The Student Room Group

My head itches / tickles, but I KNOW I don't have nits...

For the past few weeks, my head has been really itchy / tickly (more tickly).
I've had my mum go through my hair for nits (and she's REALLY thorough), and she found nothing, then we had a doctor go through it because I still itched and THEY found nothing - and apparently I have no dandruff / build up of shampoo / conditioner products.

That's all I know that could cause the sensation, and I'm worrying 'cause people are getting the wrong idea - I'm scratching alot.

I've thought about Delusion Parasitosis but I'm not too sure it fits the bill....

Thoughts anyone.... Please?

Scroll to see replies

stop scratching it. normally helps.
I used to get this all the time. I have to use Head and Shoulders or it's literally like I have fleas.

You could try that for a couple of weeks and see if it works?
It could be you have eczema or something on your scalp? Though you woul;d have thought the doctor woul;d have picked up on this. Maybe go into your local pharmacy and see if they can give you some hair products which will help with this. My brother has eczema on his scalp and has special shampoo/conditioner to help with it.

Otherwise it could jsu be you've gotten into the habit of it and think it's itchy, like you already said. But yeah, I'd go see a pharmacist about it :smile:
You have nits.
Reply 5
It could be cos of sweating...
Sweat, eczema, lice, habit, shampoo allergy and for me, rainwater can make your head itchy.

Change your shampoo for a more 'natural' one, and stop scratching.
Whenever I get a bad cough for weeks afterwards I am constantly coughing for no reason at all, just habit.

See how it goes and speak to your doc again.
Go to the pharmacy and ask for 'Nizorel' shampoo (or something like that). You may have a slight fungal infection in your scalp; I had the same and this shampoo (although it smells awful) really helped and my itching stopped after a few uses.
Reply 8
iced_dragon_agility
Go to the pharmacy and ask for 'Nizorel' shampoo (or something like that). You may have a slight fungal infection in your scalp; I had the same and this shampoo (although it smells awful) really helped and my itching stopped after a few uses.

Yeah, it's Nizoral. I use it for dandruff, works a dream
Reply 9
It's most likely just the heat making your scalp itchy, which is known as 'prickly heat'. If it's not that, it could be a fungal infection on your scalp, which reproduces a similar effect to that of prickly heat, even when it's not hot.
Seborrheic dermatitis?
I have a pretty mild case of it so it was quite hard to diagnose, my only symptoms were hair falling out and itchiness. Usually people with seb derm you can see dandruff and their scalp is red raw. Maybe you also have a mild case? In which case it's quite hard to get under control, but like someone else said, Nizoral definately helps it alot!
Thanks guys
The shampoo allergy thing - I use tresseme stuff, but haven't checked it for Sodium Lauryl/Laureth sulfate (I'm allergic to that, gives me a really bad rash) - I'll look later when I get home.

As for the guy that said I have nits - I've been checked twice by mum and once by a professional, I'm pretty damn confident I don't.

Prickly heat, maybe, but it also happens when I'm cold.

Could also just be psychosemantic I suppose, the thought that I might have nits making me itch....

I think I'll take the Head & Shoulders idea and try that, if all else fails I'll see a dermatologist :smile:

Thanks guys
Reply 12
LeaffyLeBrindille
Thanks guys
The shampoo allergy thing - I use tresseme stuff, but haven't checked it for Sodium Lauryl/Laureth sulfate (I'm allergic to that, gives me a really bad rash) - I'll look later when I get home.

As for the guy that said I have nits - I've been checked twice by mum and once by a professional, I'm pretty damn confident I don't.

Prickly heat, maybe, but it also happens when I'm cold.

Could also just be psychosemantic I suppose, the thought that I might have nits making me itch....

I think I'll take the Head & Shoulders idea and try that, if all else fails I'll see a dermatologist :smile:

Thanks guys

Wait, you're allergic to possible THE most common surfactant on the planet, and you don't check shampoo for it before you buy? No idea about Tresseme, but also double check for sodium dodecyl sulphate (which is what we call SLS in the lab)
Ooh, i used to get this!

Mine was due to a dry scalp, i spoke to my doctor and he told me to use johnsons babys shampoo (the yellow one). Because it's PH balanced and less acidic then things like head and shoulders it doesn't make it dry out as much. Not too badly priced either, worth a try at least!
Heads and Shoulders is really bad- the ingredients they put in are so harsh. I mean, it's fine if you have a healthy scalp, but if it's not already, then it'd make it worse.
Baby shampoo is also harsh; it's used to remove cradle cap. PH balanced doesn't mean anything- the water and your head will change the PH as soon as it makes contact.
Shampoos which don't have SLS in are Boots Expert anti dandruff for sensitive scalps and E45 shampoo.
Bekaboo
Wait, you're allergic to possible THE most common surfactant on the planet, and you don't check shampoo for it before you buy? No idea about Tresseme, but also double check for sodium dodecyl sulphate (which is what we call SLS in the lab)

It's one or the other, all I know is it's the one that's in bubblebaths but not normally hair care products - it's why I don't bath, but instead shower more often. I do check products I use for bath's, but hair care stuff doesn't normally do it. I might try that Johnsons stuff, it won't kill me to try after all, and if it's not too dear then it won't be a waste of money if it doesn't work.

{edit} Just saw chinaberry's post - what would you recommend me to use then?
Reply 16
LeaffyLeBrindille
For the past few weeks, my head has been really itchy / tickly (more tickly).
I've had my mum go through my hair for nits (and she's REALLY thorough), and she found nothing, then we had a doctor go through it because I still itched and THEY found nothing - and apparently I have no dandruff / build up of shampoo / conditioner products.

That's all I know that could cause the sensation, and I'm worrying 'cause people are getting the wrong idea - I'm scratching alot.

I've thought about Delusion Parasitosis but I'm not too sure it fits the bill....

Thoughts anyone.... Please?

Could be many things:

Allergies - you don't have to have had an allergy before for you to be allergic now, try changing shampoo/conditioner or other products that you use.

Fungal infection - if you have flakey skin in particular, or scaley skin on your scalp this could be the cause. There are many easy to use, (possibly over the counter?), shampoos that should help with this.

Psoriasis - look it up, its plausible, but I would have thought the GP might have suggested this to you!

Seborrhoea - another common thing, hypersensitivity to normal skin flora

Side-effect of some drugs

Sunburn

Eczema

Insect bite

Hope that that helps!
Hi same here my head is like sssooo ssssooo itchy and my mums like do u have nits ? And I am like what why would I ? She said because I am scratching my head with BOTH my hands she checked me a few times but it was completely empty ! I need help too
My head is so itchy I had my mom check a couple times a day, but she found nothing, please help, IM GOING CRAZY!!
Reply 19
I had the same problem as well, there is this type of head and shoulders shampoo that is for itchy scalps and I would recommend using it to stop the itchiness!

Latest