The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Right, so I think I've settled on:

-Maths
-Chemistry
-History
-Politics

for A-Level.

Does anyone think these are good choices for doing either Law/PPE/History or maybe other courses? I know only doing two sciences limits me from a lot of the science degrees, but I want to make sure my choices leave me with broad enough degree and job prospects.

Original post by benpearson1

-Maths
-Chemistry
-History
-Politics

for A-Level.

Does anyone think these are good choices for doing either Law/PPE/History or maybe other courses? I know only doing two sciences limits me from a lot of the science degrees, but I want to make sure my choices leave me with broad enough degree and job prospects.

Hey :smile:
Those choices look good for law/PPE/History. There are no specific requirements for law, so obviously your choices are fine for that. For PPE, I think universities prefer history and maths so you're choices are fine for that too :smile:
Reply 3682
Maths or chemistry.
Which looks better on a CV and in general Creates more opportunities?
Which option is more fun?(I enjoy them both equally ATM)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sam_1996
Do you have to have a chemistry a level to study medicine?or be a doctor?
Also what job could you do with
-Maths
-Physics
-Biology
-History
Thanks

One word: CHEMISTRY
I'm not sure whether this is the right thread to post but I would like to ask, if I choose to take a year out because I was ill, would I have to redo all my modules or can I keep them from what I have done in the last 2 years of Alevels?
Original post by theseeker
I'm not sure whether this is the right thread to post but I would like to ask, if I choose to take a year out because I was ill, would I have to redo all my modules or can I keep them from what I have done in the last 2 years of Alevels?

U mean a gap year? Yeah obviously you use there a levels u have u dobt repeat

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3686
Original post by lola1993
hey (:
i'm sorry there are loads of threads out there similar to this one but not exactly what i want to ask, so yeah here goes..
i want to study medicine, i'm definitely taking maths, biology, chemistry and physics for a-level but i want to take a 5th subject so that i don't have to go gen. studies or crit. thinking. either: philosophy and ethics, sociology or further maths?
any comments about those three subjects would be great + any advice about whether taking a 5th subject would put me at an advantage seeing as i'd be likely to take RS which is an art subject?

thanks (:

Hi,
I got into Medicine and will hopefully start in oct. I did those subjects plus further maths. I enjoyed it. However i would say having an essay-based subject might be a benefit depending on what uni you are applying for. Its up to you, which interest you the most and also which do you think you can do well in.

Good luck
Do you think these are good subjects for law at A - level:

Biology
English Lit
Psychology
Philosophy
??? ;D
Original post by zeezee180
Do you think these are good subjects for law at A - level:

Biology
English Lit
Psychology
Philosophy
??? ;D

They're fine, the only other subject I would suggest is history, but five subjects isn't necessary - better to do it instead of biology.

Maths or chemistry.

Maths is more useful, but chemistry is infinitely more fun :biggrin:

Original post by benpearson1

-Maths
-Chemistry
-History
-Politics

for A-Level.

That's a great combination, you'll still have plenty of options :smile:

Original post by Courtney12
I'm really interested in Nutrition and Dietetics and am seriously considering taking it at a University (At the moment I'm thinking Surrey) but I need some help with my A Level Choices.
I've picked:
Sport Science
Biology
Chemistry
History

However, I've looked at the Food Tech course and it looks like exactly what I want to do but I heard it's not looked very highly upon by top Universities. Can someone give me advice on what to do? Perhaps there are some other qualifications I can do alongside these subjects?

My advice is to learn to cook from your relatives or books. A levels are about showcasing academic potential and your options are perfect for getting into uni. Just find other ways to pursue cooking :smile:

Do you have to have a chemistry a level to study medicine?or be a doctor?
Also what job could you do with
-Maths
-Physics
-Biology
-History
Thanks

I think so, you'll certainly be in for some pain in medical school if your chemistry is gcse level. You can do almost everything with a combination like that :smile:
Reply 3689
Maths or chemistry.

You can get in to an awful lot of careers with maths... It's very good to have on your CV.

It's hard to say which is more fun, because you like them equally now. Is it a choice between the two you have to make now? Because I can't speak for chem but maths changes a lot in a-level, so you might find you like it even more or much less. If you get the chance I'd try and test both. If not, what kind of carers could you see yourself in (I know it's hard to know at this stage sometimes)?

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 3690
I really want to do Bio, Chem, Maths, French, and German. I know five isn't necessary, but I love my languages and my sciences! Does anyone want to discourage me? Or warn me? Is there anythign I should know?
Original post by nombo
I really want to do Bio, Chem, Maths, French, and German. I know five isn't necessary, but I love my languages and my sciences! Does anyone want to discourage me? Or warn me? Is there anythign I should know?

Last year in our year there were 20 people who chose 5 A Levels and a week later bar 2 all had dropped a subject. Plus, you don't exactly have any easy-ish subject such as Media(no offence to anyone who did take it just most Uni's opinion)in there. I'd say you're best off dropping one or perhaps talking to a teacher in the language department at your school-after all they'd have seen hundreds of people like you and probably know the best way-forward.

Good Luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by nombo

If you enjoy them, go for it! You could always drop a subject later in year 12 if you find the workload is too great. I don't know about French and German, but biology, chemistry and maths are all very interesting :yep:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 3693
Okay thanks! I will talk to my teachers, and I think I'll take 5 and perhaps drop the one I like the least if I can't cope.
Do you think this is an okay combination of subjects?
RS, maths, biology and english lit
I was thinking about doing psychology at uni, but if I change my mind I might have too many science subjects? :s-smilie:
My options will be
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

I am scared for the maths choice as my school has rubbish teachers and the geog alevel may not even go ahead like last year, as only 4 people picked it
Original post by nombo

I think you're taking on a lot; none of those are "soft" subjects. However, if you're really prepared for the workload then go for it! Like's been posted above, you could drop one at the end of the year, or even after the first few weeks if you can't cope/don't like a subject at A-level. Out of those, I took French and Maths, and I'd say that the Maths and Sciences workload is significantly higher than that of languages. Obviously this depends on your school and which you find easier. From people in my year, a lot of them dropped Chem and Bio within the first year as it seems that they're a huge step up from GCSE, whereas languages build upon what you've done. Good luck whatever you decide though! :biggrin:

Original post by sinead345
Do you think this is an okay combination of subjects?
RS, maths, biology and english lit
I was thinking about doing psychology at uni, but if I change my mind I might have too many science subjects? :s-smilie:

That's a good selection of subjects; they're all well respected and leave options open to you. If you don't do Pyschology at university, you don't have too many science subjects; only half of your choices are science ones and they'd look strong on a non-science degree application anyway. Good luck :smile:

Original post by simibean
My options will be
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Geography

I am scared for the maths choice as my school has rubbish teachers and the geog alevel may not even go ahead like last year, as only 4 people picked it

They're good choices, and I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. With regards to Geography, it may be different for your year; each year is different with the choices people make and you never know! It may be a good idea to think about a subject you could replace it with however in case :smile: For Maths, you can still do well with bad teachers; a lot of A-level is about working outside of school as it does take practice and the textbooks generally are good to build on your knowledge. Also, when it comes to exam practice, examsolutions.co.uk is such a great site and I found that he explains the maths better than any of my teachers ever had! Good luck :smile:
Reply 3697
Hey, quick question. I'm a former year 11 student, and am starting sixth form this year. I would like to study medicine and am taking biology, chemistry, physics and maths for A Levels. If I was to drop biology at A2, would there still be a chance for me in medicine? & if I was to drop maths at A2-would I be able to continue physics? Or would it be too difficult?
Original post by SKETCHit
Hey, quick question. I'm a former year 11 student, and am starting sixth form this year. I would like to study medicine and am taking biology, chemistry, physics and maths for A Levels. If I was to drop biology at A2, would there still be a chance for me in medicine? & if I was to drop maths at A2-would I be able to continue physics? Or would it be too difficult?

You don't need biology A-Level to get into medicine. Having said that though, although you don't need it, you should take it for AS and A2 imo as it really will help later on. So I'd recommend you do it as a full A-Level :smile: I'm guessing that you enjoy biology seeing as you want to go into medicine, so try to take it to A2.

Physics may be a bit harder without doing maths but it definitely is not impossible :smile: So yes, you will be able to continue physics without maths :yep:

Good luck! :biggrin:
I'm having problems with subject selection. I plan on studying Economics and going onto an American University after A Levels. So far I'm stuck with Economics, Maths, and Business Studies for the lack of a better subject. The country I live in, Bangladesh, doesn't offer many subjects, maybe one or 2 out of the traditional set and I had no science subjects in my IGCSE's so those are out of the question. I find Accounting hard and want to avoid it, so that limits my choices. I realize that Business Studies is a poor selection, but is there any alternative. If I do stick with it, how much will it hamper my Uni admissions.

Thanks.

Latest