llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've spent the past couple of days trawling through Koenig's 'Question' thread on here, collecting some commonly asked along with their answers, and with his permission I am proud to present...

The Royal Holloway FAQ!

The FAQ is divided up into different sections, with the questions and their answers in a (hopefully) logical order. Just click on the spoilers below to reveal what you're looking for!

I've given due credit to both those who have asked the questions and those who have been so helpful as to answer them, though I may have re-worded certain sentances or phrases for the purposes of this FAQ.

Of course Koenig's thread is still ongoing and is great for more specific questions, and one thing that it might appear I've missed out in the FAQ is a section for questions about individual subjects. This is due to the massively variable nature of the different subjects offered at RHUL, so if you have any specific questions about what you're studying or hoping to study, it's best to ask that in Koenig's thread here: Post a Question about RHUL...

Here is a list of members who are either currently at RHUL or have attended in the past and who are happy to answer subject-specific questions, as well as questions on other topics:

LizB - History, Historical Reenactment Society
dmoorcroft - Geography, Geology, Halls, MTS, Campus Employment
Princess_Betty - Music
purpleheart - BioSciences, Absolute Harmony (choir), Undergraduated (Big Band)
Sweyn Forkbeard - History
Hadhfand - Drama

If there is anything you think I've missed out, let me know and I'll add it here!

Royal Holloway Stalking/Connect page is here!

General Academic Questions

General Academic Questions
Sophie_10: Do all courses require you to be interviewed beforehand, before being offered a place?

Miyamoto Musashi: No, it depends on the course, but for English I only had one interview after applying to 5 different universities [and it wasn't RH].

siddy_1990: I've applied for *insert subject here* and been offered a place with the condition to get ABB (for example). I was wondering if they would accept AAC or ABC? (for example).

jennyng2000: If you dont make the grades they can technically not let you in, but they will only do this if the course is very full. AAC does not fullfil the ABB condition, but RHUL are very good and will often let you in if they can. Basically it depends how well everyone else does.

goonerjack: Just wondering what the teaching dates are like for RHUL - I know there's 3 terms (Sep-Dec / Jan-March / April-June) but are there lectures in all 3 terms or is the last term just for exams?

bowdeni: The last term is just exams.

niv12: Anyone know how long Freshers is and when our course starts?

gm15: You move in at the weekend and Freshers week proper starts the Monday and lasts the week. Courses should start the first Monday after Freshers week is over.

llacerta: This year, students are moving in on the 18th of September with Freshers commencing on the 20th. Courses start the following Monday.

talk_ape: Should we buy all book son the reading list or just read all of them?

GodspeedGehenna: Neither. Certainly don't buy anything until you've actually started your course. Buy them as you need them, and buy them off previous students. You'll save a lot of money because you won't even touch 95% of the reading list.

The Lyceum: When are exam results normally out?

Koenig: Depends on your course. Being a geographer, I get mine back on the 12th June. However most subjects get theirs mid July or later. It's different for every course.

Accommodation Questions

Accommodation Questions
Arailym: If I apply for accomodation in mid-May, will they give me my 2nd or 3rd choice?

Koenig: Accommodation is on a first come first serve basis, so apply as soon as possible.

9.2: When did you hear which accommodation you got?

llacerta: It appears that overseas students, unconditional offer holders and those who have priority for any other reason (e.g. disabled students) hear back first, sometime in June, followed by conditional offer holders in July and onwards.

i_am_disco: How do I go about doing a room swap if I’m not happy with where I’ve been allocated?

LJBzzz:
It says on the website that if you swap, you can only do it after the first two weeks and then you have to pay your original room fees for the first term.

samanathachan03: What are the chances of not getting accommodation if RHUL is your insurance choice?

SuperStaah: You will almost definitely get accommodation if RHUL is your insurance. If you call up the housing bureau on results day, they'll tell you that its very unlikely that you'll get into halls and that you should look into getting something private, but that's just rubbish. I went to the Clearing open day after getting into RHUL and they said that once they start allocating people places for halls, people start moving up the waiting list very fast. I went from #200 to #70 in a matter of days. Just apply ASAP if you do end up getting into RHUL and you should have nothing to worry about.

Arailym: If you are in one of the term-time-let halls such as Founder's and you can't leave for the break-time (winter/spring breaks), can you pay an extra payment in order to stay there?

Lost_in_a_daydream: Yeah, you can. There are posters up and you usually get an email round a few weeks before the end of term, detailing which hall has been allocated to provide "vacation residence". You then have to make an application for this. If it's a question of stuff...try and find a friend who keeps them room all year to save yourself some pennies!

half_full18: I have a 30 week contract, so in the holidays does all the kitchen equipment I'm taking have to go too? Because there's alot of it (I'm quite a keen cook) and that would make quite a bit of difference!

apotoftea: Usually it is take EVERYTHING because it's used by conference attendees and staff working at varying local events so there is a chance it may well be stolen or broken.

ltm: I was just wondering- there are 8 people sharing per flat in the accommodation halls, is this mixed randomly, or are they split (e.g. 4 male 4 female)?

apotoftea: Normally random. My flat was all girls though because of someone's religious/personal beliefs where she wasn't allowed to live with smelly boys. But usually deffo a nice mix, might be 5-3 or 6-2 for example.

Yuliya: I would like to ask what is the issue with the guests. I mean, for example if I want to invite a friend or one of my parents for 2-3 days can they stay in my room, or do they have to book a hotel?

Shortarse: If you have friends over it's easier for them to stay in your room as long as it's not too obvious (you're not really allowed guests overnight in your room but security aren't too strict about this).

apotoftea: For parents - the HUB would be ideal - it's on campus too.

james_birkett: Are the places nearby where 2nd years find houses any good or quite sleepy?

apotoftea: Egham and Englefield Green where most students live in their second and third years are pretty quiet. Campus IS quiet on weekends and a lot of people go home to avoid the bubble effect of the campus.

SuperStaah: Is the Internet connection in the rooms any good? Also, do you have to pay for a cable, or is it wireless?

apotoftea: Founders is wireless, everywhere else you need a cable which are £1.50 in the college shop. It's alright actually - has moments where it is appallingly slow but for the most part, it's pretty quick.

icedsarcasm: So how do rooms (specifically G&W and WTB) work in terms of locking doors? One assumes there's a code to get into the building, but is there one for individual flats? Do rooms have locks?

editz: The front door anyone can open. Then the inner door to get into the staircases or lifts are accessed via your key card, or a pin. Then your flat is accessed by your key card. Then your room is accessed by your key card, and rooms have locks on them. But I think the key card overides it - so if its locked, the cleaner can still come in!

SuperStaah: Are we allowed mini fridges in our rooms? Or is anyone bringing one?

goonerjack: Mini fridges - I've read somewhere that you're not allowed them in rooms, they can fuse the whole floor so you might not be too popular! You get a fridge in the kitchen anyway even in catered.

dielast2: What about printers? Does each flat have one? Am I allowed to bring my own?

apotoftea: Only printers available to students on campus are in the computer centres. I took one with me as they're invaluable if you're doing a subject that requires lots of journal reading.

Koenig: The university computers are cheap to use. I used mine for all of my projects and essays, which was just easier than getting my own.

skurvina: I know we can stick posters and photos on our wall but what rules are there regarding changes made about our room? How far can we go when decorating?

apotoftea: You can't do anything to be honest! Otherwise you'll be fined for it. There's also enough notice board not to need to stick stuff to the walls. If you do, use white tac (and yes they will check).

Campus Questions

Campus Questions
Arailym: Is the campus as stunning as in pictures?

Koenig: Campus I think is pretty amazing, plenty of green space that's always good for a kick about and perfect for snow days. There's a pond and the little forest/wood area that you walk through, that's nice. And there's loads of hidden fields that aren't really hidden but you don't know they are there until you stumble along them.

thewindupbird: Can you cycle around the campus? I love my bike but I know sometimes people can be weird about it. Also are there stairs and the like that will make it impossible?

Apotoftea: Loads of people have bikes (and loads of covered, indoor and outdoor bike racks too) and campus is pretty easy to get around as there is the road (which is pedestrian right of way first rather than cars) that goes all the way round. Once you learn where all the step free routes are (and there are plenty of them) bike's a good way of getting around and even down to Egham.

AusFran: Does anyone know what the gym is like? Is it worth joining? Also, is it far from Founders?

LJBzzz: It's right at the opposite end of the campus to Founders. I think its about £150. I had a look around it during the visit day and it has most of the equipment that you would expect a gym to have.

icedsarcasm: Anyone know where one might find a post box on/near campus?

apotoftea: Outside the college shop.

Local Area Questions

Local Area Questions
BojanglesELF: What's the safety like in Egham? Is it rough or calm, is there anything I should particularly know about before applying to RHUL?

WokSz: Generally, Egham is VERY safe espcially around the back entrance to the University. There's no doubt that Egham is really small, but you get the campus, which should cater for most of your needs! There's Police that drives around my area on an hourly basis and crime rate does seem to be really low.

coolitman: How difficult is it to get into Staines?

themadone: It's very easy to get to Staines. You've got 4 buses an hour that leave from just outside campus...probably takes around 20 minute I think? Or you can walk to the train station (10-15minutes) and catch one of 4 trains an hour (5minutes). Walking is probably a little too far - it'll take well over 1.5 hours - but cycling is feasible.

LizB: As others have said the busses tend to be more costly than the train and so for going to Staines I'd say take the train. Going the other way though, to Windsor or Slough (not that you'd want to, take it from somone who commutes from Slough) the Bus is probably the way to go, it runs every half hour from a stop right outside the college. It's not cheap but the busses are regular and generally quite comfortable as the route runs all the way to Heathrow so has a nicer bus than some of the others. The busses are about as punctual as you'd expect; generally I'd make sure to go for an earlier bus if I needed to be somewhere for a particular time within 10 minutes of when the later bus would arrive, but then I'm just that kind of person. It all depends on traffic really.

CK101: How easy is it to get to London?

apotoftea: It's not actually that bad. 10 minute walk to the station (once you know the short way) and if you time it right, looking at 3/5min wait for a train. The fastest train takes 40 mins from Egham to Waterloo (it goes through Richmond and you can get the tube from there, I've done it and if you're going to the west of London, it's actually easier and quicker than going into Waterloo and then back across the city).

If you miss the 23 past and 53 past, there's the 27 and 57 past which takes about an hour and just goes the long way round, much slower and stops more. Either way, it could be much worse!

rockev: Are there any facilities near the university ? A lot of people say RHUL is in the middle of nowhere and I am worried. Shops? Bakeries? Supermarkets?

apotoftea: Egham is a little quiet and it's not the most well supplied area with shops. There's no bakery or butcher *argghhhh* ; the only supermarket in Egham is a Tesco metro which is over priced and doesn't carry a massive amount. There is an Iceland though. Shops wise, there is: Boots, Superdrug, Clinton Cards, Stead & Simpson shoes, loads of charity shops, Subway and a Budgens.

If you want proper shopping, most people head to Staines which has all the usual high street names plus a Sainsburys, Waitrose and M&S. The nearest big Tescos is probably Addlestone. Most people get their food delivered though so I wouldn't worry too much. The uni has a weekly fruit & veg market which also occasionally has a local baker there but IMHO it's overpriced.

What I would say though, is if you're hoping to be able to wander around shops, grab a coffee (Egham does has a Cafe Nero) expect to either bus/train to Staines or bus/train to Windsor as those are the closest proper town centres as such.

samanthachan03: How long is a walk to Tesco or another substantial supermarket?

Koenig: It's a 15 minute walk from new halls, 20 from Founders. Getting back up is a *****, but you can get the bus for like 90p from 20 seconds from Tesco to just outside Founders.

apotoftea: Does Egham have any hotels?

themadone: Yes, there are 2. The Runnymede is over by the Thames near The Runnymede. And there's the Great Fosters too.

WokSz: Any nice Japanese, Indian and Italian restaurants around in the area?

Gas Panic: In Englefield Green you have Don Beni and some other restaurant I never went to, and an Indian. I got my Indian kicks from Source foods, however, who are a delivery-only company (but do Indian, Chinese, Italian, Mexican). There's more in Egham and Staines.

themadone: Yeah, there's the Red Rose for Indian food and Cafe Piccalo for Italian in Egham.

watchwee: Are there any decent theatres and cinemas nearby, or does everyone just go to London?

gm15: Well apart from on campus productions there's the Theatre Royal in Windsor and most people use the cinema in Staines.

i_am_disco: Where's the nearest pay as you go swimming pool?

SaveItForTheMorning: I'm not at RHUL (yet) but I'm local and I think it would be Windsor Leisure Centre. It's quite nice there and I think you get a discount.

clementinek: Is there anywhere nearby like a park or something which is safe to go for a run in early in the morning?

The Lyceum: Oh if you like running there's quite a lot. There are a fair few fields on campus, there's Virginia water, you can even run up to and around Windsor Park.

FAQ CONTINUES IN NEXT POST
llacerta
Rep:
?
Nightlife Questions

Nightlife Questions
james_birkett: I am really worried that RHUL won't have enough nightlife nearby or that the campus will be deserted at weekends as some university guides have mentioned.

apotoftea: Nightlife wise - if you're after hard core clubbling every night then Egham won't be for you. The local pubs are really nice and student friendly. The union's always got something going on and you can go clubbing in Windsor or Central London (last train back though is quite early).
Haha lively and Egham don't go together. Again you're best off heading to Staines (bit chavvy) or Windsor (rather twee but bustling way more than Staines)

Pub wise - Happy Man and Monkey's Forehead are your closest. Both owned by the same guy so the food's the same at either. Really good food at reasonable prices. Happy Man is more of an oldie worldie pub style where as Monkey's is more modern inside. The Wheatsheaf which is literally next do to Virginia Water (the lake, not the place) is meant to be really good too.
SuperStaah: People usually go Liquid in Windsor on Thursdays (apparently, Sundays, as well, but I've never been. ) cos its a student night (so you can get in for free with your NUS card!). If you call the right cab company, a group of four people can get to Windsor for £2 each.

Sometimes there are also trips to clubs in Brighton or Birmingham, as well. They usually cost around £15 - £20, which includes coach trip there and back, queue jump and entry fee.

WokSz: Do students go out in London often?

soph222: Depends how much you want to really! Obviously it's quite expensive, but then also amazing nights to be had there! We have a society called NADS (who you might have heard of) who run trips to London clubs every few weeks. For about £15 they take you there, bring you back and it includes club entry/queue jump so not bad at all! It's great cos means you can go out without going back early on the last train or at 6am on the first train!

Circe: Is there a Freshers' Ball? And should I bring my ballgown?

soph222: There will be a Fresher's ball, so yes, bring a lovely dress to wear! It's only in the Union so it's not too posh, but obviously bring some kind of dress!

i_am_disco: If we have guests at the university and want to take them on a night out is it possible to 'sign them in' to the SU and Medicine providing they bought a ticket?

shortarse: Yep, they need a ticket for the SU, photo ID and £2. You can only sign in two people though, you'll need another person with and NUS card if there are more. You don't usually need tickets for Medicine unless they've got an event like Insanity on.

gm15: For summer ball you can as each person can buy a maximum of 3 tickets. For union nights you can sign in up to 2 guests but there are rules, e.g. they must have photo ID, you are responsible for how they act, if you leave they have to leave with you. http://www.surhul.co.uk/ents/content..._of_admission/

Job and Money Questions

Job and Money Questions
Princess_Betty:
What are the job opportunities like, and as a rough estimate, how many students do you think go for them?

apotoftea: Bar working for the university itself (bar work, college shop work etc) Egham itself doesn't offer a massive amount of jobs I would say - I've been here almost a year and can't say I've seen anyone advertise on the highstreet for any jobs going (but then again with current economic climate rubbish, that's not a massive surprise). Staines would be a better choice for jobs, unless you want pub work which Egham can provide a lot of. Train fare to Staines is only £1.90 (except in rush hour but this wouldn't be a problem if you were working after 10 or at weekends) so it's not like you'd lose even your first hour of pay on getting there.

Jennyng2000- There are quite a lot of job oppurtunities considering Egham is a small town. The SU and the university employ students for various jobs (the college pays better than the SU) and at the beginning of the year various jobs were advertised. If you want a job it's more about getting it sorted ASAP as they will go fast.

LadyBracknell: How and when do you apply for jobs on the campus such as bar work or working in the library?

apotoftea: Library work is usually advertised in the libraries themselves so you can only apply when they're looking for staff. I'd imagine it's the same for the bars on campus as well.

3105: I can't be bothered to get a job. How easy will it be for me to survive at RHUL?

Koenig: I haven't got a job at RHUL and have finished my first year in a few weeks. It's not that hard but you just have to be careful what you spend on. If you can get a grant then you should be totally fine, but if not then student overdraft (£1250) and my left over student loan has kept me going fine, and i've been skiing with some of the money as well.

Depends where you're staying for food prices, if you're self catered then it depends on what you eat, if you're in Founders then about £4 a day and you will get two good cooked meals for that, vegetables, meat and chips on each.

If you're worried about not being able to go out much then don't be- I've been out a lot and haven't got a job, now I'd like one but it's not essential. There's plenty of cheap alcohol solutions.

Nanda_R: I was wondering, is the food at the university cafes quite expensive? As in, is it priced like a normal cafe you would find in London for example, or is it a bit cheaper?

apotoftea: Right this is the confusing thing with RHUL food - there are three prices for the food served in Founders and in the Hub. What I must point out is that your student card acts like a top-up card with credit it on it. So you can pay for stuff like food with that, rather than carrying cash around with you.

So the first price is for those students paying with their RCS card who are in catered halls. It's usually the cheapest cost. Second price is for all other students (and I'm guessing staff too) who arn't in catered halls but wish to pay on their student card. Third price is the cash price which will always be the most expensive.

**Those three only ever work on main meals in the hub or Founders (and possibly Crosslands) I've never seen it advertised anywhere else!**

The cooked to order stuff is the most expensive I would say - I'm not a catered student so I pay the second price with my card and for a massive bowl of rice, stir fry veg and whatever meat it is - usually about £4/£4.50. You couldn't make a stir fry for that amount of money.

The usual refectory style stuff which is served opposite the cooked to order is not too badly priced. They're quite clever though as you see the price of say chicken tikka masala and think "not too bad" etc but then you realise that you also have pay for the rice and the veg if you want it.

The baguettes served in Coffee & Cake which is in the hub are probably the same cost of M&S or Pret a Manger to give you an idea. It can be expensive on some days and then really cheap on others depending on what you want and like to eat. Founders is cheaper but I've not eaten in there ever! Catered students in Reid still have to use Founders despite the Hub being close if they want their really cheap subsidised food. I'd say for the odd meal or whatever, it's quite reasonable but it can start getting expensive if you do it regularly. Crosslands wise - a plate of wedges with a topping is usually about £2.50.

The extras like chocolate and bottles of fizzy drinks - just don't bother buying them through a food outlet as they're always cheaper in the college shop!

i_am_disco: So are there other places to eat and use your card on campus?

apotoftea: Yup, you can use your RCS at:
Coffee & Cake
The Hub
Crosslands
Founder's
Cafe Joules
The new and improved College shop
Buying food and drinks in Bedford Library

steph of the antartic: I'm just wondering what we're supposed to do about applying for bursaries.

afc1886: As long as you get a maintenance grant you get some bursary money. The university decides how much and it gets paid to you in January. All you have to do is when you get here, put your bank details on the campus connect internet site (this will make sense when you get here) and then one day you will just notice everyone talking about money and notice you're £750 up.

Miyamoto Musashi: Could anyone tell me when RH will distribute information about the fees? I know I can pay online, but as yet I've had no contact from them about it, and therefore have no idea how much I am going to be paying this year. Also, does anyone know who I could contact at the University about this subject?

apotoftea: Fees are here: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/registry/admis...%20p ages.pdf

All the contact emails for the Fees office are here: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/finance/fpc/contacts.html but as a general query, I'd just go for the student-fees email at: [email protected] It's a general email to send to but you'll get a specific person answering it.

mel0n: Because RHUL is part of the University of London, do you get the London rate for the loan or the standard rate?

grape: RHUL do get the london rate of loan.

General Questions

General Questions
d000d: Anybody know the number we need to call if we miss our offer?

LJBzzz: UCAS will print clearing lists for RHul. The number will be on there. I would presume it would be the admissions office, but obviously I do not know.

cate_lynn: Does RHUL have a fresher's week full of events?

themadone: It's the first week of term and I don't know entirely what they're planning on doing, but traditionally on Thursday and Friday is the Freshers Fayre where you can sign up to clubs and societies. In past years they've also had taster sessions for clubs and socs, bouncy castles, poster sales during the day too.

In the evening they'll have events on as well, like a Freshers only night. And other excuses to dance your socks off and spend all your money on booze

If you're lucky they might advertise what is going on, but based on past experience, they're pretty shoddy at it - at least for the non-Fayre day time stuff it's best to keep your eyes peeled etc... so you don't miss anything.

CK101: Is there a good mix of people?

apotoftea: Lots of private school/Oxbridge rejects I have to say and they can't ALL be bad, but for the majority that I've seen from September, are the stereotypical Jack Wills Pimms drinking socialite types. You don't tend to notice the normal students going about their business. They get lost behind the Uggs and gigantic sunglasses. For me personally (but I am a postgrad) I've met a massively wide range of people who are all fantastic!

CK101: Is the quiet thing at weekends really that bad?

Apotoftea: Think it depends on what you’re used to!

llacerta: There will always be someone around on campus, so even if it is a lot quieter at weekends, I like to think of it as an oppurtunity to catch up on work and to get a bit of sleep!

AdrianaSH: Hey guys, I have a question about the food. What is it, I mean not is it delicious or expensive, but what type of food is there? Are there salads, soups and ect., because I really can't live only on junk food.

apotoftea: It's not all about junk food so don't worry. Founders - I've never eaten in there so wouldn't know but menu is here: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Facilities-Man...s/founder.html

The Hub has quite a big range from pasta, pizza, stir-frys made to order (which are really good), fish, always a veggie option, loads of veg, occasionally do roasts and that sort of thing. They have themed nights as well (their lunch menu is usually better than their dinner one and the portions are the same size so if you're in catered halls, might be worth having a big lunch then a snacky dinner type). Themes are here: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/Facilities-Man...tlets/hub.html

They are the two places to get main meals as such; Crosslands, Cafe Jules, Bake and Bite all serve random bits and pieces but none really make up a main meal. Bake & Bite especially is where you'll find chips, burgers etc all the time. Crosslands do amazing wedges though!

profseverus: How are the sports clubs (e.g. football, tennis, etc.) ? I'm thinking of joining a couple - do they usually get together once a week?

shortarse: Most teams have training a couple of times a week, though depending how serious you are you can go less or more as you wish. As for tennis, I have no idea about the club but I think you can book the tennis courts whenever really. Matches are mostly on wednesdays (weds afternoon is free at most universities so teams can compete with other unis) but there are matches in the evenings / weekends. Most have a really good social side as well - be wary of wednesday nights in the Stumble when rugby take over!

kittyminky: Are the sports trials for serious players that want to get on the team of their chosen sport? If I haven't had experiance of a certain sport then should I just go to the taster session?

The Jester: Depends on the sport. Most sports have teams for both serious players and those who just want to have fun. You should go to taster sessions though so you can have an idea of whether or not you'll enjoy the sport.

gin_: Does anyone know when we can sign-up for language courses? I'd like to enrol in the beginners' Spanish course, but I can't find any information.

GodspeedGehenna: http://www.rhul.ac.uk/international/...nformation.htm

Hannnnnaah: Are non-music students allowed to use the music practice rooms? Are there any pianos on site to use?

Koenig: There are music rooms that are free to rent if you want to teach yourself. And of course instruments as well. Lessons from students happen a lot if people want to make extra cash.

The Jester: How do I get Tesco to deliver to my halls?

Shortarse: Tesco often deliver to campus so they know their way around! I'd put Royal Holloway, your hall and block number (for example I used to be in Runnymede V) and look out for them when they arrive. They can't get into halls on their own so I doubt there's much point putting your flat and room number.

Mils89: Just wondered if there are any mobile networks known to have poor reception around RHUL.

Miyamoto Musashi: Orange gets very poor reception here in halls [Tuke], but my friend has a T Mobile phone which has great reception - don't know why, but her connection seems to be the only one that doesn't cut out mid-way through conversations.

rhornibrook: Apparently there are more girls than boys at the Royal Holloway?

llacerta: I thought the balance was more 55/45 than 70/30. There is a majority of girls but it's not that much of a majority.

llacerta: This might seem like a strange question, but one of the things I'm (stupidly) worried about is the sound of planes from Heathrow or Gatwick or whichever is the closest airport to RHUL. When I've visited RHUL in the past, it's something I've really noticed and I'm just wondering, do you get used to it quite quickly? Can you hear the planes when you're inside?

dmoorcroft: The university is under one of the flightpaths but it's not used every day (depends on the wind I think). It's really not a problem, especially in new halls as the windows are pretty soundproof - you definitely get used to it and most of the time you can just hear bird song!
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Great idea! If you need help with this, do ask. Also, this should be stickied.
LizB
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
Great idea! If you need help with this, do ask. Also, this should be stickied.
Ditto

Purhaps a directory of current students willing to answer questions about their specific course should be created as well?
llacerta
Rep:
?
(Original post by LizB)
Ditto

Purhaps a directory of current students willing to answer questions about their specific course should be created as well?
I like this idea! Especially seeing as that seems to be the one big thing missing from the FAQ.

So, if anyone is happy to be contacted about the course they're studying at RHUL, post below and I'll add you to the FAQ!
LizB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by llacerta)
I like this idea! Especially seeing as that seems to be the one big thing missing from the FAQ.

So, if anyone is happy to be contacted about the course they're studying at RHUL, post below and I'll add you to the FAQ!
I'm happy to be contacted about History, so feel free to add me.
Avs17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This might seem like a bit of a random question but what mobile phone networks have the best signal around the uni? I'm just about to change my contract to t mobile then it occurred to me that there's no point if I wont be able to get signal, thanks!
LizB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Avs17)
This might seem like a bit of a random question but what mobile phone networks have the best signal around the uni? I'm just about to change my contract to t mobile then it occurred to me that there's no point if I wont be able to get signal, thanks!
Check the general questions section.
dmoorcroft
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im happy to answer questions on Geography, Geology, Halls, MTS and campus employment! :-)
Avs17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha thanks! Jeeze i'm so blind!
themadone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might be worth making sure the wiki page is up to date too
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oooh, a FAQ? Fancy pants!
Princess_Betty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm on the committee for the Music Department next year, so if anyone has any music-related questions, I'll do my best to answer
LizB
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thinking about it I could answer questions on the Historical reenactment society as well since I'm secretary next year.
purpleheart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Awesome post :-)
I could answer questions on BioSciences, Absolute Harmony (choir) and Undergraduated (Big Band).
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purpleheart)
Awesome post :-)
I could answer questions on BioSciences, Absolute Harmony (choir) and Undergraduated (Big Band).
What are the biosciences lab sessions like? IIRC, you had a few neurophysiology labs this year in the Essential Physiology in Health and Disease (second year undergrad)? Did you do this module? Any good?
Sweyn Forkbeard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can also answer history questions. I have 4 years of experience in the department so I should be able to give good responses.
purpleheart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
What are the biosciences lab sessions like? IIRC, you had a few neurophysiology labs this year in the Essential Physiology in Health and Disease (second year undergrad)? Did you do this module? Any good?
I'm did indeed do Human Physiology. The labs were fairly easy for that module to be completely honest: we 1 easy computer based one; 1 on blood pressure and how it changes with standing/ sitting and before after exercise; and 1 computer based one on the thyroid hormones. I really enjoyed HumanPhys, but it's a massive module that requires a substantial amount of work to learn... I'm afraid I didn't do the neurophysiology module; it clashed with one of my other modules! I've heard the labs were OK, and many mixed opinions on Dr Alifragis, but apparently Dr Williams (?) is really good.

In general, lab sessions are pretty good. Most of them are fairly easy to follow, and don't usually take more than 2-3 hours. 2nd year labs are more difficult than 1st year, but that's to be expected really.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by purpleheart)
I'm did indeed do Human Physiology. The labs were fairly easy for that module to be completely honest: we 1 easy computer based one; 1 on blood pressure and how it changes with standing/ sitting and before after exercise; and 1 computer based one on the thyroid hormones. I really enjoyed HumanPhys, but it's a massive module that requires a substantial amount of work to learn... I'm afraid I didn't do the neurophysiology module; it clashed with one of my other modules! I've heard the labs were OK, and many mixed opinions on Dr Alifragis, but apparently Dr Williams (?) is really good.

In general, lab sessions are pretty good. Most of them are fairly easy to follow, and don't usually take more than 2-3 hours. 2nd year labs are more difficult than 1st year, but that's to be expected really.
Ah okay, cool.

I've selected Human Physiology as well as Cell and Molecular Neuroscience as optional modules for my final year. I've never done any bio labs before, so I was a little unsure of what to expect. Really looking forward to it, though.
purpleheart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Ah okay, cool.

I've selected Human Physiology as well as Cell and Molecular Neuroscience as optional modules for my final year. I've never done any bio labs before, so I was a little unsure of what to expect. Really looking forward to it, though.
Sweet times. The practicals for Human Phys will be fine; if you put the work in you can easily average around 85%, which will help because the exam is pretty tough. You don't have to understand that much; there's just so much stuff to learn! Put it this way: in the last 4-5 years that I've looked at for past exam papers, a question has never been repeated. It's really interesting, you just need to make sure you don't forget it after the first term!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (153)
53.13%
18-20 years old (no) (35)
12.15%
20-25 years old (yes) (47)
16.32%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.39%
25-30 years old (yes) (19)
6.6%