a large effect on application? (I'm thinking of studying history btw). I have decided on History, English Lit and Economics but I'm deliberating between Russian and Philosophy and Ethics for my fourth AS. They are both respected but would choosing Russian advantage me in any way? It would certainly be more difficult (I imagine) than P+E though would that enhance my uni applications or make no difference? It could be an unnecessary risk.

You should definitely do it, you can carrying on developing a foreign language at uni and then it gives you the option to travel, work or study abroad, pick up new or similar languages, and do more options. I have a friend wanting to do his MA thesis on Russian history and if he were in your position he would definite get himself a language. Take advantage of the opportunity!

Original post by ak2109
I want to do Law at University hopefully Oxbridge.

For my A Levels, I decided to take:

Maths
Chemistry
Biology
History

However I am seriously considering swapping Biology for Economics as I think I'd get the A* at A level rather than an A in Biology and I suppose it would be beneficial considering my back up option career/university course wise is either accounting/banker as a career and Economics as my second choice University course.

It sounds like that's definitely a good idea, it'll be much more relevant to law than biology.
Reply 2990
Original post by non
Economics would be better for law because it's an essay based subject Nd you say tht you think that you will do better in it so choose economics. But no doing biology stops you being a doctor.

no interest in medicine :smile:
Original post by ak2109
no interest in medicine :smile:

Pick economics then. It's a fantastic subject. You wont regret it.
So I am currently in 5th year and was wondering what would be my best options for A-Level. I have thought about it and thought about it, but in the end I just have a sore head! These are the subjects I do for GCSE:
•Double Award science
•Math (higher tier)
•English
•English Literature
•History
•Religious Studies
•Learning for Life and Work
•Art

Im currently sitting on a A*, A,B on all subjects
I Am hoping to go to Queens University Belfast. I was maybe looking to study Biological Studies, Zoology or Archaeology/Palaeocology

However, I dont have any idea on what A-Levels to take on. I was thinking
•Biology
•History
•Chemistry
•Physics
Biology/history are dead certs. But what is better ar a A-level, physics or chemistry? Please add any info you have on these subjects and pro's and con's.

Thanks ScienceNerd123
Reply 2993
Original post by ScienceNerd123
So I am currently in 5th year and was wondering what would be my best options for A-Level. I have thought about it and thought about it, but in the end I just have a sore head! These are the subjects I do for GCSE:
•Double Award science
•Math (higher tier)
•English
•English Literature
•History
•Religious Studies
•Art

I Am hoping to go to Queens University Belfast. I was maybe looking to study Biological Studies, Zoology or Archaeology/Palaeocology

•Biology
•History
•Chemistry
•Physics
Biology/history are dead certs. But what is better ar a A-level, physics or chemistry? Please add any info you have on these subjects and pro's and con's.

Thanks ScienceNerd123

biology and chem are musts for the degrees that you have said. pick history if you like it, it's not very useful for the degrees you have said and maths is better than physics.
Original post by ScienceNerd123
•Double Award science
•Math (higher tier)
•English
•English Literature
•History
•Religious Studies
•Art

•Biology
•History
•Chemistry
•Physics

Thanks ScienceNerd123

Chemistry is much better than physics :biggrin: and it's much more relevant to biology
Hello all, I plan to take English literature, history, classics and philosophy at as level, and I want to study law at LSE when I am older hopefully. Obviously these are all humanity based/essay based subjects, but I excel in them, and know I will do well if I work hard in them (without meaning to sound arrogant obviously). As they are all humanity based, will this disadvantage me in any way? Thanks
Reply 2996
Original post by merrrrr
Hello all, I plan to take English literature, history, classics and philosophy at as level, and I want to study law at LSE when I am older hopefully. Obviously these are all humanity based/essay based subjects, but I excel in them, and know I will do well if I work hard in them (without meaning to sound arrogant obviously). As they are all humanity based, will this disadvantage me in any way? Thanks

no but it's better to have sciences as well as humanities but if you are better at humanities then go with these options they are all respected subjects.
Hello, I plan to study medicine. I have chosen bio, chem, and maths, and am currently considering English Literature. I want to ask how is English Literature? Is it difficult, and what should I expect to learn and what are the skills I will be expected to use? I am undecided whether I should put this down on my final app though.
Hi, could you recommend me a good College in London where I can study English Literacy A Level in 1 year? Thank you!
Reply 2999
Does anyone do 5?

Latest