The Student Room Group

Vac Schemes 2011: Because when you're a lawyer it's never too early!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Guvnor
A number of firms have radically overhauled their selection procedures in a bid to weed out weak applicants as competition for training contracts remains high.

Herbert Smith has added two exercises to its recruitment process to test what the firm calls ‘intellectual ability’. The top 10 outfit will be adding an online situational judgement test, which candidates will have to take when they first fill in their application form.

http://www.thelawyer.com/1005768.article

Yes, that's exactly right. Herbert Smith has acted in response to the feedback it has received from its current trainees - open ended questions weren't the way to go, apparently. Situation judgment will soon be also added to the application form.
Reply 181
I've just completed the Herbert Smith tests and God were they difficult! I only completed like 15 questions in the logical reasoning test so im expecting a Herbert Smith rejection anytime soon!
Reply 182
Just got my herbert smith rejection! I'm sure its down to my test results; i received the rejection just hours after completing the tests.
Ugh, I hate those stupid tests. You need a lot of practice to do well in them. At least, I do. I mean, I think I'm clever but I often confuse myself in those timed situations.

Incidentally, what is the logical reasoning like? Is it similar to the verbal reasoning, or is it more abstract? Or is it different in that it requires you to extrapolate from the information rather than simply answer comprehension questions?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 184
Yeah, as far as I know my verbal reasoning seemed decent. I think it was just the logical reasoning test; the questions are challenging and when you have limited time to answer them the problem's compounded. I asked the grad rec at HS if they could be specific with their feedback but I received a familiar response- 'due to the high volume of applications we can't give out individual feedback.' Oh well, there isn't too much i can do other than hope that my other applications are received more favourably.
gabbyroslin
Ugh, I hate those stupid tests. You need a lot of practice to do well in them. At least, I do. I mean, I think I'm clever but I often confuse myself in those timed situations.

Incidentally, what is the logical reasoning like? Is it similar to the verbal reasoning, or is it more abstract? Or is it different in that it requires you to extrapolate from the information rather than simply answer comprehension questions?

Logical is usually about pattern finding, and is usually very easy once you get the gist of it.

You can practice some verbal tests on the shl website, this is the test producer most law firms use:

http://www.shl.com/tryatest/takeatest/pages/takeatest-english.aspx

Some other firms, and a lot of investment banks, use kenexa (psl). You can also practice logical (and verbal) here:

www.psl.co.uk/practice/

As everyone has said, the key to these tests is PRACTICE. Give yourself like two hours a day for a week in the run up to your next tests to practice, and don't be surprised if you finish the tests, nearly sure of every answer, with 8 minutes left to play with.

Hope that helps :smile:
maghreblover
Logical is usually about pattern finding, and is usually very easy once you get the gist of it.

I spent about 2 weeks practising for the logic section of the UKCAT when I was at school and could still only work out about 10% of them.

Spent a good few days trying to do them in the last week, and still absolutely no clue. :frown:
Reply 187
maghreblover, that's incredibly useful. Thank you very much
Reply 188
I agree! I don't think any candidate should be rejected solely on the grounds of a test score. They should look at the application in its entirety. Although having said that, with so many applications to get through, it's an effective way of minimising their workload. It's entirely my fault anyway; I really didn't prepare for the exam and so as they failure to prepare is preparation to fail! But at least i can learn from this experience!
To anyone who has completed the Linklaters form; do you have the problem that although it says "at least one (preferably two)" referees, you can't actually save the section unless you have two?
Who'd_Have_Known
To anyone who has completed the Linklaters form; do you have the problem that although it says "at least one (preferably two)" referees, you can't actually save the section unless you have two?

Yes. I just put another one in.
gabbyroslin
Yes. I just put another one in.

I just hate having to find referees- there are very few of my past tutors who I think actually know me well enough to be a referee and I'm on a year abroad this year. Oh well.
Who'd_Have_Known
I just hate having to find referees- there are very few of my past tutors who I think actually know me well enough to be a referee and I'm on a year abroad this year. Oh well.

Bah humbug. I don't think they have to know you terribly well, do they?
But I put someone down from a work experience placement (not legal) ... did you have a job whilst at school or anything?
I've done A&O, Slaughter & May and Herbert Smith. By this stage I was hoping to have had submitted a few more; however I keep going back to my careers centre to ask for advice. Now I gotta put it into practice. Scary! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 194
God I need to get a move on. Damn LPC taking over my life. Slowly making progress on an application to Walker Morris at the moment.
(edited 13 years ago)
passenger17a
I've done A&O, Slaughter & May and Herbert Smith. By this stage I was hoping to have had submitted a few more; however I keep going back to my careers centre to ask for advice. Now I gotta put it into practice. Scary! :biggrin:

are you applying for winter vac schemes?
Reply 196
passenger17a

I swear Slaughter and A&O don't open till November/December...? Or are these Winter schemes?
For those who've already applied, how did you come to decide on what firms to apply to?
Reply 198
sleekchic
For those who've already applied, how did you come to decide on what firms to apply to?

Long hours of research (reading, attending presentations, speaking to fellow students and others with experience of law firms in the City) led me to select fifteen or so best firms that I could see myself applying to (I chose a mixture of MC, SC and US - I think it'd be good to experience a variety) and submitted my applications to them in the order of personal preference. I had most of my apps prepared in advance, at least in so far as 'why X firm', 'why commercial law', 'why City' and etc. are concerned, so the task wasn't a particularly draining one.

On a different note, I applied to CMS Cameron McKenna on 1 October and did the VS test on 3 October. I got an acknowledgment email, saying I should expect a reply within 5 working days, which, needless to say, never came :frown: Should I inquire about it or give them some more time?
angelmxxx
are you applying for winter vac schemes?

QBC123
I swear Slaughter and A&O don't open till November/December...? Or are these Winter schemes?

Yes, winter vac schemes though Slaughter & May is for a TC. I'm a non-law grad student. By most firms I was encouraged to apply for a vac scheme first before putting my effort into TC applications.

eve_22
On a different note, I applied to CMS Cameron McKenna on 1 October and did the VS test on 3 October. I got an acknowledgment email, saying I should expect a reply within 5 working days, which, needless to say, never came Should I inquire about it or give them some more time?

Tbh, I'd give it 2 weeks. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending