VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
You aren't the only one

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Durham_University__Review_65979
eek :eek: i am soooooooo not going to durham! sounds like hell! thankyou fo saving me!
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by VoodooDoll)
eek :eek: i am soooooooo not going to durham! sounds like hell! thankyou fo saving me!
Don't base your decision on that! I'm still going to apply. Find out for yourself what it's like.
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
Don't base your decision on that! I'm still going to apply. Find out for yourself what it's like.
Here here.
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
exactly, choosing your university on the basis of other people's opinions is utterly retarded

(*doesn't like durham either*)
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by daumal)
jonny... no news is good news. They can take ages to come through, because they have to give all applications before the 15th an equal chance. Chances are, if you haven't heard anything than neither have anyone else...

B00kworm... I don't THINK they're doing it for straight history. Although History at Durham is an AAA offer, and History and Politics is an AAB offer, only History and Politics to my knowledge have done the A*-at-GCSE thing.
I have an offer for History/Politics at Durham and I did not get A* in my history GCSE.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
no, i'm not that stupid . durham is suppost to be really good for my course (psychology) but i've heard from at least a dozen people now how *****y its suppost to be. i am going to look myself anyway, i've an open day in march i think but from what i've heard the place really doesn't sound like its for me.
ankur1986
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it depends on whether u r the type of person who'd like durham or not. I live in Newcastle and i go to durham quite a lot. I think its fantastic and it's pretty easy 2 go to newcastle 4 a night out and get back 2 durham. Newcastle is fantastic for goin out. But if u wanna b in a city durham is probs not the place 4 u
markh86
Report 14 years ago
I'm glad Durham only has 2 night clubs near it- i wouldn't be out clubbing. I'm not into that at all.

There is a good Catholic Society at Durham which is one of the reasons it being, if i'm accepted, in my top 2.
lilsunflower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by markh86)
I'm glad Durham only has 2 night clubs near it- i wouldn't be out clubbing. I'm not into that at all.

There is a good Catholic Society at Durham which is one of the reasons it being, if i'm accepted, in my top 2.
Hmmm.. the durham review thingy says that life there is 'expensive'.

Sorry, but just to check with any Durham students.. I always thought living way up north was slightly cheaper than places near London? Please confirm Thanks
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lilsunflower)
Hmmm.. the durham review thingy says that life there is 'expensive'.

Sorry, but just to check with any Durham students.. I always thought living way up north was slightly cheaper than places near London? Please confirm Thanks
obviously its cheaper than london n the cities but it still adds up!
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't not go to Durham just because it hasn't got good clubs, you are close enough to Newcastle to go there if you want to.
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by AveHan)
It's in the North East of England, just below Newcastle, quite a way from Scotland. About the rejection, it's not just Durham, my friend was rejected from Notts because she had 2 Bs at GCSE, despite the fact that these were in art and french, and she was applying to study psychology, and all her other results were As or A*s....crazy.
That can't be the only reason she was rejected... I have a B at GCSE (graphic design, so not relevant either) yet they still offered me a place last year.

But as Rah said, there are 30 applicants to a place so they have to discriminate somehow. Obviously it has to be an academic aspect - they can't reject people for how far away they live or what type of school they went to (look how much trouble Bristol got in to...) Most people who apply now have relevant work experience and most people on my course got AAA at A-level (I assume they were predicted this). Although it seems pedantic to look at irrelevant GCSEs, it's probably the fairest way to do it.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by katini)
I have an offer for History/Politics at Durham and I did not get A* in my history GCSE.
Hold on a second.....does this not show that the A* at GCSE is i fact not being used as a disinguishing criterion? This is what the post was about, was it not???
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Hold on a second.....does this not show that the A* at GCSE is i fact not being used as a disinguishing criterion? This is what the post was about, was it not???
They rejected me, i have 2 AS subjects (out of 4that i did) at 100% predicted all A's, did work exp, read relevant books, am active in college activites, do voluntary work, part time work and do sport. And am NOT an arse!! Lol. I go to a college - maybe this is why i was rejected!

I went round after i had applied and totally didnt like it. So a rejection wasnt the end of the world. I would have gone 4 birm anyway as its nearer to home.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ladyluck)
I go to a college - maybe this is why i was rejected!
I went to a college too and didn't seem to face any discrimination because of it in my university applications.
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Yes exactly. That was the point I was trying to make- I don't believe that Durham is just excluding everyone for mediocre points like that if they're letting in me.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes exactly. That was the point I was trying to make- I don't believe that Durham is just excluding everyone for mediocre points like that if they're letting in me.
Oh i hope they take me....
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Oh i hope they take me....
Are you applying for straight history?
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Are you applying for straight history?
Indeed i am
katini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Indeed i am

I don't know how they decide who gets offers and who doesn't but I know there was a wave of rejections about two weeks ago so you're good to have made it this far.

I think the whole Durham system is a lottery to be honest.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads