This discussion is closed.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Lol OK.

What you mean it doesn't work... is that a compliment?
Physics experiments never work - the trick is in having a good explaination for why it failed
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Physics experiments never work - the trick is in having a good explaination for why it failed
Or if it works it is never ther eal reason for why it works:

eg take the lit candle in bell experiment, water moves up the cylinder cause o2 is really been combusted up isnt it? :rolleyes:
Acid_Rain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
YOU DO NOT JUST COLOUR IN IN GEOGRAPHY *HUMPH* I HAVENT PICKED UP A COLOURING PENCIL FOR GEO THROUGHOUT MY A LEVELS HUMPH
LOL, maybe it's just my course that did then (the board was Edexcel after all )

T'is the best statement to use to wind up any geo students anywayz
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Physical geography is scientific, whereas human geography is a humanity/arts.
By the way, geography is NOT a colouring degree, nor is it all about capital cities :mad:
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i havent done OS map work in geog since i was about 11 lol and we dont s anything bout learning capital cities lol! i think the problem is that geog changes a lot from pre gcse to gcse to as to a to degree level and hence ppl who havent done each stage cannot see beyond the work they have done. geog is so diverse you can study so many differnt areas eg some areas are just like applied physics, geog involves a lot of statisics work, a lot of sociology-type stuf, ecology uses a lot of biology and areas use a lot of chemistry etc. I throughly believe geog is the most diverse subject, and hence impossible to type-cast.
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think it's a bit of both....................i do gcse geography and it relly helps for science................and then there's the arty bit!
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have to say though that my fellow geology students who did geography modules at degree level said they were a complete doss (compared to the geology modules)...and my experience tallies with them (I mean we had a few lectures on hydrology and they didn't even *mention* groundwater and only dealt with run off - talk about oversimplification).

And of course the people who did chemistry modules said they made the geology modules seem like a bit of a doss in comparison (although chemistry even at degree level is a lot more cut and dried than geology is so the learning technique is different (ie the chem modules are very much "learn and understand these facts" the geology modules are more "these are some theories, this is some evidence that backs up those theories, this is the evidence that doesn't back up those theoroies, use these theories and evidence to come up with a more robust set of theories".)
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I have to say though that my fellow geology students who did geography modules at degree level said they were a complete doss (compared to the geology modules)...and my experience tallies with them (I mean we had a few lectures on hydrology and they didn't even *mention* groundwater and only dealt with run off - talk about oversimplification).
You must have been on a very poor quality degree course then.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
You must have been on a very poor quality degree course then.
Not really (the module in question I took as an optional extra and was a 1st yr module...they managed to arrange the presentation coursework to clash with my spain fieldtrip though so I dropped it in the end) although I can't say I believe that the people studying straight geography got as good as quality degree as the people studying geology - even though the Times ranked the geography dept 8th in the country and the geology dept 9th
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (2)
40%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
20%
No- I want it (2)
40%
No- I don't want it (0)
0%

Watched Threads