The Student Room Group

Post your major/minor faults here! [A list to help each other]

I want to create a thread all of the major/minor faults that people have experienced during their UK driving tests.

The aim of this thread is to help others so they know what to look our for.

For discussion/ranting post here

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
4 minors for observation (mirrors) one for road positioning and one for signalling... Can't really remember it was 6 years ago now.
Reply 2
I know someone who had 3 serious and 3 dangerouses lol

I think they might have gone through a red light, not stopped at a zebra crossing, and evidently some other pretty bad stuff too :L
Reply 3
First Test
1 major for not slowing when driving through an unmarked crossroad
1 major for driving through a large puddle (awareness)
I can't remember the minors

Second Test
1 minor for undue hesitation
1 minor for steering (there were more cars on the road I was turning into than I had anticipated)
Reply 4
Two minors for indicating and one for observation. I made loads more but luckily the examiner didn't notice :colondollar: Good luck in your test :smile:
1 for braking too harshly when approaching changing traffic lights
1 for pulling over into a bus lane when told to find a 'safe and legal spot' (luckily the bus didn't come or I would've failed)
1 for not having much control over one of my manoeuvres (parallel parking, kept shuffling too much)
Reply 6
1 minor for indicating too early (in fairness I didn't see the junction because it was round a bend) but I cancelled the signal as soon as I did see it. :u:
1 minor for observation in reverse round a corner (I came in too close to the kerb, so had to go forward again to correct it and after that I kept staring in my left mirror)

2 minors for observation in change of direction (I didn't observe when going in and out of a bus lane)

and the last one was for signalling but I can't remember what for :P
Reply 8
First test: I stalled the car on the way back to the test centre ( it was in sight too), panicked and the examiner had to put the car in to gear.Got 1 major for that......the examiner was going to pass me before that happened.

Second test: Driving over the ( lowered) curb during reversing around the corner.Again another major.

I have no idea what my minors were for either test.
Reply 9
2 minors for 'undue hesitation', 1 for gears and 1 for my parallel park.
Quite a few for stalling! Can't remember the others but I know I amazingly had no minors for mirrors!
Reply 11
One awkward gear change and hesitation when doing the reverse around corner.
Reply 12
Passed first time with two minors:

- 1st was in control for having to straighten up my parking
- 2nd was in meeting traffic, but the examiner didn't say exactly what it was I did (and having passed I didn't really care either!)
Reply 13
Haven't done my test yet (it's in September) but the kerbing the car seems such a small mistake that counts as a major. Done that a few times in lessons. >_O

Same with rolling back - minor if it's small but a major if there is a car behind you, even if it's a little bit. Same mistake but can be the difference between a pass and a fail. :/
Reply 14
1 minor = didn't check the mirrors "properly" when pulling away.
Reply 15
Rawr.ox
Haven't done my test yet (it's in September) but the kerbing the car seems such a small mistake that counts as a major. Done that a few times in lessons. >_O

Same with rolling back - minor if it's small but a major if there is a car behind you, even if it's a little bit. Same mistake but can be the difference between a pass and a fail. :/

The examiner would turn around and say "what if a child was on the pavement etc".
Reply 16
thatsnumberwang
Basically I want to create a list of all of the major/minor faults that people have experienced during their tests so I have some idea what to look out for during my next test ... :cool:

1 minor: apparently i turned wide onto a road even though the road was so wide its actually quite hard to do that :mad:
First test
3 minors - 2 mirrors (one for changing speed and one for turning left/right), cant remember the other
1 major - turning right (weird junction and got confused as to whther I had to pass right over and go through the island in the middle)

Second test
7 minors - 4 mirrors (2 for checking when slowing down and 2 for checking when signalling), clearance/obstructions (a car had parked less than 10m from a junction and so i had to get close to it when getting to the end), control during turn in the road (made me do a turn in a road on a very tight road due to there being a rubbish truck blocking the road and so I had to do it in 5 turns), cant remember the other

Hope that helps you and just to elt you know the second route was much harder than the first :smile:
Reply 18
Good thread, I know what to look for when it comes to my test :smile:
Reply 19
2 minors:
ummmm can't remember it properly but one was because I turned a bit too quickly at a sharp bend and the other thing I think was undue hesitation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending