The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a particular interest in Chemistry, Biologival Sciences, Economics and Medicine, just as hobbies, i dont necesarily read around the subject to aid my learning but simply because i find it interesting and sometimes helpful.
And my A level subjects are Maths(B) , Biology (A*), Chemistry(A*) and Economics..

The college im probably going to asked me if i wanted to do a 5th AS level, do you think i should take it up, or keep it at 4.
Bearing in mind that ive already done an AS level in english in yr 11, but i dont think i have done too well in that :frown:
Reply 3341
How are Predicted grades decided? and what is their impact on Uni courses? If I for example have a predicted grade of BBB but I get A*AA in the end what will happen?
Original post by Dust.
How are Predicted grades decided? and what is their impact on Uni courses? If I for example have a predicted grade of BBB but I get A*AA in the end what will happen?

it depends on your school; for example at my school they use the Fisher Family Trust to get a baseline target, and then that is edited upon what they think we'll achieve, AS grades and how much effort we're putting in. Predicted grades can affect which universities you apply to; some universitites require certain grades for you to meet their entrance criteria, and for high demand subjects at some universities you have to have higher grades to be considered.
If you get A*AA with predicted grades of BBB (assuming you apply to universities that are around the ABB/BBB mark for entrance grades and put that as your firm choice) then there is something called Adjustment. The link there should explain that a bit better, but basically it's where you can apply to a university that has higher entry requirements that you didn't apply to because your predicted grades were considerably lower.
However, if you could achieve A*AA, then I'd be surprised that your predicted grades would be BBB as AS grades, resits and ability would probably point more towards an AAA/AAB/ABB sort of prediction
Reply 3343
Heyy i would like to pursue a future career as a solicitor when i'm older and i just want to know what A-levels would be best suited for me so far I have decided to pick:-

English Literature
French
History
Law

Are these good choices and if not can you advise me on the best options for me ;-)
Original post by missat
Heyy i would like to pursue a future career as a solicitor when i'm older and i just want to know what A-levels would be best suited for me so far I have decided to pick:-

English Literature
French
History
Law

Are these good choices and if not can you advise me on the best options for me ;-)

English Lit, French and History are all really good subjects to do; they're classed as strong subjects and are interesting to study! I do French and it is a brilliant subject to do; you learn a lot of skills and it's useful!
However, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Law's not seen as a particularly strong subject to take at A-level so that may be worth considering. If you're pretty good/confident with maths then that could go quite well with your choices and add more diversity, but otherwise I think that they're pretty good choices! good luck :biggrin:
Reply 3345
Okayy thanks for that ;-)
Original post by Dust.

Then you'll probably want to use a system called Adjustment which lets you upgrade to a better uni than those you applied to when your results come out much better than expected. Predicted grades come from your teachers and are very important when unis are deciding what your potential is.

Original post by joe1545
I have a particular interest in Chemistry, Biologival Sciences, Economics and Medicine, just as hobbies, i dont necesarily read around the subject to aid my learning but simply because i find it interesting and sometimes helpful.
And my A level subjects are Maths(B) , Biology (A*), Chemistry(A*) and Economics..

The college im probably going to asked me if i wanted to do a 5th AS level, do you think i should take it up, or keep it at 4.
Bearing in mind that ive already done an AS level in english in yr 11, but i dont think i have done too well in that :frown:

There's not really any point in doing a fifth subject, don't let them force you into it!

Original post by missat

English Literature
French
History
Law

Law isn't necessary as uni law schools often prefer you not to have done it and it's seen as an easy subject, but it'll give you a chance to see if law is for you. History and Literature are the perfect subjects for law and French is very useful in general. I would add psychology, politics or something else in place of law but it's up to you.
Reply 3347
Original post by missat

English Literature
French
History
Law

I am in the same position as you however, I decided that all my subjects have to be preffered subjects:

History
Eng Lit
German
Biology
R.S (but i'm dropping this straightaway as it is not a preffered subject)
Reply 3348
This thread is stupid because it's filled with aspiring medicine students asking whether they should do 3 sciences or not. may as well change the title to ''MEDICINE STUDENT STRESS''
Reply 3349
Original post by missat

English Literature
French
History
Law

This is a perfect line up as History and English Literature, require analytical skills, concise argument making and show your ability to construct a logical argument; the prime skills a Lawyer (especially solicitor) must possess.
French is good, as it shows your command of different languages and that's good in a legal sense as your ability to command the english language is also a prime skill.

Law A-level, whether only AS or A2 is a debatable choice. I know for sure that LSE do NOT like Law A-level as it is considered a "baby-ish" version of the law you actually learn at uni.
However having said that, I have a friend who studied Law A-level and got an A* and is now studying Law at Cambridge, so not all universities look down on it and some actually appreciate it.
Although having said that, the safest option would be to not pick Law and instead another subject like Politics, Psychology, Philosophy? These are argument, essay based and show yet more skills that a lawyer will need.

Maybe if you're strong in the science department you should choose Maths or Bio/Chem/Phys for your 4th choice. Many of the top universities like law applicants who show there diversity in their ability to think quantitatively, something sciences require.

Hope that's all helped!
Reply 3350
Anyone know the position of Universities on the National Citizens Service? Is it worth doing? will it help with Uni application?
Original post by Dust.
Anyone know the position of Universities on the National Citizens Service? Is it worth doing? will it help with Uni application?

It won't be any more helpful than any other kind of volunteering that isn't bound to prop up some shoddy Tory idea to make it compulsory and horrible :rolleyes: Really though, different unis will have different position on extra-curriculars, but especially at the top end they won't care unless it's related to your proposed degree course, which this is highly unlikely to be.
I'm looking for a bit of help please
Basically, I've just completed AS Levels and have started going back for a month for A2 levels until we break up for summer.
I studied:
History of Art, Fine Art, English Language and Geography AS Levels and will get the results in August. Predicted A, A (History of Art and Fine Art), and C, C (English and Geography).
My dilemma is that History of Art was only an AS course, and although I am confident I have done well in it and most likely achieved my A in it, along with Fine art, I cannot continue it as my college does not have the funding. This considered I would definitely continue with Fine Art and Geography. However, I am REALLY not keen on English language (AQA B) having done it for a year and I feel I will of failed the AS Level, as I really did struggle with it. :frown: So my question is, what should I keep on at A2 alongside doing Fine Art, Geography. Should I stick out English Language for another year even though I can't stand it, and will end up getting a crappy grade, or pick up another AS/Extended Project Qualification with these two ALevels instead??
Please help, sorry if it didn't make sense :/
Original post by Jade10128
I'm looking for a bit of help please
Basically, I've just completed AS Levels and have started going back for a month for A2 levels until we break up for summer.
I studied:
History of Art, Fine Art, English Language and Geography AS Levels and will get the results in August. Predicted A, A (History of Art and Fine Art), and C, C (English and Geography).
My dilemma is that History of Art was only an AS course, and although I am confident I have done well in it and most likely achieved my A in it, along with Fine art, I cannot continue it as my college does not have the funding. This considered I would definitely continue with Fine Art and Geography. However, I am REALLY not keen on English language (AQA B) having done it for a year and I feel I will of failed the AS Level, as I really did struggle with it. :frown: So my question is, what should I keep on at A2 alongside doing Fine Art, Geography. Should I stick out English Language for another year even though I can't stand it, and will end up getting a crappy grade, or pick up another AS/Extended Project Qualification with these two ALevels instead??
Please help, sorry if it didn't make sense :/

If you really dont like eng lang (as it appears on here) and you feel you would do better in another AS in your second year or extended project, then go for it! Its a win win situation then, you are not only doing something you will most likely enjoy more, but probably do better in it too :smile:
Remember, its just my opinion, and good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Biology
Chemistry
History
Physics/Maths/Politics

Could anyone give me a hand on my fourth AS choice? Originally I chose Politics (I can still change) but I've begun warming to the idea of Maths. Not sure about choosing either Maths or Physics, I know they both complement each other well but I definitely won't be doing both. If anyone could give me any advice on the choice it would be appreciated.
wot u wona do in uni
Original post by EnviroProtector
If you really dont like eng lang (as it appears on here) and you feel you would do better in another AS in your second year or extended project, then go for it! Its a win win situation then, you are not only doing something you will most likely enjoy more, but probably do better in it too :smile:
Remember, its just my opinion, and good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

hey guys i wandered if any1 can reassure me i have just finished my AS exams ive taken english lit history geography and business studies and predicted 4 As is that good enough for a law degree and can i drop 1 for A2?
Original post by benpearson1
biology
chemistry
history
physics/maths/politics

could anyone give me a hand on my fourth as choice? Originally i chose politics (i can still change) but i've begun warming to the idea of maths. Not sure about choosing either maths or physics, i know they both complement each other well but i definitely won't be doing both. If anyone could give me any advice on the choice it would be appreciated.

wot u wana do in uni
Original post by bradfriedal24
wot u wana do in uni

Don't know really. I want to keep my options open to an extent. I suppose that leads to my other question which is what degrees would be possible with those a level combinations? I'm pretty equal on both humanities and sciences so I'm struggling to find something
LOL

Latest