kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
what...so you're BOTH going to Oxford?

<runs away and cries>
Ask me that one on the 6th of July.......

What's your first choice now?
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Yep, to read the best subject in the world....History
naturally.....
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Ask me that one on the 6th of July.......

You get your results early!!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Aye, my exams are between the 3rd-21st of May and the results come out on the 6th of July. So yea, fingers crossed.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Aye, my exams are between the 3rd-21st of May and the results come out on the 6th of July. So yea, fingers crossed.

*fingers crossed*
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Warwick or York. Not too bad, but not quite the same, either.

(Original post by aliel)
I know - its infuriating - i knew people at work last summer doing IB - they get their results, like, 5 weeks before ours.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
Warwick or York. Not too bad, but not quite the same, either.

I know - its infuriating - i knew people at work last summer doing IB - they get their results, like, 5 weeks before ours.
It is quite handy if you just miss your offer too......
JSM
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
How is the government going to spend more, by raising taxes? Mhmhmh. Let me think...well perhaps with the surplus raised in the taxes they collected!
( I am 19)
well seeing as the government is currently running a huge deficit . . .
JSM
Rep:
?
Come on, you study economics you must have studied the economic problems that charitable contributions create and the possible (better) alternatives?
whoever said i am studying economics. Better alternatives like the state providing for the poor (which i dont want with my money) and i am not necessarily talking about individual contributions to a perrson, give to a charity as even the foudner of the big issue (albeit slightly biased) syas don't give money to people on the street.
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
Yep, to read the best subject in the world....History
i dunno which to apply for next year, PPE or history, i was also consifderign law but i might just do a conversion course.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
i dunno which to apply for next year, PPE or history, i was also consifderign law but i might just do a conversion course.
I think most historians at one point have considered reading Law. I did consider it, but am so glad that i didnt choose to do it. History is much more interesting in my opinion, and many solicitors/barristers initially read History at university. History is great training for those who want to then go and practice Law. As for PPE, it sounds an excellent course, but admittedly i didn't want to have to do too much work at university.
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
I think most historians at one point have considered reading Law. I did consider it, but am so glad that i didnt choose to do it. History is much more interesting in my opinion, and many solicitors/barristers initially read History at university. History is great training for those who want to then go and practice Law. As for PPE, it sounds an excellent course, but admittedly i didn't want to have to do too much work at university.
But it does add an extra year on before you can become a lawyer, because you have an extra conversion course year. Although that pretty much sums up what i am thinking, although i love various aspects of politics, philosphy and economics that i wouldnt consider it all work.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
But it does add an extra year on before you can become a lawyer, because you have an extra conversion course year. Although that pretty much sums up what i am thinking, although i love various aspects of politics, philosphy and economics that i wouldnt consider it all work.
An extra year is nothing in the scheme of things. PPE and similar courses at the top unis IS a lot of work, verging on the ridicoulous. At my Oxford briefing, we were told that we should expect an essay and a half there. Ie. One essay a week, and one essay a for a fortnight. It may not sound a lot, but bear in my mind the amount of reading and research that has to go into preparation. The thing with reading History at university is that the individual can do as much or as little work as they want. It's a lonely subject.
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
An extra year is nothing in the scheme of things. PPE and similar courses at the top unis IS a lot of work, verging on the ridicoulous. At my Oxford briefing, we were told that we should expect an essay and a half there. Ie. One essay a week, and one essay a for a fortnight. It may not sound a lot, but bear in my mind the amount of reading and research that has to go into preparation. The thing with reading History at university is that the individual can do as much or as little work as they want. It's a lonely subject.
ahh well, but its the same in any course, the amoutn you put in is the amount that you get out
JSM
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
oh yeah and the countries that are in economic troubles and are spoiling the euro for the rest of the european countries, have awesome job security and pension plans but they are losing growth and therefore will soon start having unemployment. Plus socialsim leads to totalitarianism e.g. Communism, Nazis
go and read F.A. Hayek's - The Road To Serfdom and read some newspapers and history books and then tell me that is the stupidest thing you have ever heard.

(btw this is to the person that gave me neg rep)
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
go and read F.A. Hayek's - The Road To Serfdom and read some newspapers and history books and then tell me that is the stupidest thing you have ever heard.

(btw this is to the person that gave me neg rep)
(i'm not the one who gave you negative rep, but....)

i wouldn't say it was the stupidest thing i've ever heard....but it is an insultingly simplistic representation of what is an already fairly tenuous theory.

and besides, just because something is in a book doesn't mean it's true...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (216)
67.92%
No (102)
32.08%

Watched Threads