Post your major/minor faults here! [A list to help each other]

Watch
thatsnumberwang
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I want to create a thread all of the major/minor faults that people have experienced during their UK driving tests.

The aim of this thread is to help others so they know what to look our for.

For discussion/ranting post here

Steeps
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 years ago
4 minors for observation (mirrors) one for road positioning and one for signalling... Can't really remember it was 6 years ago now.
rosabob
Report 11 years ago
I know someone who had 3 serious and 3 dangerouses lol

I think they might have gone through a red light, not stopped at a zebra crossing, and evidently some other pretty bad stuff too :L
doivid
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
First Test
1 major for not slowing when driving through an unmarked crossroad
1 major for driving through a large puddle (awareness)
I can't remember the minors

Second Test
1 minor for undue hesitation
1 minor for steering (there were more cars on the road I was turning into than I had anticipated)
xmarilynx
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Two minors for indicating and one for observation. I made loads more but luckily the examiner didn't notice Good luck in your test
Queen_Pinky
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
1 for braking too harshly when approaching changing traffic lights
1 for pulling over into a bus lane when told to find a 'safe and legal spot' (luckily the bus didn't come or I would've failed)
1 for not having much control over one of my manoeuvres (parallel parking, kept shuffling too much)
bigmo7
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
1 minor for indicating too early (in fairness I didn't see the junction because it was round a bend) but I cancelled the signal as soon as I did see it.
outlaw-torn
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
1 minor for observation in reverse round a corner (I came in too close to the kerb, so had to go forward again to correct it and after that I kept staring in my left mirror)

2 minors for observation in change of direction (I didn't observe when going in and out of a bus lane)

and the last one was for signalling but I can't remember what for :P
Annie72
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
First test: I stalled the car on the way back to the test centre ( it was in sight too), panicked and the examiner had to put the car in to gear.Got 1 major for that......the examiner was going to pass me before that happened.

Second test: Driving over the ( lowered) curb during reversing around the corner.Again another major.

I have no idea what my minors were for either test.
d.b.asf
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
2 minors for 'undue hesitation', 1 for gears and 1 for my parallel park.
callum Honisett
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Quite a few for stalling! Can't remember the others but I know I amazingly had no minors for mirrors!
jpye11
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
One awkward gear change and hesitation when doing the reverse around corner.
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Passed first time with two minors:

- 1st was in control for having to straighten up my parking
- 2nd was in meeting traffic, but the examiner didn't say exactly what it was I did (and having passed I didn't really care either!)
Rawr.ox
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Haven't done my test yet (it's in September) but the kerbing the car seems such a small mistake that counts as a major. Done that a few times in lessons. >_O

Same with rolling back - minor if it's small but a major if there is a car behind you, even if it's a little bit. Same mistake but can be the difference between a pass and a fail. :/
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
1 minor = didn't check the mirrors "properly" when pulling away.
M1F2R3
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rawr.ox)
Haven't done my test yet (it's in September) but the kerbing the car seems such a small mistake that counts as a major. Done that a few times in lessons. >_O

Same with rolling back - minor if it's small but a major if there is a car behind you, even if it's a little bit. Same mistake but can be the difference between a pass and a fail. :/
The examiner would turn around and say "what if a child was on the pavement etc".
tkwan196
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thatsnumberwang)
Basically I want to create a list of all of the major/minor faults that people have experienced during their tests so I have some idea what to look out for during my next test ... :cool:
1 minor: apparently i turned wide onto a road even though the road was so wide its actually quite hard to do that :mad:
RamsFanNo1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
First test
3 minors - 2 mirrors (one for changing speed and one for turning left/right), cant remember the other
1 major - turning right (weird junction and got confused as to whther I had to pass right over and go through the island in the middle)

Second test
7 minors - 4 mirrors (2 for checking when slowing down and 2 for checking when signalling), clearance/obstructions (a car had parked less than 10m from a junction and so i had to get close to it when getting to the end), control during turn in the road (made me do a turn in a road on a very tight road due to there being a rubbish truck blocking the road and so I had to do it in 5 turns), cant remember the other

Hope that helps you and just to elt you know the second route was much harder than the first
Jsmalley1
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
Good thread, I know what to look for when it comes to my test
TheSmurfs
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 11 years ago
2 minors:
ummmm can't remember it properly but one was because I turned a bit too quickly at a sharp bend and the other thing I think was undue hesitation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (42)
23.86%
Note taking apps (5)
2.84%
Flashcards (31)
17.61%
Revision guides (5)
2.84%
Past papers (87)
49.43%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.41%

Watched Threads