The Student Room Group

Will I be able to go to University again?

I'm 19, and I've just recently finished my first year studying English Language at the University of Manchester. I absolutely hated my course - it was not what I expected it to be. To make things worse, my accommodation was awful too so I've been living at home and commuting, which has all made me feel really depressed in the past year, what with everyone loving their courses and Uni life etc. I tried my best to transfer onto a different course, which didn't happen. So now I'm taking a year out and working, to apply to university for 2011.

Recently i've been reading soo many things in the news about how Universities are over subscribed and turning people away who have like 3A grades. It's scaring me to death. Will I get turned away because I've been to University before? Will I be at a huge disadvantage because I left after my first year? I got 4 A grades at A-Level in English Language, Law, Sociology and Psychology - are these good enough for a University? Sorry, I'm just really scared, because the thought of waiting another year depresses me even more.
Reply 1
no, your life is over.

Edit: Cheers for the neg, but your life is still over.

Edit 2: Yay for idiots.

Edit 3: I see red :redface:

Edit 4: Atleast leave a comment guise!
Reply 2
Dont be silly...of course you willl
Reply 3
Of course you'll be able to.

Can I ask what you didn't like about the English Language course?
Reply 4
It's true that applications are up from previous years, but with your grades, you should be almost guaranteed at least one offer. Did you pass your first year at Manchester? If so, you should be entitled to what's called a Certificate in Higher Education in your subject. This would likely further improve your chances of a successful application when coupled with your A Level grades, as it will set you apart from somebody who had just spent the year after their A Levels doing nothing.

Good luck, and don't worry about it. :smile: There will always be places available for students with the potential to do well at university.
Reply 5
Don't worry about it, you'll be able to get into uni again.
I got in for this September after get about 7 rejections, but i didn't give up & learnt from the mistakes i made in previous interviews.
:]
*A* university? Yes. For the course that you want in a university of your choice? That depends.

Latest

Trending

Trending