This discussion is closed.
white_solitude
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
My GCSE AQA DT Resistant Materials coursework has just been launched and I'm currently having a lot of problems deciding on a design brief. There are obviously a lot of pros and cons for doing any of them, but my main interests lie in a design brief with variation to design ideas and development. I would like to use several materials in my work (at least 2, but perfably more) and several manufacturing processes and i'm really stuck! i know ur supposed to choose the design brief and then design the product due to the criteria, but i'm considering the different products with the design briefs at the moment. Here are the options

1. a range of quality gift products with moving parts or animated (interesting, but a range of products? and animated? i dunno...sounds kinda complicated)
2. a watch display (little material variant-possibly only wood or plastic?)
3. candle holders (a possibility)
4. products promoting special events which are 3D, easy to assemble and moves (ie Christmas) (very complicated...and limited festivals)
5. garden accessories with packaging (very little matieral variant only metal and plastic...and packaging?!)
6. a range of toys one has to have an action feature and a storage system (a possibility, but not many good ideas as to what to make...)
7. simple flat back seat (not keen on idea)
8. safe road signs (u could probably only use wood...which wouldn't show many skills or processes...)
9. room screen divider (not keen)
10. futuristic 3D decorative thing that slots together (possible option but no ideas...)
11. products promoting numeracy and literacy to children (seems okish...any ideas?)
12. products which help people with learning difficulties, design jigs needed to manufacture ten of them...(not keen)

does anyone have any tips or ideas possibly for number 6, 11 or 10....i'm kinda trying to narrow it down, but seriously some of these options are so limited...and i can't choose a brief that will be of a good complexity, something i can explore with different materials and processes, fulfils criteria and is relatively straight forward to model and make...

any ideas?

thanks in advance!
Perry
Report 16 years ago
Succinct
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ah,

Now I don't do RM but my teacher gave us a huge list but highlighted about 4 good ones to do, hasn't yours tried that?

Can't you choose one you like the look of and can think of a good situation for, and then think about using as many materials and processes later?

For example, I'm making a tray for money to go in on mine, and rather than me constructing it out of MDF my teacher suggested I could vacuum form it. Like, just for the hell of it, so I can write about it in my folder.
white_solitude
Rep:
?
huh? sorry, don't understand...whats succinct, my descriptions?
white_solitude
Rep:
?
no...shes hasn't highlighted, but to be honest i'm not warming towards any of them right now...most of them seem such a limited idea...i was thinking about the toys one...but i mean u can't exactly give a kid a toy with anything dangerous, which cuts out quite a few materials like glass and metal...isn't that to a disadvantage?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No 4 looks quite interesting - the construction of portable displays at events (like the ad display stands you get at big shows etc) alternatively the displays you get at cinema's to advertise future films these are generally made of cardboard which slots together to become 3d but you also get variations (like the shrek 2 one which includes a large inflatable shrek-like 2)...it's just a case of choosing an interesting special occassion.
Dickie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think you can be creative with what you eventually do, and have a really abstract link from the starting point and what you actually do. So they might not be that limited.

I'm not sure about that though
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads