Turn on thread page Beta

Sociology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice, I am currently studying for my GCSEs and have to decide which A Levels to take by next week. I have already decided i am deffinately taking French, German and History and am toying between Business Studies and Sociology. Is there anyone out there that is doing Sociology that has got any thoughts about what its like, what they think and if they are glad they chose to do it for A Level.
    thanx kirsty xxx :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz)
    I need some advice, I am currently studying for my GCSEs and have to decide which A Levels to take by next week. I have already decided i am deffinately taking French, German and History and am toying between Business Studies and Sociology. Is there anyone out there that is doing Sociology that has got any thoughts about what its like, what they think and if they are glad they chose to do it for A Level.
    yep im doing sociology....its one of my fav subjects and its great! really interesting and relevant to daily life...we have great discussions and even the essays are really interesting to write. tip - if you dont like reading dont pick it...there is a lot of reading! i would def recommend it tho especially as you do history, i find soc and hist go really well! feel free to ask ne specific questions!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do either. take an extra GCSE like human biology to boost your qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Percy)
    Don't do either. take an extra GCSE like human biology to boost your qualifications.
    wot did u take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz)
    I study sociology at AS Level, it is a very fascinating subject, you learn loads about the way society works and loads of things you never knew that you will be surprised about. It's one of my favourite subjects, some people who take maths and sciences (not all) tend to label the subject as easy. It is not easy, neither are any a levels, so you pick whatever you feel is the best. If people try and say don't pick it i wouldn't listen. Im also doing history, and the two blend very well, especially the polictical elements. Have fun choosing

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to have the view that sociology is a soft subject but I've seen some of the stuff my friends do and it looks pretty tricky to me! Besides as a fourth a-level I don't think it should be a problem anyway. It will probably be good support for history and will definatly help your essay writing skills.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is good I do it myself however I do find that even though it's supposed to be unbiased all the teachers that teach it are extremley left wing and it's very easy for you to be influenced by them rather than thinking for yourself, i get into trouble a lot in Sociology because i make comments that are slightly of the right and apparently it's "not fashionable" to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz)

Hi, I did Business studies and sociology A'levels both in one year at college, and I thought they were both fab! However if I had to choose between the two I think I'd do Sociology.
    It helps you to look at events in a more critical manner and you learn a lot of history as well. Should help a lot with history, I know it helps me in my history modules of my degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaz)
    No don't take either they are mickey mouse subjects and aren't respected at all. Do a science or maths subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Sociology is good I do it myself however I do find that even though it's supposed to be unbiased all the teachers that teach it are extremley left wing and it's very easy for you to be influenced by them rather than thinking for yourself, i get into trouble a lot in Sociology because i make comments that are slightly of the right and apparently it's "not fashionable" to do that
    i dont think thats true, it might just be your teachers , because i know my teachers will deliberately play devils advocate and oppose arguments regardless of whether they are leftie or right wing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaginadischarge)
    No don't take either they are mickey mouse subjects and aren't respected at all. Do a science or maths subject.
    you're so ignorant. you must be the mickey mouse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)

Well that is a load of tosh! Most teachers are tories! Yes even the sociology teachers!

ReputationRep:
    It's all right I suppose. It's mainly about learning theories and the people who invented them. It's not the most interesting subject in the world, but then, what is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    you're so ignorant. you must be the mickey mouse

No it is a mickey mouse subject!

SCIENCE OR MATHS SUBJECTS ARE WHAT YOU WANT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS SOMEONE WHO PICKS THE 'EASY' A-LEVELS (i.e, Media Studies, Sociology, Psychology, Law, Business Studies, IT etc).

Language subjects are okay, but not in the same way as any other subject, but they are still appreciated.

Seeing that you are taking two language subjects and an 'arts' subject, I would recommend you take a science or maths subject to compliment them. It would look alot better to have a bit of science mixed in with your other subjects to prospective employers/universities. Even if you just take an AS science as your fourth subject, rather then the full A2. Trust me.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher skived off for that anti-war march and said he'd give us each a fiver if we helped him hand out flyers for the SWP.....

I have the last laugh as I know he is ruled by his wife, she was my food tech teacher for 3 years....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vaginadischarge)
    No it is a mickey mouse subject!

SCIENCE OR MATHS SUBJECTS ARE WHAT YOU WANT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS SOMEONE WHO PICKS THE 'EASY' A-LEVELS (i.e, Media Studies, Sociology, Psychology, Law, Business Studies, IT etc).

*squeak squeak* I'm Minnie Mouse, I have A-Levels in Media Studies, Film Studies, English Language, Psychology, Communiation Studies and am taking Sociology, French and Spanish as an extra at the moment...look at my tail...oooohhhh

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would chose to do Sociology. I am currently studying it and I thought it was going to be good but I hate it so much. It's more homegrown as well which also dosenb't interest me so much. But, it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAZI)
    Personally I would chose to do Sociology. I am currently studying it and I thought it was going to be good but I hate it so much. It's more homegrown as well which also dosenb't interest me so much. But, it's up to you.
    Sorry I meant <i>wouldn't</i>

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    I have a sociology degree and would say it really depends on what you want to do and most importantly what political leanings you hold. Unfortuanlety i started a sociology degree (not having done the subject before) not knowing the huge left-wing bias of the academie. I am glad that i did the subject - as people above have stated it is very interesting in many respects - it provides a huge analytic and critical capacity and you gain a vast grounding in the history of intellectual thought. It is great in this way - it completely uncovered prior assumptions and 'common-sense' values - you will never think in the same way again after studying sociology. But, as i sad, and as you also pointed out - it is essentially a left-wing subject - D. Horowitz calls it 'the discipline of the dissafected' - and that much is true - with popular/contemporary issues covering things like gender, sexualities, racism, the labour market etc etc. But the fundamental grounding is relatively good e.g. in the classical sociologist's work and the founding fathers of philosophy etc. I found it excrutiatingly painful to not be able to express my opinion (i am not left-wing) in class - anyone who is not left-wing (mostly in the extreme!) is laughed at - all opinons that do not fit this mould are critiqued within an inch of their lives of immediately discredited without debate. So much so that my planned graduate study will be firstly taken up by a change of course into something like philosophy which is much more traditional and hopefully more unbiased, with much less relativism and more empiricism and metanarrative theory. You will never find a right-of-centre sociology tutor - they simply do not exist - their work would never get published in the journals - take this from me - someone who has perused such journals for three years. This is not the way it has to be of course, the critical, analytic abilities and the grounding in intellectual thought are great - but since the 1960s sociology has been strictly the preserve of the extreme left. So, if you are of a left-wing opinon - great. But if not you have to be very strong not to be brainwashed, and most importantly you have to be content to be silent and not express your opinions. If you are not passionate about learning the history intellectual/political thought then i would say that it is not worth the pain if your opinons are anything remotely near to right-of-centre - you will be slaughtered and not taken seriously and will certainly not be allowed to express your opinons in your essays - you will get nothing above a 3rd.

Good luck with your decision.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.