Turn on thread page Beta

Computer Problems. Technical assistance required. watch

ReputationRep:
    It would appear my beloved computer is very unwell.

My father installed a new printer (& accompanying software) late last night and then turned off my computer.

I turned it on this morning when I got up to discover the screen image and icons etc were massive, it’d gone into ‘Save mode’ or similar (hopefully this’ll mean something to some of you). Appearance aside this means I cannot get online and I haven’t experimented to see whether there are any other restrictions.
    I restarted it and turned it to ‘Normal’ mode when it was setting up. Unfortunately the computer will then not load at all. I get a black screen saying in the corner-
    ‘While initializing device IOS:
    ERROR: Real mode system memory allocation failed’

My father has uninstalled the printer (& accompanying software) to no effect and is not having any success with it. My brother should be back soon so I’ll set him back on the task but I was wondering whether anyone had experienced a similar situation and/or knows what’s wrong and how we can fix it.

I am currently borrowing various other family computers to use but I could really do with having my one back on and working- I have a lot of IT work to do this weekend, and I can’t even access the files in it’s current state.

So, any ideas/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Egan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)

My father installed a new printer (& accompanying software) late last night and then turned off my computer.

I turned it on this morning when I got up to discover the screen image and icons etc were massive, it’d gone into ‘Save mode’ or similar (hopefully this’ll mean something to some of you). Appearance aside this means I cannot get online and I haven’t experimented to see whether there are any other restrictions.
    I restarted it and turned it to ‘Normal’ mode when it was setting up. Unfortunately the computer will then not load at all. I get a black screen saying in the corner-

My father has uninstalled the printer (& accompanying software) to no effect and is not having any success with it. My brother should be back soon so I’ll set him back on the task but I was wondering whether anyone had experienced a similar situation and/or knows what’s wrong and how we can fix it.

I am currently borrowing various other family computers to use but I could really do with having my one back on and working- I have a lot of IT work to do this weekend, and I can’t even access the files in it’s current state.

Cheers,

Egan.
    I may have missed somthing but it sounds like a currupt registery. It can be quite difficult to fix do you have any important data on drive c:\? I would copy all the important data to a different drive and format the PC.

I am not sure how much you know about computers though.

ReputationRep:
    "Whilst initializing device IOS..."

Well I got that in my comp a few months back as well. The ram is messed up. Get some new ones and put it in. Pull old ones out.

Thats what happened to me as well, just suddenly did that. Don't do anything crazy like reformatting or anything, it won't solve it. Its a hardware problem.

ReputationRep:
    A Musical Guy- where did your post go? -My dad said something about the CD earlier- I'm not sure if he's found it yet though. It's quite an old computer so it's probably lost in the deep depths of our study, will go and have a proper look again later.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I am not sure how much you know about computers though.
    Very little, well, when it comes to technical problems such as this, my knowledge is very limited. I do however have an extremely useful brother and father who are very good with computers.

---

Thanks very much for your input all, my brother has just got back so I'll pass on what you said.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with amazingtrade about the corrupt registry but diagree with reformating everything. The easy way out if you don't know much about fixing PCs is to reinstall OS over your old one. That way you will have all your old settings and you won't lose any data. If your brother is a pro then I suggest leave it to him to fix the PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _mutant_)
    I agree with amazingtrade about the corrupt registry but diagree with reformating everything. The easy way out if you don't know much about fixing PCs is to reinstall OS over your old one. That way you will have all your old settings and you won't lose any data. If your brother is a pro then I suggest leave it to him to fix the PC.
    You can only do with that with the retail version of windows though. The OEM versions make you format and start from scratch.

You could try running the system restore facility if you are using Win 2000 or XP you won't loose any data.

ReputationRep:
    I am sooo sure this is a hardware problem, I had a similar problem like this, and by replacing the ram it worked again.

ReputationRep:
    I think you may be right actually, I missed the memory error message the first time I read it.

I've had similar things when building PC, Windows starts to boot up then it gives you a load of error messages swapping the memory some times solved the problem.

How old is the PC? If the PC is very old it may not be worth bothering fixing as the prices of old basic units are so stupidly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I thank you for my amazingness in cmputer problems.

*Bows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)

Cheers,

Egan.
    Which O/S are you using (I assume Windows 95/98 as this shouldn't occur under 2000/XP etc.)?

I'm afraid this could be due to a multitude of things (most likely triggered by the installation of the printer drivers).

See these MS knowledgebase articles for potential causes/solutions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;263466
    Error Message: Initializing Device IOS Windows Protection Error
    (263466) - When you start your computer, you may receive the following
    error message: Initializing Device IOS: Windows Protection Error When
    you try to restart your computer in Safe mode, you may receive the same
    error message.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;311108
    Error Message: While Initializing Device IOS an I/O Subsystem Driver
    Failed to Load...
    (311108) - When you attempt to start Windows, you may receive the
    following error message: While initializing device IOS, an I/O subsystem
    driver failed to load. Either a file in the IOSubsys subdirectory is
    corrupt or the system is low on memory.

You might also try booting into safemode and running scanreg /restore from a MS-DOS prompt.

Good luck,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think you may be right actually, I missed the memory error message the first time I read it.

I've had similar things when building PC, Windows starts to boot up then it gives you a load of error messages swapping the memory some times solved the problem.

How old is the PC? If the PC is very old it may not be worth bothering fixing as the prices of old basic units are so stupidly cheap.
    Slow down! Don't replace any hardware yet. Due to the fact that this error happened straight after a software configuration change it is highly likely it's a problem in software, not in hardware. Replacing hardware should really be the last resort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Replacing hardware should really be the last resort.
    Yes, after my computer did similar problem, I totally reformatted my hard drive. Didnt do anything. Same message came up.

Replaced RAM however...and it worked beautifully...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, after my computer did similar problem, I totally reformatted my hard drive. Didnt do anything. Same message came up.

Replaced RAM however...and it worked beautifully...
    Yeah, but just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for Egan, so there's no point in rushing into it...

This error could mean a whole multitude of things...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for Egan, so there's no point in rushing into it...

This error could mean a whole multitude of things...
    I am just putting my 2 pence into the discussion. And warning her not to reformat the hard disk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I am just putting my 2 pence into the discussion. And warning her not to reformat the hard disk.
    Yes, I agree; that's another thing not to rush into...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I agree; that's another thing not to rush into...
    ...Which I did, and left me with a blank hard disk. And the problem still remained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    ...Which I did, and left me with a blank hard disk. And the problem still remained.
    Just want to say a massive thank you to all of you for responding.

I showed them your replies and they were both very impressed with the responses.

Anyway, my brother has thankfully fixed it now (phew!) so I'm back on my computer.

Extra thanks to Rahaydenuk who apparently supplied to solution-

'You might also try booting into safemode and running scanreg /restore from a MS-DOS prompt.'
    He couldn't do it through the DOS prompt but did it through the full DOS mode. [information means nothing to me but I daresay you'll understand.]

Anyway, thanks again, your replies were very much appreciated. It's good to know there are lots of helpful, able 'techy-types' on the forum.

Cheers,

Egan

ReputationRep:
    Felicitations is graciously accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Just want to say a massive thank you to all of you for responding.

I showed them your replies and they were both very impressed with the responses.

Anyway, my brother has thankfully fixed it now (phew!) so I'm back on my computer.

Extra thanks to Rahaydenuk who apparently supplied to solution-

'You might also try booting into safemode and running scanreg /restore from a MS-DOS prompt.'
    He couldn't do it through the DOS prompt but did it through the full DOS mode. [information means nothing to me but I daresay you'll understand.]

Anyway, thanks again, your replies were very much appreciated. It's good to know there are lots of helpful, able 'techy-types' on the forum.

Cheers,

Egan
    Cool, glad to hear it's fixed and that it wasn't anything more serious like a hardware problem.

ReputationRep:
    My computer basically crashed so I had to use the restart button. The message came up again, so I am slightly concerned. Looks like I might have to learn what to do for future cases.

I'm going to try restarting again, see whether it comes up naturally or just when I do an emergency shut-down.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.