Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

ReputationRep:
    Yaaay - Osborne Clarke offer

ReputationRep:
    i STILL havent heard from withers or manches about my vacation schemes. its starting to depress the hell out of me because some ppl have already had offers and i havent even heard back from my app!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daisy13)
    Cobbetts assessment centre
    Just when I was giving up hope, so happy!

Now also a little bit terrified!
    There's a written exercise. As a non-law, any way of preparing?

Well done to everyone's offers the last few days. And for those with rejections, don't give up!
    Cobbetts AC too, mines in Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_Law)
    Just got this from Charles Russell...

Thank you for your application for a place on our Summer Placement Scheme.

Further to our confirmation of receipt of your application form, we would like to take the opportunity now to advise you of the timeframe for being able to communicate to you the outcome of your application.

We have received a large number of applications and these are currently being reviewed. All of our applications are read in person by a trained reviewer and not automatically sifted by a software programme as we believe that all skills/experience should be taken into consideration. In most instances applications are actually read several times by a number of reviewers. We hope therefore to be in a position to revert to you by the end of March regarding the status of your application.

Whilst writing, we would like to confirm that our Placement Scheme will be taking place between 20 June and 8 July. There are three programmes, each lasting one week with 8 individuals on each scheme.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Charles Russell to date.

Regards

The Trainee Recruitment Team
    for on behalf of Charles Russell LLP

So looks like it's going to be a bit of a wait till we hear from them!
    Same email!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajorani)
    i STILL havent heard from withers or manches about my vacation schemes. its starting to depress the hell out of me because some ppl have already had offers and i havent even heard back from my app!
    They're the top 2 family law firms so they do have a lot of applications.... I know Manches are interviewing until Friday so don't give up yet!!

ReputationRep:
    Congrats to everyone with interviews, offers etc so far! Anyone heard back from Bircham Dyson Bell, HBJ or Capsticks?

ReputationRep:
    I've had three vs interviews, the first was over 2 weeks ago and still hve heard nothing!! Would actually rather a rejection, just so I know and can stop being surgically attached to my phone arghhh...

ReputationRep:
    I had one at SNR Denton last Wed- still heard nothing

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips for the interview part of the Addleshaw Assessment Center?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stalky234)
    Anyone got any tips for the interview part of the Addleshaw Assessment Center?
    I found it fairly standard as far as interviews go. Why law? Why us? Where else have you applied and why? They asked me about some of the days news (healthcare reforms) and my opinion. As far as I remember there was nothing particularly out of the ordinary and it seemed a very friendly and generally positive experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    What did you think of SNR? I was not impressed at all by their interview process. It was definitely the least inspiring interview I've ever had. The girl didn't even make eye contact or show any interest in me, just read out the competencies! Good luck though if you liked them!

Had a missed call from Clifford Chance and now glued to my phone waiting for them to call back... don't dare to do anything in case I miss it again. Really nervous
    If I had to venture a guess, I would say they are going to offer you a place - firms don't call to give out rejections.

I don't want to jinx it for you though so I will save my congratulations for later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eve_22)
    If I had to venture a guess, I would say they are going to offer you a place - firms don't call to give out rejections.

I don't want to jinx it for you though so I will save my congratulations for later!
    CC does but I'm sure it'll be good news for hmaus. Fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:

yeah good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kali_89)
    I found it fairly standard as far as interviews go. Why law? Why us? Where else have you applied and why? They asked me about some of the days news (healthcare reforms) and my opinion. As far as I remember there was nothing particularly out of the ordinary and it seemed a very friendly and generally positive experience.
    Thanks Kali, when was your interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    CC does but I'm sure it'll be good news for hmaus. Fingers crossed.
    My bad! Although it's definitely the first firm I've heard of that does that.

ReputationRep:
    My bad! Although it's definitely the first firm I've heard of that does that.
    No, I think quite a few firms do- I had that last year. It depends what stage you are at I think!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    What did you think of SNR? I was not impressed at all by their interview process. It was definitely the least inspiring interview I've ever had. The girl didn't even make eye contact or show any interest in me, just read out the competencies! Good luck though if you liked them!

Had a missed call from Clifford Chance and now glued to my phone waiting for them to call back... don't dare to do anything in case I miss it again. Really nervous
    Call them back!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.S.M)
    Still nothing from White & Case for me... For those who heard today, did you get an email just in cvmail or in your normal inbox too? I checked both, but nothing yet...
    recived a rejection email from them sometime last week :| well depressing! I actually reall realllyy liked that firm aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoBigOrGoHome)
    Rejection from White & Case for vac scheme
    sameeeeeeee :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Thanks guys.

CC was a rejection but apparently a near miss I am getting so sick of this!

They said verbal reasoning test was good, I passed it fine.

The interview was mixed - commercial question very good. I picked up on all the main issues and explained everything very well. In the general questions I came across as motived and generally decent, but apparently didn't show enough motivation for Clifford Chance in particular (which I thought I did, but apparently not enough!) Also they said my current commercial awaress was just okay, some parts good but I didn't go into enough detail on some things. We didn't really talk much about current news or anything though... maybe I should have randomly brought up some topics *shrug*

Apparently in the group exercise I spotted all the main issues with my partner and explained things articulately, but again was too reserved in the group apparently.

It is kind of what I expected, but still disappointing

I'm starting to wonder what the problem is. I wonder whether I really am not suited to this kind of huge firm and should go smaller, which in all honesty would probably suit me better (my current firm is very small). On the other hand though I want something international and preferably somewhere I can do German-related work.

Guess I will keep hunting for the right place...

I hope Passenger, Gabby and anyone else who was there get better news!
    Hard luck, that is really disappointing. But at least it was a near miss and not a complete rejection- keep positive!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.