This discussion is closed.
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I have been rejected after being pooled. They didn't give me any reasons for anything that hinders my chance. My college (Downing) is quite oversubscribed for my subject (engineering) I am an international student who cannot be re-interviewed.

Should I reapply next year to a different college? When I visited I fell in love with cambridge (not of its reputation but the environment, people...etc)

I also have an offer from Imperial, I don't quite like there though, and living in London costs a lot.

Here is the e-mail I received, please give me some advices thanks.

Dear Miss xxxx,

Please find copied below the text of a letter which was posted to you yesterday. Dr Millett usually writes to candidates' schools rather than directly to candidates themselves when interview feedback is requested. He will therefore be writing to your referee in due course.

"I write concerning your application to Downing College to read Engineering. I am sorry indeed to have to tell you that the Intercollegiate Pool has now closed without any other College offering you a place. I do realise that, after waiting so patiently, this will be a great disappointment. I would, however, add that the competition for places from the Pool is very fierce indeed.

I would also emphasise that we do not doubt your suitability for your chosen degree course. We ourselves offered to the Pool only those candidates we thought to be strong contenders, well up to the necessary standard for Cambridge, who stood a realistic chance of receiving an offer. Given the number of excellent candidates applying to Cambridge and Downing, and the limited number of places available, it is inevitable that some very able people do not receive the offer of a place.

Please accept my best wishes for success in your chosen field of study.

Yours sincerely,
Dr Paul Millet"
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it's worth it if you really want to go. As long as you know what you want to do in your year off, go for it. And good luck.
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tek)
Yes, it's worth it if you really want to go. As long as you know what you want to do in your year off, go for it. And good luck.
I'm still not sure what I wanna do in my gap year! I don't think I can find a job.
akk713
Rep:
?
I also got an email from them personally addressing me, saying that I have a lot of potential but my IGCSE hinders my chance

Do I need to put my IGCSE down next time I apply?
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by akk713)
I also got an email from them personally addressing me, saying that I have a lot of potential but my IGCSE hinders my chance

yes.

although they will take much less importance next time round as u will have ur A-Levels.
starry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a pity you're an international student and not able to be there for interviews. Where are you from?

And what other choices have you got? I know alot of people who are happy with their other choices and have gone on to be happy in their universities.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

How were your IGCSE?

Mine were terrible (worst I've seen) and I also got rejected. Maybe it was because of them!
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think it's a good idea if you think you're capable enough (and they definitely think you're capable enough) and you're willing to take a worthwhile gap year. Bear in mind there are no guarantees though and you could find yourself in the exact same position next year (but with an extra year's work of experience under your belt). I would wait and see what your feedback says and then make your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by starry)
How were your IGCSE?

Mine were terrible (worst I've seen) and I also got rejected. Maybe it was because of them!
cant u retake a few gcse's if they concern u so much?

obviously they wud b well easy after doing AS levels, so if u r worried bout them, then why not retake a few, tidy it up.

just a thought.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lucy)
I think it's a good idea if you think you're capable enough (and they definitely think you're capable enough) and you're willing to take a worthwhile gap year. Bear in mind there are no guarantees though and you could find yourself in the exact same position next year (but with an extra year's work of experience under your belt). I would wait and see what your feedback says and then make your decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
yes i agree.

if you want to achieve something, then try to achieve it. u will be only letting urself down.

btw: please cud u reply to my PM's lucy, thanks.
akk713
Rep:
?
Than you for everyone's advices

Here's my IGCSE results 1A*, 4A, 3B and 1D

My other choices for chemical engineering: Imperial College, UMIST, UCL, Loughborough, Leeds

Actually I skipped a grade at school so I am younger than everyone else.

I think it'll be trivial to retake GCSE if I have A-level results

Also, what should I do in this Gap Year? Does it have to be something that relates to my subject (engineering)? Anyone can give me some examples?

Thanks so much!! I would post the interviews feedback here as soon as I get them
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

My other choices for chemical engineering: Imperial College, UMIST, UCL, Loughborough, Leeds
Also, what should I do in this Gap Year? Does it have to be something that relates to my subject (engineering)? Anyone can give me some examples?
Thanks so much!! I would post the interviews feedback here as soon as I get them

Hey, i think you should definitely give it another go, if you are unable at the moment to distinguish another university that you go to. You may not get in, but perhaps this time take care with your other choices. If you werent too fond of Imperial, perhaps apply somewhere more similar to Cambridge ie. Durham. Don't worry about your IGCSEs, my GCSEs were not as good as yours, and was offered a place at Oxford.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Can you get work experience with an engineering company? A lot of people seem to take gap years and do this, and it seems to be liked by universities.
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Can you get work experience with an engineering company? A lot of people seem to take gap years and do this, and it seems to be liked by universities.
Where can I find such an opportunity? I am in Hong Kong right now and I don't think any engineering firms will employ someone like me!
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
Hey, i think you should definitely give it another go, if you are unable at the moment to distinguish another university that you go to. You may not get in, but perhaps this time take care with your other choices. If you werent too fond of Imperial, perhaps apply somewhere more similar to Cambridge ie. Durham. Don't worry about your IGCSEs, my GCSEs were not as good as yours, and was offered a place at Oxford.
I don't think Durham offers my subject. What is your GCSE?

I think Oxford weighs GCSE less than cambridge does? Friends of mine who got "thick" GCSE grades and got into Oxbridge all went to Oxford!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For engineering Cambridge LOVES people doing gap years in relevant work - if you were on a gap year doing something interesting you would be in a much stronger position than you are now - in fact the fact that you applied for direct entry *may* have hindered you slightly.
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sazzle)
For engineering Cambridge LOVES people doing gap years in relevant work - if you were on a gap year doing something interesting you would be in a much stronger position than you are now - in fact the fact that you applied for direct entry *may* have hindered you slightly.
Something interesting like what?? I am worried that I can't find interesting stuff to do and waste that year...

What about travelling? Or where can I find relevant engineering work experience?
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Something interesting like what?? I am worried that I can't find interesting stuff to do and waste that year...

What about travelling? Or where can I find relevant engineering work experience?

What engineering firms are there in Hong Kong? It might be worth ringing them to see if they'll take a work experience student, you never know. There are 'Year in Industry' schemes in the UK too - I don't know if there's anything like that in Hong Kong...
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
What engineering firms are there in Hong Kong? It might be worth ringing them to see if they'll take a work experience student, you never know. There are 'Year in Industry' schemes in the UK too - I don't know if there's anything like that in Hong Kong...
Thanks I'll try. Do you think firms overseas will take such a student? I want to try living in another country.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks I'll try. Do you think firms overseas will take such a student? I want to try living in another country.

Can't see why not. I'll ask some of my engineer friends what they did - I'll see em tomorrow. Promise to try and remember!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads