This discussion is closed.
TomB2000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I got the standard offer from UCL to read medicine - ABBpass. Does anyone else think that it is wierd that UCL and Imperial (supposedly the best medical schools outside oxbridge) give ABB offers where most other medical schools give AAB offers?
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TomB2000)
I got the standard offer from UCL to read medicine - ABBpass. Does anyone else think that it is wierd that UCL and Imperial (supposedly the best medical schools outside oxbridge) give ABB offers where most other medical schools give AAB offers?
Congrats (I am in awe !)! I think all the London medical schools give ABB offers - it is surprising, I wonder why?!
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
While they may give ABB offers you need to consider the students athat are applying to these schools. It is often the fact that many dont want tthe added expense of living in London, and some people dont like the hustle of city life that London offers. I think that the offers you will receive from London universities tend to be lower to attract more students to them.
TomB2000
Thanks lucy!

mjf, that certainly is not true, the four best universities in the country are supposed to be Oxford Cambridge LSE and Imperial (two of which are in london). London universites (especially the medical schools) are hardly short of applicants!
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks lucy!

mjf, that certainly is not true, the four best universities in the country are supposed to be Oxford Cambridge LSE and Imperial (two of which are in london). London universites (especially the medical schools) are hardly short of applicants!
I didnt doubt that there reputation as good medical schools were untrue - I simply said that it is likely that there offers reflect hoping the best students to study there so that it is more of an incentive, if you will, a plus point, of studying in London. You cant deny that many will be put off with living costs etc of London and an offer of ABB may swing them when it comes to deciding where to study.
TomB2000
No thats not true, mjf your logic is flawed...

Generally speaking: the harder the university offer, the more academically elite the university is. Intelligent students with good grades want to go to academically better universities, and are so attracted by universities that give harder A-level offers.

UCL and Imperial give ABB offers for medicine, despite having a more science-based course than other medical school, and are the only medical schools outside oxbridge to have a compulsory BSc year. As they both have over 8 applicants per place, and both are top 5 universities, they are not lacking in academically brilliant applicants, and thus they do not need to give lower offers to attract more applicants to compensate for being in london (which by the way is no punishment!). Lower offers would just attract less able applicants anyway.

So why are UCL and Imperial the exception to the rule - why do they give lower offers?
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
So why are UCL and Imperial the exception to the rule - why do they give lower offers?
probably because they are competing with each other for the best applicants, there is very little between the two of them in terms of rep, it just depends which of the hospitals you would like to study at, if one offered ABB and the other AAB then surely you would perhaps go for the ABB as your firm to know you have some leeway

also studies have shown people with DD are just as likely to do well at medicial schools as someone with AAA, indeed i know a guy with AAAAA whose has just failed his first year twice in a row, perhaps they want to look at more than grades, as long as you have the A in chemistry what does it matter if you fall down a little on spanish or something
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that london unis are pretty much the best for medicine as you hav the opportunity for so much hands on experience right from the start with so many hospitals close by. also, most these unis r known worldwide eg. imperial.. so i would therefore think that they shud giv *slightly* higher offers perhaps. but then i think its a bit of a oxbridge scenario - the hardest part is getting the offer probably not getting the grades.. so if they give u the offer they must think ur good enough. i dont think im making sense any more woops!!

but what i find really mad is that the offer for medicine is ABB yet the offer for economics is AAA!!! wer is the sense in that????????? waaaa i want an ABB offer! :'(
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

How well did you do at the interview? I have just received a letter from UCL today, inviting me to visit their Chemistry department for the day which also includes a 20-minute interview. I haven't really had a proper interview in my life before other than this day in Year 11 when we all pretended to apply for jobs, dress smartly and then be interviewed by some manager at some massive office! I was told that if it was a real one, I would have certainly got the job!

Anyways, they are going to decide on whether to give me an offer after the interview. I'm applying to do Chemistry with European Langauges. My main worry is that I won't have enough to talk about for Chemistry because I have so much to say about learning languages! They said that they read my application with interest but they probably say this to everyone who applies right? Will they base their decision on how well I did at the interview or are my PS and predicted grades more important? And yea, I think I will just dress casually like I do for college on that day.....
Lurker
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apart from Oxbridge, who don't usually give offers below AAB for any subject, everybody I know who applied for Medicine had offers of ABB (mostly from Cardiff and KCL). I think it's just a fairly standard offer.
Tony
Report 16 years ago
You'll be hard pressed to find Medics at UC without 3-4 A's despite some ABB offers. Give the interviewers some credit - they probably recognise a good student when they see one. Same at IC.
MurphysMoment.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Everyone goes on and on about the traffic and hustle and bustle of London. Why? You just have to get used to it and it wont bother you at all.
marina183
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hey there,
I know this isn't really relevant to your question but I couldn't help but warn you that UCL is the biggest **** hole university I have ever seen. I dropped out this year...No not because of my grades but for the fact that the social life, organisation, people, union, etc etc are all just crap. Don't wanna dissapoint you, it's just that I wish someone had told me what I'm telling you.
If you wanna know why it really is a pile of pants just email me back. ([email protected]) if not, i'll just take it that you're gonna go there and make the same mistake I did.
Good Luck anyway
Marina
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads