This discussion is closed.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
I am sorry but i do not consider walking through Tower Hamlets at 1am to constitute "facing the real world". Neither having "friends" that may or may not have more of an understanding of the reality of poverty.
can you tell me how old you are and how you know of the real world and what you would call the real world then? You obviously know better as you claim i do not know it.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
hey i am not coherant because i am having to defend and justify myself against people's whose ideas wouldn't stand any justification. Thatcher was one of the best things that ever happened to our country and she was voted in three times in row therefore had public legitimacy.

TO ALL OF YOU

would you fundamentally agree that "from each according to his means, to each according to his needs" is a good idea
No it's not perfect, it's preferable to Thatcherite facism though.
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by llama boy)
that is so damn patronising.

you have NO idea of the real world.

what it is like to have the pressure of poverty, to live everyday hand-to-mouth, not knowing if you have even enough money to afford the basics for you and your children.

and yet you cheerfully suggest policies that will greatly exacerbate those everyday struggles.
do you have any idea of this struggle

you dont because you are online surfing so no first hand experiance so dont patronise me
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by kildare)
Britain's rich is not made up solely of investment bankers who you happen to know, the point remains. Do you accept that for some people (because of their background) it is easier to earn large sums of money than it is for others.
yes i do accept that, but it still does depend on meritocracy. You need some way of distinguishing between workers and it is as good as any other.
JSM
Rep:
?
Regardless of income redistribution, what about public services, do you not think the state has a duty to provide adequate education and health care?
maybe, but it will be unsustainable
JSM
Rep:
?
There is no reason why they shouldn't be expected to pay a higher rate of tax over a certain threshold.
because it is already a percentage therefore they are paying more money originally and probably benefit the least from it.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Any idea what the name of the specific rule you're referring to is called.
sorry, no. i've only ever known it as the "product / process distinction".

it basically says that no country has grounds for refusing a product on the basis of the process with which it was made (eg child labour or whatever), only on the basis of actual differences in the product (eg compared to products from other countries not made with slave labour).
JSM
Rep:
?
That has nothing to do with the WTO.
still unfair trading and what about the US pressuring Europe to take Montsano and GM modified food or otherwise attacking through the WTO.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
maybe, but it will be unsustainable
Providing adequate education and health care is an unstainable goal? Eh?
JSM
Rep:
?
yeah, great, that'll solve the problems of the working class.
soem of them, but you cannot make everybody's life perfect. simple analogy, in a 100m race everyone wants to win the race, if you draw it no one has won it therefore unfair. someone has to win it is zero sum
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
do you have any idea of this struggle

you dont because you are online surfing so no first hand experiance so dont patronise me
true, but at least i don't patronise those who do by

a) pretending i do
or
b) proposing policies that will make their plight even worse.
JSM
Rep:
?
No it's not perfect, it's preferable to Thatcherite facism though.
what is perfect?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
still unfair trading and what about the US pressuring Europe to take Montsano and GM modified food or otherwise attacking through the WTO.
The WTO is set up to promote free trade. If they are gulity of flouting a law which they themselves agreed to then they only have themselves to blame.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
what is perfect?
Chris Kamara
JSM
Rep:
?
Providing adequate education and health care is an unstainable goal? Eh?
medical costs are rising as the new techniques allow people to live longer, causing the ageing boom. Eventually it will be so successful ( heading that way) that the government cannot pay for everybody's health care.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
soem of them, but you cannot make everybody's life perfect. simple analogy, in a 100m race everyone wants to win the race, if you draw it no one has won it therefore unfair. someone has to win it is zero sum
er no, not really.

i don't see why there has to be a race, and i certainly don't see why equality is undesirable.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry, no. i've only ever known it as the "product / process distinction".

it basically says that no country has grounds for refusing a product on the basis of the process with which it was made (eg child labour or whatever), only on the basis of actual differences in the product (eg compared to products from other countries not made with slave labour).
Hmmm, well developing countries would benefit more from that rule (from a purely economic point of view anyway). What exactly is your gripe with it?
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Chris Kamara
JSM
Rep:
?
true, but at least i don't patronise those who do by

a) pretending i do
or
b) proposing policies that will make their plight even worse.
i dont understand because every case is an individual, however you do pretend you know as otherwise you could not challenge me on this. You cannot make everyones plight better as there will always be relative poverty unless under totalitariansim which is a huge challenge against liberty.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
medical costs are rising as the new techniques allow people to live longer, causing the ageing boom. Eventually it will be so successful ( heading that way) that the government cannot pay for everybody's health care.
People's economic conditions are also improving, therefore allowing more and more people to turn to private healthcare, thereby easing the strain on the public sector.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (385)
67.19%
No (188)
32.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed