This discussion is closed.
MurphysMoment.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
WTF? when in that quote did I ever say they did? The guy was talking about 3:1 ratio of male to female at IC and saying his mate went to UCL cuz of that. For once read the posts BEFORE you open that hole in your face.
Yeah so? Guess what people (particularly men) go tend to go to Universities that have a better boy to girl ratio; not everyone goes to University just based on academic reputation; they want to have fun aswell.

Oh and I don't remember me saying anything, typing yes; but not speaking so how can I open that "hole" (BTW for your information its called a mouth; for more information about it, please go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/)
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MurphysMoment.)
Yeah so? Guess what people (particularly men) go tend to go to Universities that have a better boy to girl ratio; not everyone goes to University just based on academic reputation; they want to have fun aswell.

Oh and I don't remember me saying anything, typing yes; but not speaking so how can I open that "hole" (BTW for your information its called a mouth; for more information about it, please go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/)
Hellooooo, I must admit you are one of the most dense people on this forum. You don't read posts properly and you criticize based on assumptions. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT FIRST PLEASE. I have never once suggested in this thread that people go to uni based on reputation alone. Get over it, you're obsessed lol. In the quote you used of me I said it was stupid to base university choice on girl:boy ratio alone. Now for once in your life read the goddamit posts Before you make a comment.

BTW the fact that you had the link so handily seems to indicate you don;t know the human body parts I am guessing. Nevermind go read it and enjoy, I'm sure you'll learn many things, and maybe you will stop being so pathetic.
Tony
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Reputation wise Imperial is more internationally renowned, and as one of the top four Maths departments in the country (along with Oxbridge and Warwick). But Imperial has a 3:1 male:female ratio! This turned my mate towards UCL despite Imperial having a stronger Medical department.
You're talking out of your arse nobhead. UCL's medic dept is ≥ IC. As for the math's where the **** does it say that IC's dept is anyway as strong as UCL's. The Times and Guardian 2003 show that UCL nails's IC for maths. Capiche.
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Speaking from the perspective of someone at Imperial not studying maths, I'd say do it at Cambridge... My guess is that there isn't much difference between IC and UCL; subject-specific league tables can be very misleading. Having said that, some departments at Imperial must fall below the college's overall average.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dogtanian)
Speaking from the perspective of someone at Imperial not studying maths, I'd say do it at Cambridge... My guess is that there isn't much difference between IC and UCL; subject-specific league tables can be very misleading. Having said that, some departments at Imperial must fall below the college's overall average.
Yes, by all means do Maths at Oxbridge.

Warwick, Bath, Imperial and UCL are renowned for maths as well..

And Dogtanian: please don't top-post.

J.
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hornblower, sorry for top-posting --- I've got rid of it now. I'm used to using a unix terminal where it's helpful to have the reply before the message. Perhaps not quite so appropriate here, but I didn't give it much thought.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
According to the Times, and for one year.
Errr...wrong!
Bath is number one in the Times subject league tables for Maths for the past THREE years
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
Errr...wrong!
Bath is number one in the Times subject league tables for Maths for the past THREE years
League tables, league tables... Do you really think that they provide an accurate assessment of a university's courses? In this case, they're most certainly wrong. Of course the statistics collected will be accurate, but how can they ever measure the academic quality of a course? The only league table that anyone considers is The Time's overall ranking; it is misguided to take any heed of subject tables.
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Oh dear...so you would value the Times' arbitrary weighting system over the raw data?

You agree with them that teaching is 2.5 times more important than graduate employment, and that research is 1.5 times more important than student staff ratio, and that expenditure is the factor that makes the most impact on the overall ranking (look closely at Oxford and Cambridge at the top - Cambridge is better on every single measure apart from the two expenditure measures...and yet Oxford comes top).

And you think knowing the subject specific research ratings, a level entry standards and employment rates is worth less?

Or is it just that Imperial comes 3rd in the overall table but only 7th for your subject?
No, I'd attach little value to any league table. My basis is that the academics (not from Imperial, I hasten to add) I've spoken to regard The Times' table as being the only important one. You have demonstrated already the difficulty of assigning weightings to the different metrics of a department's or college's success. What is to say that The Guardian's table isn't equally flawed, or The Telegraph's?
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I do not intend to enter a complete discussion of the merits of various league tables, a subject that is as boring as it is irrelevant. The reason I made the above comment did not, in fact, relate to the ranking of my department in any league table. It was made to question the implication that Bath has the best maths course in the country.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dogtanian)
I do not intend to enter a complete discussion of the merits of various league tables, a subject that is as boring as it is irrelevant. The reason I made the above comment did not, in fact, relate to the ranking of my department in any league table. It was made to question the implication that Bath has the best maths course in the country.
I think you have a problem with admitting that Imperial may not be the best for the subjects you mention and would subsequently seek to denigrate Bath's reputation as the best for Maths in the country. You have tried to imply that Imperial is also the best for computing science on another thread but have also been challenged on that assumption by Pencil Queen's unbiased research.
Perhaps it's time to face the fact that Imperial is not as great as you might wish it to be because you study there!
Dogtanian
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
I think you have a problem with admitting that Imperial may not be the best for the subjects you mention and would subsequently seek to denigrate Bath's reputation as the best for Maths in the country. You have tried to imply that Imperial is also the best for computing science on another thread but have also been challenged on that assumption by Pencil Queen's unbiased research.
Perhaps it's time to face the fact that Imperial is not as great as you might wish it to be because you study there!
What a load of rubbish. I never said that Imperial was definitely the best for computing; in my opinion, Cambridge is. This is a matter of opinion, though. There are many ways in which Imperial has to improve --- and I, too, would agree with PencilQueen that a merger with LSE would be, well, nice

I did not challenge the validity of Pencil Queen's research, but I do think that it is important to accept that statistics are not the be-all and end-all for comparing courses. Having said that, if used with caution, they can be useful.

I did not say that Bath does not have the best maths course in the country. Perhaps too subtley for you, I questioned the validity of the implication that Bath has the best course in the country because it comes top in league tables.

Earlier, I did say that Cambridge is the place to go for maths if you can, and I stand by that. This is not only based on the quality of the course, but the obvious other factors.
JnJ
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
does any1 kno which is better out of imperial or ucl for mathematics, or are they the same, i trying to figure out which i shud apply to but i like them both , and i cant find nothing on google
Im facing the same problem.
I got an offer from Imperial for JMC (joint maths and compsci)
but might be changing it to maths if i decide to go there.
Then also notts (MMath), warwick(MMath), and ucl(maths).

Any comments from maths students at these institutions
would be nice? Im having difficult time in choosing what
to put as my firm choice.
Tony
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JnJ)

Mate UCL and Imperial are equally respected for Maths. However I found that UCL had a far better support structure. Have the best of both worlds do a BSc at UC and a postgrad at IC.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JnJ)

You could talk to rahaydenuk about IC, cos he's doing Maths and Comp Sci there.
metalslug14
Report 15 years ago
Ahan... well wat the hell.... every1 seemz to *** up with their own idea abt uniz n their reputationz.... n after readin em all, itz hard to be able to draw up a conclusion. Some love the Oxbridge, while otherz are against it. LSE n IMPERIAL, ranked by a majority in the 2nd tier, but there r again so many who find their courses, their repoz, their UNIONz n SPORTz n student life simply of the lowest standards. I myself got offers from LSE, IMPERIAL, UCL, Warwick, Bath n Nottingham. Dont wanna go to Bath inspite of the fact it iz no1 for Math n is in the top10 uni list in the league-tables. Mainly cuz ppl have led me to the believe that therez slight racism there n bein in a small city, a DULL LIFE. Many have also said tht student life outside LONDON, while wud be missin on a hell lot. So it came down to UCL, IMPERIAL n LSE (though wuz really interested in the MORSE at Warwick). n of these, all or shall i say many wud agree tht IMPERIAL n LSE have international reputationz n bla bla bla. n Now i get to hear tht these two do not have good student life as well. n IMPERIAL with it girl male ratio problem of 1:3... SEE, every1 has a different opinion... n in the END am HELL CONFUZED Which to put as ma first choice n which to put as ma second... HELP PPL... n cant we just all agreeeee on similar thingz or sumfin.....???
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Jun '20
    Thu, 25 Jun '20
    Sat, 19 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?