The Student Room Group

Any help would be absolutely delightful.

Good evening.

The reason why I have joined this forum is because I am in a bit of an intolerable situation and was hoping to get some advice before I make any potentially crippling decision.

I am 20. I have been a chronic underachiever for most of my academic stint, never living up to potential, never putting the work in when it's required. This is due to a number of reasons. To begin with I was never interested in academics. In addition I’ve always been more interested in extracurricular activities. And finally I’ve never really known what I wanted to do with my life. (Oh and I’m intrinsically lazy).

When I finished college, gaining a couple of city and guilds in Television and Video production and Journalism, a B in Media and a C in Graphics, I was pretty much certain that I wanted to be an actor. Yes it seems odd, but that is my ultimate goal. However, after taking one gap year and being very close to getting into drama school, I decided that I needed to get a degree. No I’ll change that, I want to get a degree.

In the two years I’ve spent working, acting and travelling, I’ve become interested in all forms of academics ranging from metaphysics, to literature, critical analysis etc. With a new found impetus I decided a degree in philosophy would be the way forward. However, given my relatively bad A level results, I decided to do some more. I opted for English Literature, Politics and Film Studies. I applied for six universities and hoped that gaining three A’s (At AS level only) would be enough to ensure an offer on at least one relatively good course. This didn’t pan out how I had anticipated. I didn’t get one offer from any of the universities. You may argue that had I set my standards far too high (Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol) but if I do say so myself, the establishments in question are well within my intellectual reach. As it turns out I got three A’s and so the year wasn’t a big waste of time. (Very high UMS on each might I add - 294 in Film, 277 in Politics).

Now I’m in a profoundly hebetudinous situation. The thought of returning to college causes my nose to haemorrhage adventitiously. However, if I were to do so I could probably get a place at a decent university. It would mean that I would go in as a “Mature Student” but to be honest, 21 isn’t really that old so that isn’t a major issue. If I was to go to university this year, the only option I really have is apply through clearing, which to be honest isn’t that appealing. The courses and in some cases the universities on offer aren’t the best and it all seems a bit ad hoc. But at the same time the prospect of another 9 months of college is unbearable. And the cycle continues and my brain caves in.

What would be your advice on the following things? Should I stick out the extra year going to a better university at 21? Should I pick a random clearing option and go for it? What issues may I have applying as an older student? Do universities frown upon us? I’ve noticed Cambridge seems to take on mainly 18/19 year old people, would 21 be too old?

Now that I’ve discharged this convoluted amphigory, would anybody who has been in a similar situation be able to help?

David.
Hi David! :smile:

Now when you're asking as politely as that (mind you, I am using a predominantly pommy forum :biggrin: ), how could I resist? :p:

Tbh, I think you're being too hard on yourself! :smile: You sound very intelligent and seem to know what you're doing. 21 is not old at all to be at uni, I'm that age and here I am (although I do graduate at the end of this year :redface: but let's not pay attention to that).

So let's see, you got B in Media and a C in Graphics at the end of college, that's alright. Plus you did great in Film, so I can definitely see you doing well in a BA Media and Communications or something.

That's a pretty good degree, a friend of mine did that and got snapped up instantly by a certain organisation as soon as she had graduated at the end of last year, if that helps.

Anyway best of luck with whatever you decide to do, but I recommend working that extra year to get into the uni you really want to study at.

And don't worry about your age! My BF was almost 23 when he stated uni, he's now 26 and still here with me :biggrin: But he's doing honours, lol. We graduate at the same time :cool:

DB_x
Reply 2
Don't go to a place in clearing just because you feel you have to go somewhere.
Remember you can do distance learning A levels too.

What drama schools did you apply to btw? (I'm a drama student :biggrin:)
Hi David

I think it's probably best if you stay on at college for another year and complete your A-Levels. Having achieved 3 A's at AS, if you persevere, hopefully you will come out with the same result at A2 Level and be able to properly prepare for university and have time to think about your applications and university choices. It is definitely not a good idea to just pick a random university and course through clearing now and go with it. You would no doubt end up hating the course and wishing you'd done something you really wanted to do.

21 is not particularly old to go to university; I will be 21 in a couple of months and I'm starting university for the second time (dropped out first time around) this September. You will come across a lot of people that have been through similar situations (and worse!) when you get to uni.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply 4
RADA and LAMDA - Forth round rejection and a waiting list spot. Grrrrrr.... I'll try again this year no matter what I end up doing.

Thanks for the replies!
Reply 5
Stick it out one more year at college then go to the uni you want to do the course you want :smile: You've come this far - don't settle for second best. You sound like you're really serious about this studying a degree business so you may as well go for the best you can get and by the sounds of things, it's not through Clearing.

Btw Cambridge has colleges especially for mature students, which is 21 years old onwards. There're 4 such colleges I think, one of which is a women's college. So 3 in your case. So no, I don't think mature students are frowned upon by Cam or in general. In fact your life experience may make you a stronger candidate.
Reply 6
I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage applying as a "mature" student. Especially not from the point of view of getting a place at the university - if you can demonstrate that you'd be a better student then I can't see any reason why they'd choose someone younger.
If you've looked at clearing properly and there's nowhere you'd like to go, then don't apply because there's no point in going somewhere you'd hate just to make sure you get to do "a degree".
I'd agree with Acaila - maybe look into A-levels by distance learning if you don't like your local college? I don't think universities in Britain typically give out offers based on AS levels so you'd stand a much better chance applying with a few A-levels.
Good luck to you!
Jenn xx
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice. Very useful to hear from other people.
Reply 8
jaques_derrida
Thanks for the advice. Very useful to hear from other people.

generally, uni's tend to prefer mature students (from what Ive heard and my own experience of having applied as a mature student) as they believe mature students have more "life experience" and appear much mor dedicated their degree than perhaps some younger students......................
Reply 9
absolutely delightful? :rolleyes: :biggrin:
do an access course, they're actually pretty darn good for getting you to university, plus its only 3daytimes a week which leaves you plently of space to work.

it is intensive though.

Latest

Trending

Trending