Been rejected from Durham? I'm SO ANGRY. Watch

This discussion is closed.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by boygenious)
where is durham exactly, is it near scotland?
Durham is in the north, next to Newcastle. I think it's around 2-3 hrs from the border of Scotland (plz correct me if i'm wrong).

--------

The A* thing explains exactly why my friend got rejected to study History @ Durham, he got an A in IGCSE history....but as he's an international student and I presumed that they'd desperately want him as he'll be paying more money.
boygenious
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so why do you lot like durham so much, it's in scotland, they don't do education good up there
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
so why do you lot like durham so much, it's in scotland, they don't do education good up there
It's not in scotland, it's in North East england.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Firstly, as Frances said, Durham is in England. Secondly, St. Andrews and Edinburgh are both top class unis that are in Scotland.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by daumal)
Well, my head of sixth form phoned up the admissions office today to get some feedback on why I was rejected (predicted three As at A-level, applied for history and politics).

She said that, my application had been in one of the first batch of applications which had been sent through to the politics department (as these things are done at Durham, each department looks at it before passing the 'ok'ed ones onto the next)

Well, the politics department rejected the whole bunch (good applications... mostly 'also applied to Oxbridge', I'd assume) and sent them back. Admissions assumed a mistake, returned them, just to have them rejected a second time.

The lady on the end of the phone, I'm told, was actually EMBARRASSED to admit the real reason why these were rejected. It's because Durham accepted too many applicants last year and got a financial slap on the wrist... so this year, in order to keep the numbers down, they have automatically rejected anyone who didn't get an A* in GCSE history. That's GCSE history. Seem a bit unfair to you? I'm INSANELY angry with this... you wouldn't even believe.

So, fair enough, my head of sixth form mentioned that she wouldn't bother letting anyone who didn't get an A* in their chosen subject at GCSE level apply next year, to which she was told "Oh, no, don't do that. It'll probably be different next year".

Fantastic. Anyone else been caught out by this IDIOTIC screening system? Does it just apply to history, or to any other subjects too?
the probably explains why the girl from my school who had straight As in everything except didn't ever take history got rejected for history and politics at Durham.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes they do, well at least i know what country Durhams in lol.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
Lol!!!!
boygenious
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
whoa you scottish people have bad tempers
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
Durham is great, and quite close to Scotland, thats why we are a northern uni, if we were in scotland then we would be a southern scottish uni, and it wouldn't be as good.

i know that they did take in too many people last year, especially for NatSci, but that was only because of the fact that everybody who accepted an offer got the grades to go and they weren't expecting it!

You're right though that is a stupid way of doing it, but they have to do it some way, otherwise they would have the same problem of too many people again, and whatever ever way they do it they will have to reject some people.
I haven't heard anything about people being rejected from NatSci cos they didn't do maths......i didn't do maths past GCSE, and neither did quite a few people i know on the course. It might be that these people specified that they wanted to take maths as one of their NatSci options, in which case, yeah i think you did have to have done maths, but then that just makes sense really.
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by daumal)
Well, my head of sixth form phoned up the admissions office today to get some feedback on why I was rejected (predicted three As at A-level, applied for history and politics).

She said that, my application had been in one of the first batch of applications which had been sent through to the politics department (as these things are done at Durham, each department looks at it before passing the 'ok'ed ones onto the next)

Well, the politics department rejected the whole bunch (good applications... mostly 'also applied to Oxbridge', I'd assume) and sent them back. Admissions assumed a mistake, returned them, just to have them rejected a second time.

The lady on the end of the phone, I'm told, was actually EMBARRASSED to admit the real reason why these were rejected. It's because Durham accepted too many applicants last year and got a financial slap on the wrist... so this year, in order to keep the numbers down, they have automatically rejected anyone who didn't get an A* in GCSE history. That's GCSE history. Seem a bit unfair to you? I'm INSANELY angry with this... you wouldn't even believe.

So, fair enough, my head of sixth form mentioned that she wouldn't bother letting anyone who didn't get an A* in their chosen subject at GCSE level apply next year, to which she was told "Oh, no, don't do that. It'll probably be different next year".

Fantastic. Anyone else been caught out by this IDIOTIC screening system? Does it just apply to history, or to any other subjects too?

Hi...

Yeah...my step brother...exactly the same as you but didn't realise it was common...

History and Politics at Durham...straight rejection...he got an A at GCSE in History.

Offers from Exeter and Reading; rejection from Oxford and he's waiting to hear from Warwick and York.
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
whoa you scottish people have bad tempers
now everyone in scotland is bad tempered just because u think i'm bad tempered?
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
It's in the North East of England, just below Newcastle, quite a way from Scotland. About the rejection, it's not just Durham, my friend was rejected from Notts because she had 2 Bs at GCSE, despite the fact that these were in art and french, and she was applying to study psychology, and all her other results were As or A*s....crazy.
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
It's in the North East of England, just below Newcastle, quite a way from Scotland. About the rejection, it's not just Durham, my friend was rejected from Notts because she had 2 Bs at GCSE, despite the fact that these were in art and french, and she was applying to study psychology, and all her other results were As or A*s....crazy.
there are 30 applicants per place for psych, tell her not to feel to disappointed
AveHan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rah)
there are 30 applicants per place for psych, tell her not to feel to disappointed
this was last year, and she's happy where she is now, but thanks anyway though, might tell her anyway. Seems daft though, to go on irrelevant GCSEs when she had straight As at AS and was predicted them at A2...
James_W
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I had a very smooth time of it with Durham this year. Got a letter saying that they recieved me application, and details of how to log onto their tracker. Logged on straight away, and found that they'd already accepted me and offered ABB, and UCAS was updated immediately. No problems with them whatsoever.
LBF
Report 16 years ago
What subject was that for James? Please tell me athat wasnt Law otr suicide could be on the cards!
figgetyfig
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, A girl at my school got rejected from natsci, predicted AAA, but she didnt do a-level maths. She appealed, they considered her for biological sciences instead, and she got an AAA offer for van mildert college.

I guess engineering's undersubscribed though, as I got an ABB offer for university college.
TommyP
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, this is really odd. I logged onto the Durham tracker thing and it said 'A decision has not been made yet' -- but I got a letter with a conditional offer in it nearly 4 weeks ago!! Theres nothing on the ucas tracker either. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I couldn't attend the open days at Durham?
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is near Scotland yes. But it is in England.
scoot
Report 16 years ago
Hi,
hate to say it but you really aren't missing out at Durham. It REALLY isn't all its cracked up to be (I'm a current student) - I can't disclose any other details, but belive me - Durham is NOT the place you think it is!

BE WARNED!

An unhappy Duranium (if such a thing exists)!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?