Do the top universities accept access course? Watch

Mrsniffles
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello everyone.

i'm hoping to apply for a chemical engineering at a top university next year and also as a mature student (24)

my problem is, i do not have the requisite A levels but hoping to start access to higher education this year taking maths and science.

looking at the ucas website, some of the top unis dont even mention acess as part of the qualifications so i'm slightly worried.

anyone here currently at a top uni or graduated from one with an access qualification?
Mrsniffles
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
no worries. i just checked UCL and they do accept Access courses.
imperial just emailed to let me know they do not accept it. oh well, their loss.
James77
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its a shame some Uni's dont, its very unfair as you're doing A level equivalents just the same as some young kid just out of college, not to mention packed in AS and A2 in only 1 year not 2!. Plus being older your more mature and have more life experience on top, - doing access shows them you've really made a postive effort to get somewhere and motivated too... And they say everyone should have equal rights nowadays? The word Biased springs to mind
mousedust
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Some don't mention it but do accept it, so it's always worth checking. I got in to UCL with an access course with no trouble at all, where as Manchester decided they weren't accepting it for my course that year... their loss!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mrsniffles)
Hello everyone.

i'm hoping to apply for a chemical engineering at a top university next year and also as a mature student (24)

my problem is, i do not have the requisite A levels but hoping to start access to higher education this year taking maths and science.

looking at the ucas website, some of the top unis dont even mention acess as part of the qualifications so i'm slightly worried.

anyone here currently at a top uni or graduated from one with an access qualification?
Most universities do not mention Access courses on their websites, however i would say at least 80% of them do. The universites i have come across which do not accept Access courses are the University Of Surrey and City University along with the afore mentioned Manchester and Imperial. .
Inspironie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Most universities do not mention Access courses on their websites, however i would say at least 80% of them do. The universites i have come across which do not accept Access courses are the University Of Surrey and City University along with the afore mentioned Manchester and Imperial. .
Manchester do accept the access course (depends on department). Some friends of mine got in this year with only an access course.
MikeyS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surrey also accept access courses- a friend on my course is going there! I got offers from Durham, Loughborough, Nottingham etc so yes, lots of top Uni's accept the access course.

Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MikeyS)
Surrey also accept access courses- a friend on my course is going there! I got offers from Durham, Loughborough, Nottingham etc so yes, lots of top Uni's accept the access course.
Interesting, i rang Surrey and they said they did'nt a few weeks ago, though that was for Financial Economics.
Steveuk39
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
City university do accept access as I was offered a place there for 2010.

Even Cambridge accept access, sure there are some universities that don't, but far more do accept it than do not.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steveuk39)

Even Cambridge accept access, sure there are some universities that don't, but far more do accept it than do not.
It must just be the course i want to then, because i rang up and asked Surrey and City a few weeks ago and they both said no.
Steveuk39
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It must just be the course i want to then, because i rang up and asked Surrey and City a few weeks ago and they both said no.
I have seen a few times that certain courses are not covered with an access course. But again this varies at different universities.

For example, City accept access for computer science, but I believe UCL does not accept it for CS but does for other courses.

It is worth investigating all the universities that interest you before starting an access course.
Foxylady89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You must be right, it must depend on the course as I am starting a Sociology degree at Surrey in September after completing an access course.

A couple of people who were on my access course wanted to do pharmacy at UEA and they were told they had to start at foundation level AND get mostly merits and distinctions in the access course. I think the science and engineering courses are most likely to be the courses which don't accept access or expect lots of distinctions in it.

xx
William87
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People on my course got standard entry for Kings and UEA for pharmacy so I can't how that's the case.

Maybe there wasn't enough chemistry in your particular one?
Foxylady89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by William87)
People on my course got standard entry for Kings and UEA for pharmacy so I can't how that's the case.

Maybe there wasn't enough chemistry in your particular one?

That is true. There was a chemistry option but it wasn't a science-based course itself. I suppose that's something to consider for access courses, to make sure you're taking the right kind as essentially for these guys it's been a year wasted. They could have gone straight to the foundation level especially as they have A levels just not the sciences.

xx
DoctorCornwallace
Report 8 years ago
For most courses, yes they do.

I finished my access course in June and I'm starting at UCL next month. Other people from my course are attending KCL, and last year someone was accepted into Cambridge. I was also offered a place at Manchester. :cool:
username247300
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steveuk39)

Is the access course the only level 3 qualification you have or do you have A levels or something. 81 credits is A LOT, how many other people got something similar to that in your course?
cdsmith1990
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCAS is the best place to check whether they accept Access to HE, I've just checked and Nottingham accept it for their MEng Mechanical Engineering..

"Appropriate Mathematics and Physics content required"..

Fingers crossed..
wiggles_
Report 8 years ago
I'm about to start a Access to HE course in Business. Ultimately I want to apply for BA Management Studies at Notts. Anyone know if they accept it?
BigV
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wiggles_)
I'm about to start a Access to HE course in Business. Ultimately I want to apply for BA Management Studies at Notts. Anyone know if they accept it?

Yes they do.... you can get the course code off the uni website and then use UCAS to look up the entry requirements. Nottingham say they want 45 credits at level 3 for BA Management studies.

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...n=1049789#ER-D

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/...ifications.php
Vostochniye Skazki
Report 8 years ago
Greetings everyone :woo:

From my experience most universities do accept the Access to HE qualification and if your not sure drop them a quick email or even call them for clarification.

The only obstacles I’ve come across with applications with an Access course is that a couple of universities additionally required a maths GCSE grade B or above as well as the Access course (which has the equivalence of a GCSE grade C maths structured in already). These establishments were, uni of Birmingham, Aston uni and uni of Nottingham and all courses were business and economics.

I’m 28 years of age and have just completed a full time Access course and have successfully secured myself a place to study a MSci (4 year undergraduate masters degree) at the University of Nottingham.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (20)
15.27%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
10.69%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
3.05%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
4.58%
No (87)
66.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed