The Student Room Group

The most 'RAH' universities!!

Scroll to see replies

Imperial is Rah? I didn't know that...:s-smilie:
Reply 81
River85
Funnily enough, not all of the areas are littered counsel (sic) houses. They also have plenty of middle class areas.

The universities are also located in the attractive city centres, with student areas being in wealthy and leafy suburbs.

So a student at Newcastle will go to university in the attractive city centre, travel home to leafy Jesmond (with its expensive houses, bars and restaurants) and have nothing to do with the deprived areas of the city like Elswick or Scotswood. They can go about in their own bubble of wealthy studentdom for three years or more.

Universities like Leeds and Newcastle, traditional universities/rebbricks in major cities will always attract a middle class student body.

A university can be very different to what its city is like demographically. Oxford is, historically at least, a working class city.

Newcastle is the "in" and fashionable city. Good party life, relatively attractive city centre (and university -around the quad particularly). Very popular with Harrow students which isn't suprising. Looks a little like Harrow in my opinion. Because of this it became the "in" university as well. Like Nottingham was 10 years ago, or Manchester before it. Leeds has a similar status.

There will always be this cycle of fashionable cities and, when a city is fashionable, it gets an increase in applications. For universities like Leeds and Newcastle who aready had a strong, middle class student body...

not every student there is middle class/rich. Newcastle does a lot to encourage local kids from state schools. (I'm doing medicine and there are a lot of us from less priveleged backgrounds)

before someone corrects me -privileged
Reply 82
I generally dislike anyone with an ignorant, arrogant attitude. No matter what gear they wear, how they talk or how much money their family earn you are guaranteed to bump into absoloute idiots wherever you go, whatever class. Simple.
Eh... with the exception of TSR I have never ever heard of the term 'Rah' before, what on earth are these 'Rahs'? Are they just posh folk? Is it a derogative term or something? :s-smilie:
Reply 84
conorcd
not every student there is middle class/rich. Newcastle does a lot to encourage local kids from state schools. (I'm doing medicine and there are a lot of us from less priveleged backgrounds)

:sigh:

I didn't say everyone there is middle class though. Yes I'm aware of their local schemes (not unique in higher education).

But it has been, and still is, a predominately middle class university as all Russell Group universities are (with the exception of one or two, most notably Queens Belfast).
Reply 85
Peachesishere
Eh... with the exception of TSR I have never ever heard of the term 'Rah' before

It's a well known stereotype even outside TSR. I was certainly aware of it before starting university (2004). It's a cultural phenomen. Not as famous as chav but still well known enough in higher education circles.
River85
It's a well known stereotype even outside TSR. I was certainly aware of it before starting university (2004). It's a cultural phenomen. Not as famous as chav but still well known enough in higher education circles.

The bit in bold made me laugh.
Well I have never heard of it, but I'm not exactly in a 'higher education circle' anyway. (:teehee:)
Reply 87
I get the general impression that RAH's are nice people, douchebags?
Warwick?
Mastermind007
Imperial is Rah? I didn't know that...:s-smilie:

It really isnt rah :rofl:
Reply 90
Doxbridge has a lower international/EU intake than UoL/Warwick, so I would argue the latter are less Rah
Reply 91
cambio wechsel
no way on Imperial and LSE. And none of the others seems an obvious choice for it. You seem only to be understanding RAH to mean academically prestigious.

I especially wrote the last line for people like you, because I knew that some idiots have to criticise and argue about this.

THIS IS MY OPINION !!!

What does that mean?

This is my opinion and it is not discriminative or against any other law, so you can't say nothing. Obviously people gonna have different views.
LittleMissDramaQueen
Can I just point out most of these universities everyone has mentioned are pretty prestigious. So really it shouldn't matter about the people there but the education you're receiving. All this rah talk is silly. It's snobbery really; which is rather ironic. You're generalising these people. Come on people; we're in the 21st century, class war is a little old fashioned, don't you think?

Personally I don't care about the percentage of rahs at a university, I only care that I'm going to get the very best from my education. There are good and bad of all people. Yes, some public school people are like that but we can't generalise them all. Alot of our best loved celebrities were privately educated. Alot of our great minds are privately educated too. They're not all sporting jack wills and pashminas. And even if they were, would you doubt them any less. It should be about peoples personality, their intelligence, how they act around friends; not what they wear and their social backgrounds.

Sorry if I've offended anyone by this. I was bullied for a long time for apparently being too "posh", so I hate people generalising other people like this. I was only bullied because I had a different accent, imagine if I'd have had all the supposed rah characteristics.

Yes well done lots of rich celebrities are posh. Stellar observation. Now please stop pretending class division doesn't exist whilst simultaneously proving its existance.
Anyways...Durham,Exeter,Edinburgh. I'm pretty glad at no Warwick mentions (I've only read the first three pages...), I had heard bad tings.
Reply 93
Definitely Durham!! And also Bristol... I go to Uni at one and live in the other so I see rahs all the time!!
muffingg
I especially wrote the last line for people like you, because I knew that some idiots have to criticise and argue about this.

THIS IS MY OPINION !!!

What does that mean?

This is my opinion and it is not discriminative or against any other law, so you can't say nothing. Obviously people gonna have different views.

Oh, right. You're a complete jackass, then.

If the question asked after the five most northerly universities in the UK, qualifying your peculiar list in saying "this is my opinion" offers no indemnity against anyone's saying, "you're an utter and total div, none of those is even in the North..."

The same is true here, of course. Which is why you've come off looking so silly.
Reply 95
muffingg
Extremely Rah
Oxford
Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
LSE

Rah
Bristol
Bath
Loughborough
Durham
Exeter
St Andrews

*This is my opinion*

I think you're getting confused between tops unis and RAH unis. Just because a uni is top of the league tables doesn't mean it's RAH. For examle, Imperial, LSE and UCL are fantastic unis but they're not RAH unis. Exeter is not in the same league as Imperial, LSE and UCL in terms of academic standing but Exeter is a million times more RAH than them.
Reply 96
Reply 97

None of those unis are RAH. The only RAH unis in Scotland are Edinburgh and St. Andrews.
Reply 98
R_Smith
None of those unis are RAH. The only RAH unis in Scotland are Edinburgh and St. Andrews.

What about Sheffield, I'm sure it is.:yep:
Reply 99
Paske
You would be suprised... they both are RAH Unis, and I know a lot of Rah's from Leeds. There are some pretty expensive areas in the suburbs.

Yes very true!!!

Quick Reply

Latest