This discussion is closed.
lil go peep
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
nebody know ne good recommendations for Psychology reading material

as in the non text book type, jus normal books that are on Psychology and are maybe written by psychologists

oh and ne1 got offers for psych at notts yet?

thanx
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lil go peep)

thanx
I have and i'm probably making it my firm offer!! IB 35 points with a 6 in any higher and 4 in English.
mjf
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A book that is quite useful as just a text to dip in and out of if you need to look something up is Psychology:An introductory Text by Nicky Hayes...its quite a big book but very useful.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Notts rejected me so not a good question lol. I would expect unis will send out reading lists with some useful intoductory books on them before the start of the year.
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Vavavoom, 35 IB points, what kind of standard is that? how hard is to achieve?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
Vavavoom, 35 IB points, what kind of standard is that? how hard is to achieve?
Hmmm.......well, I guess it's of medium-high standard: it's not too hard but you need to be on your feet.
gremney
Report 16 years ago
nebody know ne good recommendations for Psychology reading material

as in the non text book type, jus normal books that are on Psychology and are maybe written by psychologists

thanx
one here =)
gotta make it as my firm choice ..
GCE - AL ABB
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No offer from notts but only sent app off last week!

I read a book by george A Miller which was great and is supposed to be a classic.

I also wrote to my first choice uni to ask for ideas whilst subtly saying they would be my first choice (the guide I got from them told me to do this btw!)
.NK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by *Riz*)
I would expect unis will send out reading lists with some useful intoductory books on them before the start of the year.
I'm doing psych at Notts - we didn't get sent any reading lists or anything until we started.

I haven't done A-level psych and I skimmed over an A-level textbook during the holidays before uni...but it didn't really help! Obviously if you're interested in reading around the subject then do, but don't worry about doing it for the uni course until you get there.
lil go peep
NK. how long have u bin studying psych? is it good, wot do u like about it?

oh and thanx guys, congrats to those with offers from notts, i havent heard nething yet so i was jus wondering if they had got around to replying 2 peeps

Riz - sorry was notts gonna b ur first choice? have u got ne other offers, coz u neva no, maybe u will end up sumwhere that u thought u didnt want to go but sumthing great comes out of it and ur entire perspective changes

Peapod - cutting it a bit fine were u? oh yeah wot book by miller was it, do u have a name?
*Riz*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah thanks lil go peep I do have other offers - Warwick will be my first choice. Notts wasn't really my first choice anyway it only became that when I got rejected hehe (they do say that you always want what you can't have!!!!). I've got over it now, my Warwick offer is BBB which is lower than Nott's would have been anyway so let's just hope I get the grades!!!!
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
NK. how long have u bin studying psych? is it good, wot do u like about it?
I've just started my second term of my first year.

The course is really good, a lot of work though (but I guess the same as most uni courses!). The course is a lot more biology based than I was expecting, but most of the research done by the university is biological so the teaching's better on that side

I like the fact that I only have four hours of psychology lectures a week with a three hour practical every two weeks And I like doing subsid modules (straight psychology and pcn students have to do subsids) outside of psychology - I'm doing philosophy and a lot of it ties in well with psychology.

If you want any more specific info, feel free to PM me.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Peapod - cutting it a bit fine were u? oh yeah wot book by miller was it, do u have a name?
It was an unplanned application so yeah I was....
It is callled Psycholgy: The Science of Mental Life.
I got it from Amazon for about £2!
lil go peep
(Original post by Peapod)
It was an unplanned application so yeah I was....
It is callled Psycholgy: The Science of Mental Life.
I got it from Amazon for about £2!
Thanx! got it its good
got sum social psych books too and they are very interesting
lil go peep
Nottingham are taking ages to reply to me! i getting irritated now :mad:

any1 got ne clues y?

i thought it mite be coz they were waiting for every applicant to apply, but they shud have started giving out offers by now and sum people have them...do they send letters to rejected applicants ???

oooh i dont wanna be even more stressed, i already have exam stress!

help ne1?
TommyP
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't worry, Nottingham haven't replied to me yet either... it's my first choice as well! Form's been in about 2 months. Also Bristol (2nd choice) haven't replied yet. Hopefully they will in the next week or two.
Peapod
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No replies for me yet eitherand nottinghams included in that.

I reckon in two weeks they'll start coming in (except Durham - 2 months more likely!)
icesnow
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TommyP)
Don't worry, Nottingham haven't replied to me yet either... it's my first choice as well! Form's been in about 2 months. Also Bristol (2nd choice) haven't replied yet. Hopefully they will in the next week or two.
could u tell me some reasons why most of you like to go to notts? Is it the best uni for psychology?
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by icesnow)
could u tell me some reasons why most of you like to go to notts? Is it the best uni for psychology?
For this year, in the Times league tables, yes
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (222)
60.99%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.4%
No- I want it (101)
27.75%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.87%

Watched Threads