Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else worried about the AQA A Module 4 Psychology exam? There just seems to be so much to learn for some topics, yet hardly anything for others (e.g. cultural differences in pro-social behaviour, shift work etc.).

Has anyone studied more than 3 different topics? We've only done Social and personality Development, Pro- and Anti-social Behaviour and Biological Rythms. It's scary that we don't have a choice of question.

ReputationRep:
    um yeh. im kinda worried about all of the a2 exams. they are so much harder and more to learn than the AS ones.

ReputationRep:
    We studied four different topics. Pro and antisocial behaviour, relationships, developmental psychology and evolutionary psychology. We've been told we only need three but to learn all four just in case. im not to bothered coz we can always retake in june(although it would be nice to have it out the way )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButterCookie)
    Anyone else worried about the AQA A Module 4 Psychology exam? There just seems to be so much to learn for some topics, yet hardly anything for others (e.g. cultural differences in pro-social behaviour, shift work etc.).

Has anyone studied more than 3 different topics? We've only done Social and personality Development, Pro- and Anti-social Behaviour and Biological Rythms. It's scary that we don't have a choice of question.

yeah we have to do questions 3, 5 and 10. is that the same as you?

ReputationRep:

whens the exam

ReputationRep:
    Questions 3, 5 and 11 for us.

It's on Jan. 23rd.

HELP!

ReputationRep:
    Questions 3, 5 and 11 for us.

It's on Jan. 23rd.

HELP!
    with what - lol - there is nothing we can do (except try and revise)

ReputationRep:
    I know . . . I just seem to be finding it harder to remember studies and names this year. I'm worried that 'disrupting bio-rythms' is going to come up because I've hardly any notes on it, and can't find much about it in textbooks. The same goes for cultural differences in pro-social behaviour. 1/2 an hour for each essay is not long enough either.

I'll be glad when this exam is over. Module 5 looks interesting, with the mental illness stuff etc.

ReputationRep:
    I know . . . I just seem to be finding it harder to remember studies and names this year. I'm worried that 'disrupting bio-rythms' is going to come up because I've hardly any notes on it, and can't find much about it in textbooks. The same goes for cultural differences in pro-social behaviour. 1/2 an hour for each essay is not long enough either.

I'll be glad when this exam is over. Module 5 looks interesting, with the mental illness stuff etc.

i've got loads of notes for everything - if there's anything u wanna know or don't understand - just ask me and i'll do my best to help you

ReputationRep:
    We're doing relationships, pro and anti social behaviour and sleep (bilogical rhythms).
    Yeah I'm worried about it - mainly because of the actual volume of stuff we need to learn, and the detail - names of researchers, evaluative points etc.
    And then theres the evaluation to worry about once you've actually learnt all the stuff.
    It is definatly a lot more demanding than the AS. I've forgotten everything I've revised so far - I think a big cramming session will be in order on the week of the exam!!

ReputationRep:
    TinyKate - do you know any good research studies for Cultural Differences in Pro-social behaviour, and for things such as jet lag and shift work. For shift work basically all I know is Czeisler's Utah chemical plant study! For cultural differences I know about Nadler, and vaguely about indiviudalistic vs collectivistic societies. I really hope we don't get questions on these things.

Thanx!

ReputationRep:
    For culural differences in pro-social behaviour:
    Whiting & Whiting (1975) - studies 6 different cultures in everyday settings (Kenya, Mexico, the Philippines, the United States, Japan and India). Found that Kenyan, Mexican and Pilipino children were the most alruistic and children from the US the least. W & W also suggested thaat alruistic behavior was least likely in communities in which children competed in schools and were given little responsibility of other members of the family.

Most cross-cultural research tends to support the idea (drawn from mostly American research) that people tend to help those similar to themselves...ie supports sociobiological approach.

HOWEVER..... Feldman (1967) found that greeks who asked a favour in Athens recieved more help than did native greeks. The reverse is true in Boston in paris.....suggests that in some collectivist cultures foreigners are treated in a way that could imply that they are more important and worthy or help than are the natives.

Hope this helps a little.....

ReputationRep:
    TinyKate - do you know any good research studies for Cultural Differences in Pro-social behaviour, and for things such as jet lag and shift work. For shift work basically all I know is Czeisler's Utah chemical plant study! For cultural differences I know about Nadler, and vaguely about indiviudalistic vs collectivistic societies. I really hope we don't get questions on these things.

Thanx!

Eisenberg and Mussen (1989) - reviewed several studies on cross-cultural differences in altruism. The findings were that children in Mexico and Hopi and children on reservation of south-west America and Israeli Kibbutzim are more considerate, kind and co-operative than their American counterparts

AO2:
    Industrialised societies such as the USA and Okinawa place much emphasis on competition and personal success, which is likely to reduceco-operation and altruism.

In Collectivist families e.g. Kenya & the Hopi - children are given major responsibilities, such as caring for young children and these responsibilities help to develop altruistic behavior.

It is possible that members of collectivist cultures expect to receive more co-operation and help from others, in which case their behaviour may be less altruistic than it looks.

Just copied this from my class notes on cultural differences in pro-social behaviour. Hope it helps. Just aske if you've got anymore questions

Love Katie
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Katie if we put yours and my notes together then we should all be experts of the effect of culure on pro-social behaviour!

ReputationRep:
    Jet Lag

Webb & Agnew (1971) - When your body clock is out of sync, therefore, you are tired and light-headed. These side-effects may be due to internal desynchronisation of circadian rhythms.
    They also said: The quickest way to resynchronise is to follow the zeitgabers of the country you are in, rather than your biological clock.

and then there's all about phase advance and phase delay.

Czeisler is the main study for shift-work - that's the only one I've got too.

Coren (1996) pointed out that a cultural shift occured at the beginning of the last century when electric lighting became widely available. This allows factories and offices to operate around the clock, introducing widespread shift-work and longer working hrs. Coren estimates that we sleep for one and a half hrs less that we did a century ago, so many of us are in a constant state of sleep deprivation.

hope this helps too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    Katie if we put yours and my notes together then we should all be experts of the effect of culure on pro-social behaviour!
    yeh that would be ace. thanks for your help too. now all we gotta do is learn it :confused: good luck to everyone doing this module.

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    yeah, just a small problem - learning it all - lol. Its one heck of a module thats for sure - probably more than I learnt for the whole of the AS last year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    yeah, just a small problem - learning it all - lol. Its one heck of a module thats for sure - probably more than I learnt for the whole of the AS last year!!

I know it's gonna be a mission. Are you doing Psychology at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you v. much for your help guys - and good luck for the exam. We must discuss it afterwards (unless it's so distressing that we repress it!)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you v. much for your help guys - and good luck for the exam. We must discuss it afterwards (unless it's so distressing that we repress it!)
    no probs hun

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.