username368993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Can anyone recommend any good books for learning French? I am not studying academically but would like to have a fairly good understanding of the language, not just speaking. Thanks.
paleraspberry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends what level you're at really; I just sat higher french and find that you really can't go wrong with a Schaum's Grammar or any other textbooks from their series, Mot A Mot is really good for entire phrases, and I found the Edexcel AS book really good too.
Again though I'm not really sure what kind of stuff you're looking for and those books might not be helpful if you're a beginner and since I do French at school rather than by myself those might not be helpful but I hope it helps anyway
xanadu_21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm also doing that. just decided to the other day. you should try using the pimsleur audio tapes - they're really good, and quick and easy.
PrinceOfCats
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Real linguists piss on books. Experience is the (modern foreign) linguist's only teacher.

Top five experiences for learning French (only elite linguists need attempt ii)):

1) i) Attempt to open a bank account in France ii) and attempt to contact your bank once you've opened it.
2) i) Attempt to enter a 'fac bloque' ii); having entered the 'enceinte', try to enrol for a course.
3) i) Get arrested by at least one of: the Gendarmes Mobiles, the CRS ii), the DCRI.
4) i) Buy your shopping on Sunday ii) from someone who's not an immigrant.
5) i) Ask a Parisian girl if it's time to get physical ii) after only a month.

If all else fails pin the flag of the Rhone-Alpes to your chest then stride into a crowded bar in Marseille and shout 'Marseillais, va te faire enculer'. Experience guaranteed.

Seriously, what tape could equip you for any of these situations?

(PS: If any of the acronyms are unfamiliar you will soon learn that French life is based on liberty, fraternity, equality and an encyclopaedic knowledge of abbreviations.)
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PrinceOfCats)
Real linguists piss on books. Experience is the (modern foreign) linguist's only teacher.

Top five experiences for learning French (only elite linguists need attempt ii)):

1) i) Attempt to open a bank account in France ii) and attempt to contact your bank once you've opened it.
2) i) Attempt to enter a 'fac bloque' ii); having entered the 'enceinte', try to enrol for a course.
3) i) Get arrested by at least one of: the Gendarmes Mobiles, the CRS ii), the DCRI.
4) i) Buy your shopping on Sunday ii) from someone who's not an immigrant.
5) i) Ask a Parisian girl if it's time to get physical ii) after only a month.

If all else fails pin the flag of the Rhone-Alpes to your chest then stride into a crowded bar in Marseille and shout 'Marseillais, va te faire enculer'. Experience guaranteed.

Seriously, what tape could equip you for any of these situations?

(PS: If any of the acronyms are unfamiliar you will soon learn that French life is based on liberty, fraternity, equality and an encyclopaedic knowledge of abbreviations.)
:rofl:

Repped.

It would help to know what level you're at OP
Rimipie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well i'm doing A level french and i ordered this book off amazon to like help me with grammar and verbs and i found it really really good, it's detailed and helpful and you get the hang of things quite easily, though some things you may need someone like a french teacher to help you out with but overall, 9/10
here it is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Mak...9557239&sr=8-1

and also you will need vocab, i recommend watching french programmes/films, with french subtitles, and using the subtitles make a note of all the french words you don't know the meaning of, then find out and voila! you have loads of vocab you might find a vocab book useful, i ordered this book but it still hasn't arrived but yeah it's supposed to be really good for vocab so try it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mot-New-Adva...9557345&sr=1-1

hope i helped!
unknownrebalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd recommend listening to french music, looking on french websites, watching french TV (TV5 Sky channel 799 I can't remember what no. it is on Virgin Media). watch french films
www.bbcafrique.com
www.frenchteacher.net
Books:
Action Grammaire
Edexcel A Level French Grammar Practice Book - really useful
Edexcel French for A Level Pupil's Book
Edexcel A2 French Student Book and CD-ROM (Edexcel A Level French)
Edexcel A Level French (AS) Student Book & CDROM
Collins Gem - French Dictionary: French - English / English - French - the best dictionary
Collins Language Revolution - French: Beginner
Collins French beginners grammer

www.about.com
www.lemonde.com
Last edited by RK; 9 months ago
¡ ugo !
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Two words Michel Thomas

Seriously, in about a month i've gone from knowing next to nothing to knowing crazy amounts. Its like he tricks you into learning :unsure:

Trust me its the best way :yep:

also there is a podcast on itunes called onethinginafrenchday, its got a transcript n everything!
username368993
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by ¡ ugo !)
Two words Michel Thomas

Seriously, in about a month i've gone from knowing next to nothing to knowing crazy amounts. Its like he tricks you into learning :unsure:

Trust me its the best way :yep:

also there is a podcast on itunes called onethinginafrenchday, its got a transcript n everything!

Thanks! Which one should I start with? These better be good, they're quite expensive
¡ ugo !
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Get the 8hrs beginners one that includes the review course. Tis expensive but its also good value. Anyways you can always get it second hand. Tbh i could sell you mine if you need, but theres probly some on ebay anyway.
Sabbby
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It might not be entirely relevant, but I can recommend a good pack of revision cards - French Swot Cards. I got them free at a language fair, but they're nicely presented and easy to follow which is ideal if your a beginner. I don't think they're on sale in shops but you can get them online at swotcards.com. The more learning material you have the better in my opinion!
lucyyyyyy227
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Try to learn to most common verbs and like most common 1000 words (google) and then practice that and read translations of children's books or Harry Potter etc and keep building on your existing knowledge of verbs and vocab whilst learning and applying any grammar you learn/ pick up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.86%
Virtual campus tours/open days (74)
21.83%
Live streaming events (32)
9.44%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.62%
A uni comparison tool (78)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (72)
21.24%