Equality of opportunity – unless you're one of the middle classes Watch

This discussion is closed.
JSM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
In that case, why should I pay for millions of state school students to be educated, when I don't use the system myself? We've already established that in a developed country, the core education system should be expanded in order to include Universities.
no chance, all education should be paid for, its a service that you benefit from and if you dont want to pay, then dont go. I dont htink that america is radical enough. Go capitalism
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
The duty is "VAT" as such..... And seen as alcohol and cigarettes cause illness and as such put an extra strain on the NHS (and the police force) it's only natural that they would taxed in the form of VAT.
not necessarily, in what way would my alcohol and cigarettes place me dependent on the NHS, i would go private, therefore the government is making money off me, not losing money. (cigarettes strain the police force do they). the duty is not VAT though, so i was correct. Anyway i pay VAT on nearly everything, so obviously i pay taxes.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
not necessarily, in what way would my alcohol and cigarettes place me dependent on the NHS, i would go private, therefore the government is making money off me, not losing money. (cigarettes strain the police force do they). the duty is not VAT though, so i was correct. Anyway i pay VAT on nearly everything, so obviously i pay taxes.
The government have no way of knowing whether or not you are going to go private. As alcohol and cigarettes increase the NHS's costs they have to react accordingly and tax these goods.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no chance, all education should be paid for, its a service that you benefit from and if you dont want to pay, then dont go. I dont htink that america is radical enough. Go capitalism
Wow.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Do you not listen?

SOCEITY BENEFITS FROM UNIVERSITY GRADUATES TOO!

a) Doctors
b) Teachers
c) Through the economy
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
Widespread unemployment and intense competition for places so that an elite can go to uni free. I cant see anyone voting for that.
I'm not propsing that only the elite can go free, I'm saying that anyone can go IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH. EE at A Level = not good enough.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The government have no way of knowing whether or not you are going to go private. As alcohol and cigarettes increase the NHS's costs they have to react accordingly and tax these goods.
why dont they have a fat tax or a dangeous sports tax then
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
why dont they have a fat tax or a dangeous sports tax then
VAT can only be levied on goods you buy. People who participate do dangerous sports pay higher insurance premiums which are in turn taxed though.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Do you not listen?

SOCEITY BENEFITS FROM UNIVERSITY GRADUATES TOO!

a) Doctors
b) Teachers
c) Through the economy
a decent world= get rid of income tax and education and health private, so it doesnt make sense
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I'm not propsing that only the elite can go free, I'm saying that anyone can go IF THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH. EE at A Level = not good enough.
but you would get BBBB or something if you went to a ****ty comp or you might have dropped out.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
VAT can only be levied on goods you buy. People who participate do dangerous sports pay higher insurance premiums which are in turn taxed though.
no, if i go cycling, motorcycling, for god's sake rock climbing with my own equipment.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
a decent world= get rid of income tax and education and health private, so it doesnt make sense
What are you talking about?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
"Get rid of income tax"

Oh my word....
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
no, if i go cycling, motorcycling, for god's sake rock climbing with my own equipment.
Motorcyclists pay higher insurance premiums. If you injured yourself while rock climbing with your own equipment you may well be breaking the terms of your insurance and would have to pay to treat your injuries yourself.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
he said society benefits from graduates. Well supply and demand would work in a truly free market society and doctors and teachers (private of course) would be paid according to how well they do and theri degrees will be worth more or less depending on the amount of available teachers/ nurses/ doctors. Also get rid of income tax, therefore people have an incentive to work even more and the economy gets a boost from private spending. not government spending.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Ah dear.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
"Get rid of income tax"

Oh my word....
why, you pay for law and order - through council tax, road tax - roads

all they need is a national defence tax, and sorted.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Motorcyclists pay higher insurance premiums. If you injured yourself while rock climbing with your own equipment you may well be breaking the terms of your insurance and would have to pay to treat your injuries yourself.
cyclists? in central london, i have seen multiple cylists injured or dead on the roads. So insurance premiums go to the government/NHS do they?
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
OK, now JSM was making some good points earlier but I think that "get rid of income tax" is suggesting that he has finally lost the plot.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what about the fat tax levied on foods that make people fat, but that would be a restriction of my liberties. Get rid of it all.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads