I've been running 20 minutes everyday for nearly 3 weeks Watch

This discussion is closed.
_charley_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So ive been a treadmill everyday for nearly 3 weeks for 20 minutes burning 200 calories at a time. I've cut down on my eating, i don't eat over my calorie limit, im female by the way, i have also cut down on my drinking. Yet i have lost no weight . I don't actually need to loose weight as my BMI is fine ..im 5ft8 and weigh exactly 10 stone. But i used to be a perfect size 10 but after a yeat at uni i am now a 12 but want to get back to my size 10! was just wondering what mroe i can do? or whethyer to just keep going and then i will see results? thanks
NoFunnyBusiness
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maybe with that exercise, your just maintaining your weight...might need to increase your calories burnt!
CB91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Run faster, burn more calories, have rest days, make sure you're eating well.
whataperfectionist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _charley_)
So ive been a treadmill everyday for nearly 3 weeks for 20 minutes burning 200 calories at a time. I've cut down on my eating, i don't eat over my calorie limit, im female by the way, i have also cut down on my drinking. Yet i have lost no weight . I don't actually need to loose weight as my BMI is fine ..im 5ft8 and weigh exactly 10 stone. But i used to be a perfect size 10 but after a yeat at uni i am now a 12 but want to get back to my size 10! was just wondering what mroe i can do? or whethyer to just keep going and then i will see results? thanks
You need to take some rest days because if you run too much you might cause yourself an injury... You could also try a different form of exercise such as dancing or cycling, or try running at different speed for different lengths of time, or go for a run outside? That might help you burn more calories...
Hope that helps
_charley_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks guys =] liking the sound of rest days ha
Ivan91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What speed is it on and do you add gradient? 200 calories for 20 minutes doesn't sound like much, the treadmills at the gym I go to say (but this is wrong) 800 calories in 20 mins if I remember correctly. You should add a bit of gradient too so it's like running outside and a bit harder. You should just measure each run by distance and speed rather than calories, much more reliable.
blatchcorn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1) Give yourself two rest days a week
2) Increase the duration of one run a week
3) Increase the intensity, like by adding sprints, of one run a week
sauce
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
What is your "calorie limit"? If I was you I would run 30-40 minutes a day 5 days a week, maybe outside? It gets less boring haha :p:
and chuck some swimming and cycling and weight training in there too, exercise and healthy eating should be a lifestyle change not something you decide to do when you need to drop some weight, that way you'll stay in shape throughout your life.
(Original post by Ivan91)
What speed is it on and do you add gradient? 200 calories for 20 minutes doesn't sound like much, did just less than 800 calories in 20 mins today if I remember correctly.
Jesus, how many mph where you doing? a 35 min run for me burns around at least 30-360 odd calories. I'm hardly fast tbh but you must be burning some ass to burn more than double what I do in nearly half the time.
Ivan91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sauce)
Jesus, how many mph where you doing? a 35 min run for me burns around at least 30-360 odd calories. I'm hardly fast tbh but you must be burning some ass to burn more than double what I do in nearly half the time.
Was trying HIIT on a treadmill for the first time so it was a bit dodgy with time delay on speed changes etc; but sprinting at 14 km/h (8.7 mph) for 1 minute, lowering to 6 km/h (3.73 mph) for 30 seconds walking and repeat for 20 mins... then finished with 5 mins at constant 11.5 km/h jog. Not great speeds but I'm not a very experienced runner :p: Also I always add 1% gradient when running, no matter what speed.

I think the "calories burned" counter on treadmills might not be a very reliable thing to use, probably very different on every treadmill depending on the make etc. :confused: Last week I ran for 34 minutes at a constant 11 km/h and it burned bang on 1000 calories (according to the treadmill)
sauce
Report 9 years ago
Was trying HIIT on a treadmill for the first time so it was a bit dodgy with time delay on speed changes etc; but sprinting at 14 km/h (8.7 mph) for 1 minute, lowering to 6 km/h (3.73 mph) for 30 seconds walking and repeat for 20 mins... then finished with 5 mins at constant 11.5 km/h jog. Not great speeds but I'm not a very experienced runner :p: Also I always add 1% gradient when running, no matter what speed.

I think the "calories burned" counter on treadmills might not be a very reliable thing to use, probably very different on every treadmill depending on the make etc. :confused: Last week I ran for 34 minutes at a constant 11 km/h and it burned bang on 1000 calories (according to the treadmill)
sounds to me like its severely overestimating but tbh you sound like you're doing awesome anyway
Ivan91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sauce)
sounds to me like its severely overestimating but tbh you sound like you're doing awesome anyway
Cheers, what speed do you run at just out of interest?

I've just been doing the 20 mins of HIIT 3-4 times a week with the odd weight-lifting day, and losing 2lb per week consistently for a few months now... so the machine can overestimate the calories burned all it likes, don't care tbh!
sauce
Report 9 years ago
Cheers, what speed do you run at just out of interest?

I've just been doing the 20 mins of HIIT 3-4 times a week with the odd weight-lifting day, and losing 2lb per week consistently for a few months now... so the machine can overestimate the calories burned all it likes, don't care tbh!
That's good. I run 5k 5 x a week and I run at around 5-5.5 mph :ashamed2:
I also mix a bit of swimming/cycling in there too and am on a diet.
Have only lost 6lbs in a month though :emo: which sucks but hopefully I'm losing it in a good way and will end up looking hot
Mr Anononomous
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Calorie counter on your treadmill is talking ********. Constant 11km for 34mins is around 450 calories. I did it today.
Ivan91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sauce)
That's good. I run 5k 5 x a week and I run at around 5-5.5 mph :ashamed2:
I also mix a bit of swimming/cycling in there too and am on a diet.
Have only lost 6lbs in a month though :emo: which sucks but hopefully I'm losing it in a good way and will end up looking hot
Not much difference between 6lbs and 8lbs per month, maybe just run a bit faster. You'll hardly even notice the difference if you just go 1mph or so faster on the treadmill, but it'll make a ton of difference. I started off at 8km/h (approx. 5mph) and added 1km/h every two weeks, now I just jog at 11 km/h and it feels pretty steady.

(Original post by Mr Anononomous)
Calorie counter on your treadmill is talking ********. Constant 11km for 34mins is around 450 calories. I did it today.
Fair enough, I pointed out they aren't very accurate anyway in my first post... blame Virgin gym! Probably setting their treadmills to tell people they're burning alot more so they keep coming back :awesome:
sauce
Report 9 years ago
Not much difference between 6lbs and 8lbs per month, maybe just run a bit faster. You'll hardly even notice the difference if you just go 1mph or so faster on the treadmill, but it'll make a ton of difference. I started off at 8km/h (approx. 5mph) and added 1km/h every two weeks, now I just jog at 11 km/h and it feels pretty steady.

Fair enough, I pointed out they aren't very accurate anyway in my first post... blame Virgin gym! Probably setting their treadmills to tell people they're burning alot more so they keep coming back :awesome:
Sorry didn't read your previous post properly :ashamed2: I do try and increase the intensity( I have come miles since I couldn even run 3k ....) but I am massively top heavy and its sooo difficult to go any faster without feeling like I'm gonna knock myself out! lol. I need some weight training but its just geting an induction at the gym and get on with it.
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
one pound of fat is 3500 calories. 3500/200 = 17.5 of your runs to burn one pound.

Up the ante.
Ivan91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sauce)
Sorry didn't read your previous post properly :ashamed2: I do try and increase the intensity( I have come miles since I couldn even run 3k ....) but I am massively top heavy and its sooo difficult to go any faster without feeling like I'm gonna knock myself out! lol. I need some weight training but its just geting an induction at the gym and get on with it.
Maybe take a friend who has a clue and get them to show you the basics. I never could be arsed with an induction and kept avoiding it whenever the staff asked me to book one, ended up taking a mate on a guest pass and he was like a free personal trainer... more fun than training with the fake-nice Virgin staff anyway :p:
qasman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
need to do much more than 20 minutes to burn fat, at least you've increased you're fitness to a level where you should be able to do something like 40-60 mins in one go (im guessing, but just you have to run for around that amount of time to get your body in the 'fat burning' zone)
heyimbored
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So ive been a treadmill everyday...
Well, you need to use one, not be one.

Sorry, that was awful.

Rest days are good, and yeah, 200 calories doesn't sound like much, you need to do it for longer, and possibly faster, remember to build up slowly though, don't jump into the deep end, otherwise you wont burn as much.
sauce
Report 9 years ago
Maybe take a friend who has a clue and get them to show you the basics. I never could be arsed with an induction and kept avoiding it whenever the staff asked me to book one, ended up taking a mate on a guest pass and he was like a free personal trainer... more fun than training with the fake-nice Virgin staff anyway :p:
Good idea *fishes out a free guess pass*
Man, they cant be as bad as david lloyd. So stuck up :nothing:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.75%
It's just nice to be back! (206)
26.89%
Not great so far... (275)
35.9%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.45%

Watched Threads