Difference between September intake and Spring intake

Watch
ciderxwithxrosie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi all,

I understand that many universities have a second entrance point for nursing, around February/March because it has such a high drop out rate. What's the difference between starting Adult Nursing in September and starting it in Spring?

Is the course the same but it's more compressed if you gain entry later on or is it an entirely different style of teaching, learning and placements?

After a lot of hassle with trying to change my university course, I'm hoping to get in for February and am just curious to know.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
not a bit, you graduate at a different time, and have some different hols but thats it
ciderxwithxrosie
Rep:
?
Oh excellent, thanks for the quick reply!
ciderxwithxrosie
Rep:
?
Also, do you continue to be different time-wise throughout the rest of your degree or after your first year do you re-start in September and blend with everyone else?
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol so it was! Yeah its fine, im in jan intake and do exactly the same thing- ONLY issue is we dont have the freshes week, unless you have a good nurses association sometimes you won't get one which can SUCK.

And yeah, my year starts in january, ends in december..I have exactly the same lectures, in the same order than the september intake, just 3 months behind
ciderxwithxrosie
Rep:
?
Oh that's great to hear, thankyou. I really hope I can get in in time now! I'm not too fussy about the Freshers week, I already live in the city where I'm going to do my Adult Nursing and know a lot of people at the university so it'd just be a case of making friends with the Spring intake of nurses which I hope I'll be able to do
RoxyLite
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does anyone know if you can apply for the January intake in the new 2011 September UCAS cycle? I am also having some problems with applying as I have a place I do not want, but don't want to wait until next September, and cannot apply at the moment! So starting in January would be perfect...
Emily-STFC
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Hey i'm starting in March next year, and i've applied for student finance, my forms have come back though, but my payments are going to go though as if i'm starting in September. Is there anyway to recieve my payments in sync with my uni year?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ciderxwithxrosie)
Hi all,

I understand that many universities have a second entrance point for nursing, around February/March because it has such a high drop out rate.
well, frankly you heard wrong , the number of intakes is to spread the load over the placements and the academic facilities, given that you may have 300 students per intake at some HEIs ( if not per HEI across the same region )

What's the difference between starting Adult Nursing in September and starting it in Spring?
you start in spring rather than in september, you graduate (all being well) three springs later rather than 3 septembers later)

Is the course the same but it's more compressed if you gain entry later on or is it an entirely different style of teaching, learning and placements?
no more 'compressed' because it's still a 3 year course, you still have to complete your 2300 hours of theory and 2300 hours of practice

teaching, learning and placements will be very similar except of course you are 5 -6 months in time 'behind' the september intake thus spreading the load on placement areas
ciderxwithxrosie
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies.

zippyRN, I now know I got the reasoning wrong, sorry.
Coracox81
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How does the academic year work for spring intake like would you still be in class/placement when everyone else would be on their summer holidays?
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Coracox81)
How does the academic year work for spring intake like would you still be in class/placement when everyone else would be on their summer holidays?
If you're doing nursing, you only get a couple of weeks' "summer holiday" regardless of whether you start in autumn or spring. So yes, you'll still be in uni or placement for the summer.

NB: this thread is 11 years old....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads