This discussion is closed.
msnmsger
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am an international student and don't know too much about UK Unis. By chance I sent CVs to physics in Warwick and the staff replied me one hour later. She asked me to go for an interview and urged me to submit ORS(overseas research studentship). It seems to be quite positive (as I got a little bit confident in my records)--while I am waiting for replies from Cambridge and ORS cannot be applied in more than one institutions.

I'd like ask how good is Warwick? They got good reputation in UK but not worldwide as it is very young (unlike Cam Ox IC LSE & UCL). Even not as good as Shef, Nottingham and Birmingham in terms of research income.But nevertheless their physics got 5 in RAE. So I am hesitating what to do next,to find another in the premier league (internationally well known) or stick to Warwick as Cambridge alternative?
msnmsger
No one reply....
I know lots of UGs here....

(Original post by msnmsger)
I am an international student and don't know too much about UK Unis. By chance I sent CVs to physics in Warwick and the staff replied me one hour later. She asked me to go for an interview and urged me to submit ORS(overseas research studentship). It seems to be quite positive (as I got a little bit confident in my records)--while I am waiting for replies from Cambridge and ORS cannot be applied in more than one institutions.

I'd like ask how good is Warwick? They got good reputation in UK but not worldwide as it is very young (unlike Cam Ox IC LSE & UCL). Even not as good as Shef, Nottingham and Birmingham in terms of research income.But nevertheless their physics got 5 in RAE. So I am hesitating what to do next,to find another in the premier league (internationally well known) or stick to Warwick as Cambridge alternative?
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They want foreign students to come over as they are worth 3 times as much than local ones, for funding.
msnmsger
(Original post by 2776)
They want foreign students to come over as they are worth 3 times as much than local ones, for funding.
Sorry I don't know why you are so unfriendly.
I go there to be funded. if I cannot find fund, I will find somewhere else. I have secured fund in a so-so uni and going to find fund in IC or Cam.
International students take many position in non-funding course as they pay much higher tuition fee.
But for funding, they need higher qualification comparing to UK/EU residents, who can find funds easily by EPSRC or other Councils.

Many thanks for you reply anyway.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry I don't know why you are so unfriendly.
I go there to be funded. if I cannot find fund, I will find somewhere else. I have secured fund in a so-so uni and going to find fund in IC or Cam.
International students take many position in non-funding course as they pay much higher tuition fee.
But for funding, they need higher qualification comparing to UK/EU residents, who can find funds easily by EPSRC or other Councils.

Many thanks for you reply anyway.
No, that was not unfriendly. It was implying that foreign students that pay tution fees have higher chance getting to unis, than locals.
msnmsger
(Original post by 2776)
No, that was not unfriendly. It was implying that foreign students that pay tution fees have higher chance getting to unis, than locals.
See....and I agree for undergraduate courses or taught masters which are normally not funded internationl studens do have much more chances...

Got any ideas about my questions?? Seems this forum is not for postgraduates....
Maybe I should travel to warwick to find out myself.

Thanks!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Warwick are renowned as a "priemer" class UNI. Especially for maths/physics. As a second choice, it isn't bad at all.
msnmsger
(Original post by 2776)
Warwick are renowned as a "priemer" class UNI. Especially for maths/physics. As a second choice, it isn't bad at all.
Yeah, I see Warwick is popular here and got high quality students.
they got good results in RAE. While total research grant for university isn't that much (comparing to their overall ranking) which confused me...
Maybe that due to its relative small size in engineering and science faculties.
scorpio
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I see Warwick is popular here and got high quality students.
they got good results in RAE. While total research grant for university isn't that much (comparing to their overall ranking) which confused me...
Maybe that due to its relative small size in engineering and science faculties.
Warwick is a good student atmosphere. The work can be tough and the hours in the day seem to last forever if you have a full timetable, but most of the people here are fine. Drink is very expensive in comparison to other unis's but apart from that, its cool
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'd agree with that, I think it's a great place. Know quite a few people doing Physics, none postgrad though. They say the course is mathmatically orientated rather than the other side of physics (apparently there's lots of parts of physics, I wouldn't know, it was my worst science) and there's a lot of work to do.

Campus is really nice, there's lots of overseas people so you wouldn't feel out of place.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Warwick is a good university - however if you want to go to one with an international reputation *in physics* then you really need to be applying to universities which got 5* in the RAE (http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/rae_dynami...yuoa/uoa19.htm )

5* (five star)
Quality that equates to attainable levels of international excellence in more than half of the research activity submitted and attainable levels of national excellence in the remainder.

Quality that equates to attainable levels of international excellence in up to half of the research activity submitted and to attainable levels of national excellence in virtually all of the remainder.
msnmsger
Thank you all
Your saying are quite helpful!
I am going to think it carefully
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (386)
67.13%
No (189)
32.87%

Watched Threads