This discussion is closed.
*Riz*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I think I've figured out why rejection hits people so much. When I got rejected from Notts it really got to me, even though I had got an offer from Warwick the day before and would have chosen Warwick over Notts anyway. When I got rejected i suddenly really wanted to have the chance to go there again.
I know for me, and many other academic people rejection from uni is often the first (or one of very few) times that they have been rejected from, turned away from or failed anything. This may sound a little arrogant - not intended - but I don't think I've ever been rejected from anything before, I didn't worry about getting the grades for getting into sixth form or to take the higher papers in my GCSE's. In my sixth form, I am at the top end - but in the big wide world of universities I'm far from it.
Often I don't think people are used to competeing against so many people as good (or better) than them and have never failed at anything before. So thats why rejection hits them them so hard. I think this was ceratinly the case with me anyway. Many people have said the same about failing their driving test.
matouwah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
I think I've figured out why rejection hits people so much. When I got rejected from Notts it really got to me, even though I had got an offer from Warwick the day before and would have chosen Warwick over Notts anyway. When I got rejected i suddenly really wanted to have the chance to go there again.
I know for me, and many other academic people rejection from uni is often the first (or one of very few) times that they have been rejected from, turned away from or failed anything. This may sound a little arrogant - not intended - but I don't think I've ever been rejected from anything before, I didn't worry about getting the grades for getting into sixth form or to take the higher papers in my GCSE's. In my sixth form, I am at the top end - but in the big wide world of universities I'm far from it.
Often I don't think people are used to competeing against so many people as good (or better) than them and have never failed at anything before. So thats why rejection hits them them so hard. I think this was ceratinly the case with me anyway. Many people have said the same about failing their driving test.

yeah i got rejected at my top 2 choices for uni.....**** happens....just make sure u have enough toilet paper....
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Or there is someone in the toilet next door who can pass you some under the door when you run out....
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Or there is someone in the toilet next door who can pass you some under the door when you run out....
unfortunately ucas dont allow ppl to fwd their offers.....i wouldnt mind giving some offers i was to reject to ppl who i thoguht were deserving and really wanted to go there.......
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Yeah, I have a spare Birmingham offer for Psychology - ABB - anyone want to swap for a Notts offer?? LOL if only.....
*Riz*
Rep:
?
UCAS shold seriously consider updating their offer proccess for the next academic year taking into account our proposed changes...hehe...
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
UCAS shold seriously consider updating their offer proccess for the next academic year taking into account our proposed changes...hehe...
hahah i will trade eco at UCL (AAA) and industiral eco at warawick (AAB) and civil eng at imperial (ABB) and chem eng at imperial (BBB) for EEM at oxford.....any offers?
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Wow thats a good deal for someone....4 offers in exchange for just one (oxbridge it may be).
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
I think I've figured out why rejection hits people so much. When I got rejected from Notts it really got to me, even though I had got an offer from Warwick the day before and would have chosen Warwick over Notts anyway. When I got rejected i suddenly really ....
yes i agree with you....its like in your school, you're the best but when it comes to unis you're suddenly launched into the big bad wurrrrld!!!!!!1 suddenly you're not the best but faced with loadza competition and rejection kills........believe me im still in the pool for cambridge and absolutely drowning in it
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Hopefully someone will pass you a float before you drown.....
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Hopefully someone will pass you a float before you drown.....
lolz yes it would be nice but dont think it will happen
Aylia
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My most embarassing rejection though would have to be due to failing the M&S 15 question multiple choice
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
The rejection from Oxford didn't hit me hard at all, in fact I couldn't care less!!! I guess it's because I'm used to rejection. This is because i'm a performing arts person and audition a lot. I also used to model till last year (quit because of IB) and you get rejected at auditions all the time. When you hear you've been unsuccessful you think, 'oh that's nice, what's next? ' However I did feel a tad disappointed when I didn't get through after being called for three call backs for the Japanese professoinal version of the musical Miss Saigon Well, as they say, what doesn't kill us just makes as stronger!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
I totally agree! I got rejected by Cambridge but it didn't really bother me (for the first few days though I was crying like crazy coz' it hurt!) but now I'm alright with what I've got:
Notts ABB, Manchester ABB and Leeds BBB

I'm still waiting for Durham and Warwick and figuring they'll probably accept me since lots of people have been rejected already for Law. But yeh, even if I get rejected, I've already made my mind up to go to Notts
what subject/college?
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sorry just read the post properly! Law ! but which college?
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got offers from all the unis i applied to for chemisty, except imperial but i declined that myself. I got offers of BBB from warwick and durham and BBC from york and leeds
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
I got offers from all the unis i applied to for chemisty, except imperial but i declined that myself. I got offers of BBB from warwick and durham and BBC from york and leeds
York's the best uni out of the ones u mentioned there.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm getting really pissed off cos i've only heard from 2 unis out of 6 even though i applied ages ago - 14th Oct. Do u think it's more likely that if u havn't heard for ages u'll get in or rejected?
*Riz*
Rep:
?
I'd say its usually more a good thing than a bad if you havent heard.....apart from in the case of Notts.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads