Turn on thread page Beta

Liberal Democrat's Policies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    It's a film. It's really good. Highlights the major problems with the US private healthcare system. And how over 40 million people are not insured. Moreover, how the insurance companies dodge claims. It's about a guy (Denzel Washington) who is a factory worker, his wife works in a grocery store. He has been paying insurance at work, (it is automatically deducted every month from his paycheck). His son needs a heart transplant, but the company changed his policy without informing him. He needs $250,000 to pay for his son's operation. The insurance company will only give him $20,000.
    Aye, I've seen it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Let me explain. Investment bankers tend to work as follows...

Put money in. Get workers to labour for less than the actual value of said labour. Take surplus (ie profit).

That is the exploitation.
    tehy do not actually exploit.

They work like this, depending on whether they structure convertibles or are a straight trader (even then they have expertise) etc decide where to invest, buy shares in company (if at issuance, company gets more money to do what they want if not but the shares off previosu owner). Then sell shares when they get higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    sad, but you cant give everyone what they need

lol. The message of the film is that everyone there appears to want lower taxes and votes for the party that promises them.* And then they wonder why such things happen. It was a flop at the US box office (in a similar way to Three kings), simply due to the political and social dig it makes.

(* There are scenes where Denzel watches clips of Bush on the tv. Plus at the end of the film, there are appearences from internally well-known political speakers.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Aye, I've seen it
    Did you like the film?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    lol. The message of the film is that everyone there appears to want lower taxes and votes for the party that promises them.* And then they wonder why such things happen. It was a flop at the US box office (in a similar way to Three kings), simply due to the political and social dig it makes.

(* There are scenes where Denzel watches clips of Bush on the tv. Plus at the end of the film, there are appearences from internally well-known political speakers.)
    well its true, please tell me your age, are you hding it for privacy reasons or what.

peversely in britain everyone votes for the party that says it will spend more (and how are you going to spend more, by raising taxes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    im glad i amuse you. And you are still avoiding the subject of your age. What economic theories wasn't i sure about. I am studying AS level, what deficiencies was i suggesting. Please highlight.

I have extreme dedication and motivation, look at how i respond to everyone on this thread. I would do anything to get out of that situation. Personally i believe charity is private not state functioned and i am sure that when i earn a lot of money i will help those in need. I would just rather choose what my money goes to than have the government allocate it.

Im confused about what exactly you are all trying to suggest and the last statement was aimed at everyone posting. On the subject what would you propose instead of Thatcherism.
    Just handing people money (i.e charity) doesn't really help that much, governments can both allocate money and enforce regulations which create a far greater social benefit than charity does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    tehy do not actually exploit.

They work like this, depending on whether they structure convertibles or are a straight trader (even then they have expertise) etc decide where to invest, buy shares in company (if at issuance, company gets more money to do what they want if not but the shares off previosu owner). Then sell shares when they get higher.
    well, yeah. but the whole system works on the basis of profiting from said surplus, backed up by the state's monopoly on violence.

ReputationRep:
    Just handing people money (i.e charity) doesn't really help that much, governments can both allocate money and enforce regulations which create a far greater social benefit than charity does.
    *******s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    well its true, please tell me your age, are you hding it for privacy reasons or what.

peversely in britain everyone votes for the party that says it will spend more (and how are you going to spend more, by raising taxes)

How is the government going to spend more, by raising taxes? Mhmhmh. Let me think...well perhaps with the surplus raised in the taxes they collected!
    ( I am 19)

ReputationRep:
    well, yeah. but the whole system works on the basis of profiting from said surplus, backed up by the state's monopoly on violence.
    yep, but i wont be exploiting

ahh well good night, my rents are screwing at me, maybe continue it tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Did you like the film?
    I did indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    yep, but i wont be exploiting

ahh well good night, my rents are screwing at me, maybe continue it tomorrow
    night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    *******s
    Come on, you study economics you must have studied the economic problems that charitable contributions create and the possible (better) alternatives?

ReputationRep:
    Come on, you study economics you must have studied the economic problems that charitable contributions create and the possible (better) alternatives?

I don't think he has got to that module yet :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for my responses on this thread this evening , if they seem rather aggressive. I am a little angel, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    I apologise for my responses on this thread this evening , if they seem rather aggressive. I am a little angel, really.
    Hmm we shall see (hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm we shall see (hopefully)
    What should I take that to mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    What should I take that to mean?
    Hopefully I will meet my offer and find out :P

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I will meet my offer and find out :P
    what...so you're BOTH going to Oxford?

<runs away and cries>

ReputationRep:
    what...so you're BOTH going to Oxford?

<runs away and cries>

Yep, to read the best subject in the world....History

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.