The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Do UK Universities give 2.1 if you have 59 or more?

I'm a student of Manchester Business School Bsc (Hons) Management and I'll be in my 3nd year in September.

In my 2nd year I had 55% overall.Second year counts 25% to the overall which means I need 62% overall to graduate with 2.1

Just tell me sth to know.In my handbook it says that if you have above 58 and in at least 80 credits your marks are from 60 and above then they may consider to give you the higher class.Do you know if something like that usually happens or in rare occasions?It would be so bad to get less than 62 in my 3nd year and get for example a 61,which would have as a result a 59,3 overall and get a 2.2
Reply 1
if you're on the border like that, with a 59 - you may get a viva, and an opportunity to move up to a 2:1.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
OhNO!
if you're on the border like that, with a 59 - you may get a viva, and an opportunity to move up to a 2:1.

This is what they do at my uni as well.
Reply 3
OhNO!

This.

But if you are in the 50s a 2:2 is more likely (and more deserved).
well obviously this isnt the same thing, but i just got my first year results and on a module where i only got 37.5% they've bumped it up to 40%...and another module i suspect i got less in (i dont have the mark break-down yet) i was given 40%, which just about gave me a good enough average percentage to be allowed to resit the two modules i failed...

so what im saying is that unis obviously do 'let people off' if u see what i mean lol
It varies, not just between unis, but between departments.

This year my friend had to get a 2.1 to progress to the next year of a masters, he only got 55 but they went "aw go on then" and let him through.

Whereas I got 69.7% in one module and they went NOPE THAT'S A 2.1. Grrrr! Didn't even round it up!

Although I'd imagine that for your final classification, they'd be a lot more lenient, usually those with 58-60 mention vivas or individual considerations in most department guides, try and refer to yours (or email head of dept. if you dare!)
Reply 6
what's a viva?
Reply 7
The_Goose
what's a viva?

Effectively an interview with the external examiners from other unis. They ask you questions and if you do well they may bump you up a classification. This year on my course 6 people who were borderline got vivas. Of the four I spoke to none got bumped up.

It is quite hit and miss.
Reply 8
js374
Effectively an interview with the external examiners from other unis. They ask you questions and if you do well they may bump you up a classification. This year on my course 6 people who were borderline got vivas. Of the four I spoke to none got bumped up.

It is quite hit and miss.

ah right. I see. Cheers =) I'm not sure what happens if you're borderline at Hull. I think I'm going to fall smack in the middle of the 2.1 though so probably irrelevant to me

Latest

Trending

Trending