St Mary;s to become mixed

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Veedy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Apparently St Mary's college is going to admit both men and women from next year as a result of a sustained period of very low applications. This year, only about 200 out of 20000 applicants selected St Mary's as their first choice.
What do you people think - a good decision or a bad decision?
pikaboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Veedy)
Apparently St Mary's college is going to admit both men and women from next year as a result of a sustained period of very low applications. This year, only about 200 out of 20000 applicants selected St Mary's as their first choice.
What do you people think - a good decision or a bad decision?
I was one of 20,000 applicants for Durham?! Wow.
I think it should be mixed though, it would make the college selection process more balanced and equal. There's a lot of applications going to Castle and not many to the ones with rather negative reputations (such as Mary's)
ezmirelda
Report 16 years ago
Good from the perspective of general fairness and raising applications. Bad for the women who would prefer an all female environment. As a member of the JCR there, when our opinion was asked I voted against it.

ez
AmyBlue
Report 16 years ago
my mate who is involved with the DSU said that it won't happen, because the university have said that they want to have an all female college in order to provide a choice of colleges similar to that of Oxbridge (as they both still have all female colleges), he doesn't reckon there is any chance of Mary's becoming mixed until Oxbridge mix their single sex colleges. Don't know how true this is tho!
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the dean of university college e-mailed me and said that he had heard it was going mixed next year. makes no difference to me, i'm still not going there because of them putting me there (wanted a bailey college, and either university or hatfield).
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (91)
22.14%
No (320)
77.86%

Watched Threads