The Student Room Group

Toes keep splitting open

Every so often, my third and fourth toe on each of my foot splits open. It's always along the crease on the underside of my toe (the bit where your toe folds over). It's always the third toe on my left foot and the fourth toe on my right foot.

It's just done it again (I woke up this morning and my toe on my left foot had split open all along the crease). There's no blood or anything, no sign of a cut, it's just split open and it's like raw flesh. It's the crease that connects the toe to my foot, so naturally as I walked it opened it up more and it's gaping open. It's still not bleeding, but it is oozing a bit. I've covered it in antiseptic and a plaster to try and prevent anything from getting into it and making it worse. It's very painful at the moment. I've also got a smaller one on the fourth toe of my right foot, in the second crease which isn't as painful, but it's still only just appeared as well.

This happens all the time. Every few weeks or so they open up, always on the same toes. Does anyone know what might be causing it? They normally clear up fairly quickly (though the one I've got at the moment is the most painful and inflamed I've ever had), and as I work full time by the time I think to make a doctor's appointment they've gone. Google is only bringing up results related to babies, and as far as I'm aware I haven't been one of those in a while.

Ta in advance. I've kept it anon because it's a tad gross!
Reply 1
It sounds as though the area of skin maybe dry? Try using a moisturiser before bed/in the morning and apply Sudacream (sp?) to the wounds - this should prevent the cracking and loosen up the surrounding skin and the Sudacream should prevent any infections and subsequent swelling. Also maybe put a pressure dressing on it to stop the area splitting and allow it to heal fully. I had something like this along my finger, where it was cut extremely cleanly, so even after it healed occasionally when I'd make a fist putting pressure onto the area it would split open and while there wasn't puss ect. you could see the "raw flesh" at the bottom.

Sorry if this is bad advice, but it's not too clear what it is, while it's gross a pic would defiantly help.
Anonymous
Every so often, my third and fourth toe on each of my foot splits open. It's always along the crease on the underside of my toe (the bit where your toe folds over). It's always the third toe on my left foot and the fourth toe on my right foot.

It's just done it again (I woke up this morning and my toe on my left foot had split open all along the crease). There's no blood or anything, no sign of a cut, it's just split open and it's like raw flesh. It's the crease that connects the toe to my foot, so naturally as I walked it opened it up more and it's gaping open. It's still not bleeding, but it is oozing a bit. I've covered it in antiseptic and a plaster to try and prevent anything from getting into it and making it worse. It's very painful at the moment. I've also got a smaller one on the fourth toe of my right foot, in the second crease which isn't as painful, but it's still only just appeared as well.

This happens all the time. Every few weeks or so they open up, always on the same toes. Does anyone know what might be causing it? They normally clear up fairly quickly (though the one I've got at the moment is the most painful and inflamed I've ever had), and as I work full time by the time I think to make a doctor's appointment they've gone. Google is only bringing up results related to babies, and as far as I'm aware I haven't been one of those in a while.

this sounds like my dads icky toes...
ATHLETES FOOT :biggrin:
simple cream should fix it :smile:
hermione xxx
Reply 3
I looked up Athlete's Foot. I don't have any other kind of symptoms apart from the toe thing, so I'm not sure it'd be that. The skin's not dry at all. I'm keeping it well I took some rather delicious pictures. I wiped all the gunk off first.

Spoiler

Thanks for your help, sorry it's a bit gross!
My father has diabetes. His feet crack that due to poor circulation. I don't think yours is that level, however. :puke:
Reply 5
Hah! Our toes look alike! That means it's eczema. I put a drop of white distilled vinegar on the crack, then a little dab of antibiotic goop/cream. Mine has never become bad enough for eczema creams, but the little boogers do hurt like mad sometimes. Stress, changes in weather, or allergies can bring it on btw.
I have the same thing! It really does sting! I'm walking about my room and I'm thinking 'omg why are my toes stinging?'
I genuinely think it's just down to dry feet :smile:
So my idea of advice is
Let it heal...
...Then moisturise your toes :wink:

Erin xoxo
I have exact same. No matter what I use it always come back. My doctor advised me not to wear flip flops he said its where youre toes stretch too far. Its horrible and painful. I havent had them so bad since. Hope thats helps. Mel x
Reply 8
Original post by Jess_eye
Hah! Our toes look alike! That means it's eczema. I put a drop of white distilled vinegar on the crack, then a little dab of antibiotic goop/cream. Mine has never become bad enough for eczema creams, but the little boogers do hurt like mad sometimes. Stress, changes in weather, or allergies can bring it on btw.

Dude... just use the cream. It doesn't have to be 'bad' in order to need it.
I have exactly the same thing. I came looking for advice to soothe it. The cream is simple and worked for me. Definitely try the cream it soothes the stinging and gets better after 1-2 days.
Easy and quick
Hope that helps x
That sounds v familiar! Mine do it n I've worn(sheepskin ) flip flops rec n I'm sure it's dry skin n toes streatching too much!! Loads of gunk cream n socks overnight should help!
Original post by Anonymous

That sounds strange, I bet you hate wearing socks, the blood must go everywhere. You should get it checked out, I've never heard of something like that
When I was a kid all but my big to would do the same thing every spring. it would last about 2 weeks and then go away for the season. my Dr. thought it may be some kind of an allergy to something that time of year. This went on for years. some times it could get sore but most of the time it was just irritating because I knew it was there. Is there something different that you do that is not part of your normal routine within 48 hours before this happens?
I get this under my boobs and tummy and found using canestan cream works wonders afterbthe first use make sure u wash and pat dry the area then gentle rub in the cream to affected area I then spread a little more cream on the affected areas to sink in I have found a marked improvement doing this after 48 hrs keep doing this until it has gone then always make sure the areas are clean and dry
Reply 14
S/he said it doesn't bleed.
I'm closing this cos it's an old thread and that gets confusing. If anybody wants to discuss something similar please feel free to make a new thread. :smile:

Latest