So is Killroy racist? Watch

This discussion is closed.
vaginadischarge
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, you have your opinons, but not swearing would be a good start, and good screen name BTW>
Thanks
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
But surely not this type of luxery!!! They should reflect on their sins not spend their time diverting themselcves on other activities.
Yeah prison looks lovely - you even get an en-suite bog in your bedroom. Why dont you go out and punch a policeman so that you too can sample this luxury?

If you treat people badly then they will not suddenly become nice people they will hate you even more. If you give something to somebody they have a debt to you and every human alive has an instictive reaction which makes you respect others for helping you.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Michael Beaver)
It is brave because saying the British were stupid wouldn't produce this reaction. It is because its a sensitive subject that if you say anything negative about somebody of a different race, especially an asian and especially about something to do with their culture, you are branded a racist who discriminates against people because of their race.
There are things I dont like about the British and I can freely discuss what these things are. However I daren't say anything about another culture because people will think I am racist. I dont discriminate on the grounds of race but that doesn't mean I like all aspects of other people's cultures.
i would agree, PM me and ill give u rep 2morro
vaginadischarge
Report 15 years ago
Yeah prison looks lovely - you even get an en-suite bog in your bedroom. Why dont you go out and punch a policeman so that you too can sample this luxury?
Lol an en-suite bucket to [email protected] in. Yes 2776 if you think they have got it so good why don't you become a criminal? Why not? Innit

If you treat people badly then they will not suddenly become nice people they will hate you even more. If you give something to somebody they have a debt to you and every human alive has an instictive reaction which makes you respect others for helping you.
Good point.

I'm not taking the side of criminals not at all, its just that we live in a civilised society at the end of the day and it is our job to try to reform most criminals (some really do need to be locked up for life though definitely). 2776 has obviously been reading The Sun too much. The attempts to provide criminals with eductaion etc is based on labelling theory, it is to offer them a route out of their criminality and reform them, rather then push them further into the criminal subculture.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vaginadischarge)
Lol an en-suite bucket to [email protected] in. Yes 2776 if you think they have got it so good why don't you become a criminal? Why not? Innit

Good point.

I'm not taking the side of criminals not at all, its just that we live in a civilised society at the end of the day and it is our job to try to reform most criminals (some really do need to be locked up for life though definitely). 2776 has obviously been reading The Sun too much. The attempts to provide criminals with eductaion etc is based on labelling theory, it is to offer them a route out of their criminality and reform them, rather then push them further into the criminal subculture.
I don't read the "Sun."

I was mainly been scarcastic. And when I become a doctor I will be happy knowing my tax money is going to a good cause.
lala
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyway, I'm glad his show has been taken off the air. I cant stand seeing unemployed losers off council estates argueing the toss first thing in the mourning and think we are better of without it.
Yeah, that tv exposure ought to be given to the far more deserving middle classes right, is that the thinking? Much better not to encourage the proles...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_guy)
Women should always be treated respectfully, just like other men. But criminals? 'Fraid they deserve what they get.
Yes but some 'criminals' are defined that way by the state,
IE
Politcal Activists
Self defense
Religous practice
etc
Do they deserve what they get?
After all, if the French bill comes in then people will be 'criminals' for wearing any religious symbol, be it hard scarves or even a cross on a chain.
J
dazmanultra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Of course he is racist, he is basing his views of Arabs in general on a minority's actions. He is tarring all Arabs/Muslims with the same brush.

What if somebody had come out and said something about black people? Would people be so quick to defend his views then? It seems it's OK/popular to bash Muslims these days.... I'm glad the BBC have done what they have done.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)
Of course he is racist, he is basing his views of Arabs in general on a minority's actions. He is tarring all Arabs/Muslims with the same brush.

What if somebody had come out and said something about black people? Would people be so quick to defend his views then? It seems it's OK/popular to bash Muslims these days.... I'm glad the BBC have done what they have done.
In a statement, Mr Kilroy-Silk said: "I greatly regret the offence which has been caused by the article published in last weekend's Sunday Express.

It has obviously caused great distress and offence and I can only reiterate that I very deeply regret that

Robert Kilroy-Silk
"The article contains a couple of obvious factual errors which I also regret."

Mr Kilroy-Silk said the article had not prompted such an outcry the first time it was published, adding it was "not what I would have said today".

"It was originally written as a response to the views of opponents to the war in Iraq that Arab States 'loathe' the West and my piece referred to 'Arab States' rather than 'Arabs'," he said.

"Out of that context, it has obviously caused great distress and offence and I can only reiterate that I very deeply regret that."

'Ignorance'

BBC media correspondent Nick Higham said the Sunday Express had accused the BBC of overreacting and gagging free speech.

The Sunday Express is quoted in Saturday's Daily Express as saying: "The article was not racist. It was legalled by lawyers and there is absolutely no case to answer."

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) described the piece written by the discussion show host in last week's Sunday Express as a "gratuitous anti-Arab rant".

Mr Kilroy-Silk's article included comments saying the toppling of despotic regimes in the Middle East should be a war aim, and questioned the contribution of the Arab nations to world welfare and civilisation.

He said Arabs "murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September" and then "danced in the streets" to celebrate.

I certainly think he's entitled to his opinions

Perry de Havilland
Libertarian Alliance

The MCB secretary general Iqbal Sacranie praised the BBC for "taking the matter seriously".

Earlier, he wrote in a letter to BBC One controller Lorraine Heggessey that Mr Kilroy-Silk had failed to distinguish between the terrorists behind the 11 September attacks and 200 million "ordinary Arab peoples".

Mr Sacranie condemned the "bigoted and ill-informed ideas" in the piece, which he said was "ignorant, extremely derogatory and indisputably racist".

The Commission for Racial Equality (CRE) reported the matter to the police.

CRE chairman Trevor Phillips commended the BBC for taking swift action on the matter.

He said: "It is unbelievable. It's not just what he says, but the way he says it, which is completely offensive, and the level of ignorance he shows."

TV host defended

But Perry de Havilland of the Libertarian Alliance defended the television host's right to free speech.

He told BBC News: "Blackening everyone in an entire civilisation is intemperate, to put it mildly.

"But I certainly think he's entitled to his opinions and I don't see why he's been whipped from pillar to post for it."

He said anti-American views expressed by newspaper columnists did not prompt as much uproar.

BBC Breakfast will continue for an extra half hour on BBC One, to 0930 GMT, while Kilroy is off air.

Mr Kilroy-Silk owns the company that makes the programme
Michael Beaver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
Yeah, that tv exposure ought to be given to the far more deserving middle classes right, is that the thinking? Much better not to encourage the proles...
Thats not what I was thinking. Maybe thats what you want but not me.

What I dont like is a debating program about petty unimportant subjects with unintelligent speakers who are angry and cannot calmly discuss something and listen to other's views. I am not saying people on council estates are unintelligent but I am saying the ones on Kilroy aren't very good at debating things and the program is consequently of limited appeal. In fact most of the times I have seen that program people end up becoming agressive and angry, maybe due to their frustration in not being able to get their point accross. Whatever, I think its cheap and nasty like the guests' shell suits.
rednirt
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vaginadischarge)
The attempts to provide criminals with eductaion etc is based on labelling theory, it is to offer them a route out of their criminality and reform them, rather then push them further into the criminal subculture.
I couldn't agree more.

Prison was originally merely a place people were sent to await their executions/deaths in. The americans use the word penetentiary more because of the orginal concept of jail, that being you "repent" for your sins. We now operate on a more liberal, and I would say educated view that you treat the causes not necessarily just the crime.

You send people to prison now to get better. If you lock them up in a cell with nothing at all when they get out they'll be madder and have less respect for the state that was trying the stop them. Being "nice" to prisoners does mak logical sense, but most people don't see it.
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Yes but some 'criminals' are defined that way by the state,
IE
Politcal Activists
Self defense
Religous practice
etc
Do they deserve what they get?
After all, if the French bill comes in then people will be 'criminals' for wearing any religious symbol, be it hard scarves or even a cross on a chain.
J
thats a really good point.......bringing me to the question of how far teh french are willing to go!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
hha
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by dazmanultra)

i would have defended someone who bashed anyone/any class "I may not agree with what you ahve to say, but i will defend it to the death" Voltaire. That is why i think that our restrictive free speech laws are wrong. If you can't say what you believe you are under totalitarian control and if you are then god help us.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tina)
thats a really good point.......bringing me to the question of how far teh french are willing to go!
do you know anything about the French proposals or indeed the French constitution?
OXBRIDGE KILLER
Report 15 years ago
No he shouldn't, Kilroy was just speaking what he thought, he was being honest. He didn't say anything wrong because in this country we have freedom of speech, and besides he didn't say anything wrong anyway. How come Abu Hamza can openly preach hate for the west and no one bats an eyelid, yet Kilroy can't express his opinion? Why is it different? So no he shoudn't.
OXBRIDGE KILLER
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lala)
No dear it isnt, I live on a council estate.
Which is why I think you ought to be more careful in what you say there- anyone would think you'd meant that you didnt like the programme because it features people from council estates. Now I don't see where participants live as relevant, but evidently you do or why would you have mentioned it?

Exactly. He is trying to tar everyone with the same brush, it is quite offensive to say all people on coucil estates are common, shel-suit wearing nobdys thats what hes trying to say. I know what he means about some of the guests on Kilroy, they are like that, but where people live has nothing to do with it. I don't live in a council house but alot of the houses where I live are council propertys and the area where I live is a bit rough and so-called 'undesirable'. However, I do not sit around on my arse in a shell-suit watching Kilroy and many people in my area don't fit your offensive stereotype either. Its like saying all arabs are western haters and islamic terrorist supporters ... erm yes.
OXBRIDGE KILLER
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
do you know anything about the French proposals or indeed the French constitution?
Not at all.
SasunD
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
can anyone please give me a link to the whole article so i can read it in full for myslef.

Considering i havn't read the whole thing and have just heard/read bits and bobs, this opinion is subject to change:

anyway, i have seen Kilroy's show more than a couple of times to see that he is insightful and doesn't talk garbage and shiet. He knows what he is talking about. I don't know what he has said so i will talk about that, but i will talk about the theme of his article.

It is a sensetive issue, and yes, nobody wants to really talk about anything in detail as they will be called recists.

I support the 'Idea' of Bin Ladens cause, that he wants to go against America as they have more than often enough stuck their nose where it does not belong, but it did not give hime the right to kill 3,000 majority innocent people in those buildings, killing them wont solve the problem as it made America more mad, and they will get angry again if another suicide attack happens.

But you did see on the TV's footage from Al Jazeera showing lots and lots of people in the streets shouting and waving because they were happy about the bombings, but they didn't care for the inncoent lives that were killed for that to happen.

Saying that all of Muslims are against America is wrong as all are not, but more then 50% 'seem' to be.

anyway, ive lost the plot for a while so ill go and read the article if i can and then come back to this.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SasunD)
Saying that all of Muslims are against America is wrong as all are not, but more then 50% 'seem' to be.
That's a pretty sweeping statement to make... What evidence have you go to back you up? And also, what exactly do you mean by "against"?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads