The Student Room Group

English Language vs. English Literature.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't know where to put it :rolleyes:

I am choosing whether to do either language or literature for AS level and continue to A2. I was wondering what is the difference between the two and what sort of things you do in each of them.

Thanks.
Reply 1
1)Literature = Learning about books. Lots of essays, analysing themes and such.
2)Language = Learning about language. Analysing adverts and such.

I took literature to AS because it's a better essay subject. But it depends what you plan to do at uni as well- Language might be better suited.
Literature more imaginative
Reply 3
Literature is LOADS of reading, memorising quotes etc.
Language is more analysis - why certain words are used etc.
I took both for A2 and found that Language didnt really change in difficulty whereas Literature got a bit harder because it was closed book, needed a bit more dedication.
Reply 4
Mega Nerd
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't know where to put it :rolleyes:

I am choosing whether to do either language or literature for AS level and continue to A2. I was wondering what is the difference between the two and what sort of things you do in each of them.

Thanks.

Generally lit is the more 'respected' A level of the two, I would suggest taking lit :smile:
My preference is literature and I've done it for AS, probably keeping it in September. Anyway for literature AS you will be studying a few novels and poetry, if you do GCSE English Lit it's basically that but harder. Lit looks better with unis as it is the more respected subject. It sounds pretty scary with the whole memorising quotes thing but you get to the point after a while were you will know a lot of the important ones naturally, it's only the less important ones you'll find more of a challenge to remember.
Reply 6
Mega Nerd

Thanks.

Language = analysis of speech and the way people write, grammar, syntax, persuasion, description, culture of speech. In language you can make up your own ideas about what the questions asks you, where in literature you have to stick to the set texts and sometimes your own wider reading. In language you can bring in anything you want within reason.

Literature = analysis of poetry, books, and screen plays. language analysis, motivation, power, tragedy, comparison between poetry, thematic analysis, hidden meanings within text.

English literature is generally the more 'respected' A-level over language if you're aiming for top universities. You could do the 'English language & literature' combined A-level if your school offers it if you can't choose between the two subjects.
Reply 7
I tend to think of English Language as a more scientific version of English Literature, largely based on the fact that a lot of Lang is down to understanding new terminology and using it to analyse pieces of text objectively, whereas in Lit, you're expected to take a more personable view.

There is a bit of a stigma around English Language for some universities, but generally only if the course you are applying for is English Literature. Even then, a good chunk of universities don't seem to mind. Just pick whichever you feel you can get the A in!
Reply 8
why choose English at all. It's literally useless unless you wanna be some kind of boring linguist. there are so many other careers that are much more interesting to peruse instead of boring useless poetry and analyzing a piece of text made 200 years ago
Reply 9
Original post by poojak
why choose English at all. It's literally useless unless you wanna be some kind of boring linguist. there are so many other careers that are much more interesting to peruse instead of boring useless poetry and analyzing a piece of text made 200 years ago

Classy. English studied at A-level is actually pretty useful for law, unless that is now useless too. What constitutes 'boring' is subjective, so people may choose it because they find it interesting. Also, I find that perusing and analysing texts can be a passion and make you more interesting. There is a reason that the classics have continued to stand the test of time. Finally, I think novels like 1984 are brilliantly applicable to modern context and reflect on the nature of our lives.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending