This discussion is closed.
Ensocopier
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Recently I've noticed lots of threads being moved to the wrong places. E.g. theres a thread about Geography in the about UKL section.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
trying to get a rise out of them are we?
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ensocopier)
Recently I've noticed lots of threads being moved to the wrong places. E.g. theres a thread about Geography in the about UKL section.
There is a thread discussing the mods job in another sub...
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont think the mods put it there, they havent got time to sort out everything that is wrong with this place there is a too big member/mod ratio
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
I dont think the mods put it there, they havent got time to sort out everything that is wrong with this place there is a too big member/mod ratio
that thread was put there originaly by the user that posted it, if it is still there now ill move it....
a_musical_guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There was a time when there were no sub-forums... and everything run smoothly.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
There was a time when there were no sub-forums... and everything run smoothly.
that was before the last population explosion, now the recored is 403 on at once, they cannot post only in one forum.

as the forum gets busier and busier, eventually i would think the only way forward would be to create completly separte forums.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
that was before the last population explosion, now the recored is 403 on at once, they cannot post only in one forum.

as the forum gets busier and busier, eventually i would think the only way forward would be to create completly separte forums.
Wouldn't it be possible to archive the older posts onto a seperate server so the forum would have more space and the "Busy" message wouldn't come up again?
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Wouldn't it be possible to archive the older posts onto a seperate server so the forum would have more space and the "Busy" message wouldn't come up again?
It's not the number of threads that is causing the 'Server Busy' messages, it is the number of users requesting the web page at any one time. There is only a finite amount of bandwidth available and when it is at capcity servering pages to users, you have to wait till it quietens down. Bandwidth is expensive.
Saf!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think the sub-forum thing isn't working propley, cos most ppl (like me! :rolleyes: ) can't be bothered goin to the other forums!
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
It's not the number of threads that is causing the 'Server Busy' messages, it is the number of users requesting the web page at any one time. There is only a finite amount of bandwidth available and when it is at capcity servering pages to users, you have to wait till it quietens down. Bandwidth is expensive.
Actually in all likelyhood it isn't reaching anywhere near capacity on the bandwidth - you have to be transfering a lot to saturate a 100MBit pipe - it's the number of concurrent accesses and the amount of resources each access uses from the forums (because they aren't static pages but dynamically served using a lot of sql queries, which means lots more processes running on the server) that creates the server busy message. The server load is measured by how many processes are waiting to access the processor and the server busy message is usually triggered by that load going past a predefined maximum. The consequence of this is less sql queries and thus a reduction of the strain on the server.
The main downside of having a high load is a reduction of the liveness of the server, and so there may be delays before it responds to your browser asking for a file, and it may on rare occasions also crash the server entirely.

It's true bandwidth is expensive, on a good host it should be ~£2-3 per gigabyte, but it's the cumulative effect of the large number of accesses that creates the large bills and they have nothing to do with the server busy message. Besides anything else to display that it's transfering an almost equivalent amount of information, so having that as a way of throttling bandwidth is not effective.

Has anyone actually got the server busy message in the last couple of days?

Alaric.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
Actually in all likelyhood it isn't reaching anywhere near capacity on the bandwidth - you have to be transfering a lot to saturate a 100MBit pipe - it's the number of concurrent accesses and the amount of resources each access uses from the forums (because they aren't static pages but dynamically served using a lot of sql queries, which means lots more processes running on the server) that creates the server busy message. The server load is measured by how many processes are waiting to access the processor and the server busy message is usually triggered by that load going past a predefined maximum. The consequence of this is less sql queries and thus a reduction of the strain on the server.
The main downside of having a high load is a reduction of the liveness of the server, and so there may be delays before it responds to your browser asking for a file, and it may on rare occasions also crash the server entirely.

It's true bandwidth is expensive, on a good host it should be ~£2-3 per gigabyte, but it's the cumulative effect of the large number of accesses that creates the large bills and they have nothing to do with the server busy message. Besides anything else to display that it's transfering an almost equivalent amount of information, so having that as a way of throttling bandwidth is not effective.

Has anyone actually got the server busy message in the last couple of days?

Alaric.
yep, you got it! When the load goes up to about 10 or so, above the normal load limit, vbulletin displays the busy sign
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (389)
67.3%
No (189)
32.7%

Watched Threads