Turn on thread page Beta

Equality of opportunity – unless you're one of the middle classes watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    cyclists? in central london, i have seen multiple cylists injured or dead on the roads. So insurance premiums go to the government/NHS do they?
    Not directly but is there not a tax on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    cyclists? in central london, i have seen multiple cylists injured or dead on the roads. So insurance premiums go to the government/NHS do they?
    Not all of them no, the insurance companies have to pax tax on their earnings though.

ReputationRep:
    Ok this thread is going abit off topic, how about we get back to the original issue which was er......???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    OK, now JSM was making some good points earlier but I think that "get rid of income tax" is suggesting that he has finally lost the plot.
    why? Please explain why i need to give 40% of my money to the government? alright, reduce income tax to 10% or so to retain bare bones government for law etc. But 40p in every £ i earn over £30,000 is a bit extortionate. I am thinking of suing the government for operating a monopoly, under tis own legislation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Not all of them no, the insurance companies have to pax tax on their earnings though.
    so tax on earnings, but net earnings also include payouts to the victims, so its less money thna you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    so tax on earnings, but net earnings also include payouts to the victims, so its less money thna you think.
    Thank you for telling me how much money I think insurance companies pay in tax. I don't exactly know why it's relevant but cheers nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    OK, now JSM was making some good points earlier but I think that "get rid of income tax" is suggesting that he has finally lost the plot.
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    I am thinking of suing the government for operating a monopoly, under tis own legislation.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    damn i think i lost another convert, ah well, these make sense too, if you are not too bigoted to instantly dismiss them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    damn i think i lost another convert, ah well, these make sense too, if you are not too bigoted to instantly dismiss them.
    Irony at its ripest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Irony at its ripest.
    in what way am i bigoted, i am open to ideas!

I actually think they should get rid of VAT. It's a regressive tax (poorer people pay a higher proportion of their income than the rich since the rich spend less as a precentage of heir income). If a regressive tax on income was introduced there'd be riots all over the country.

Inheritance tax, stamp duty and national insurance are also incredibly stupid taxes and should be abolished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I actually think they should get rid of VAT. It's a regressive tax (poorer people pay a higher proportion of their income than the rich since the rich spend less as a precentage of heir income). If a regressive tax on income was introduced there'd be riots all over the country.

Inheritance tax, stamp duty and national insurance are also incredibly stupid taxes and should be abolished.
    There are ways around the VAT problem. I like the idea of (they might already do it) charging different rates of VAT on different goods depending on as to how much a "luxury" the particular good is.

ReputationRep:
    In the UK we don't tax on children's clothes or on newspapers*!

* A potential "tax on knowledge"

(Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread already, but can't be bothered to read all the posts )

ReputationRep:
    Oh by the way, after our little "discussion" last night. Was not expecting positive "rep" from you JSM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    well i have not used any of their services, in fact i have paid twice, once by not using my state education, nhs etc. (turned down st olave's). What public services have put me in my position except the hard graft of my parents.
    can i ask why i got neg rep for this particular post? ahh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)

no, income tax should be abolished and council tax and replaced with the poll tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    Oh by the way, after our little "discussion" last night. Was not expecting positive "rep" from you JSM!
    well you were being sensible anyway, why did you think i was studying economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    well you were being sensible anyway, why did you think i was studying economics?
    Well, what do you base your economic theories on then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Well, what do you base your economic theories on then?
    stuff i have read (well i do read a lot about economics) and i have not proposed any economic theories as such here.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.