This discussion is closed.
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Can't see why not. I'll ask some of my engineer friends what they did - I'll see em tomorrow. Promise to try and remember!
Thanks it's very nice of you!!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm doing an engineering placement at the mo, I just wrote to all the engineers in the phone book in the city I wanted to work in - company's ARE more reluctant to take students who haven't even started their course but some will.

Travelling is good too - but just remember about interviews etc.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by akk713)
Thanks it's very nice of you!!
there's a nationwide scheme in UK called Year in Industry, which devotes their time placing students doing engineering related courses with various companies on Gap Years - they cover almost the entire range of companies, from Sharp to British Aerospace to Rolls Royce etc...

just search for Year in Industry and apply to them about a gap year..... i think the website is this .........
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sazzle)
I'm doing an engineering placement at the mo, I just wrote to all the engineers in the phone book in the city I wanted to work in - company's ARE more reluctant to take students who haven't even started their course but some will.

Travelling is good too - but just remember about interviews etc.
That's cool.. thanks perhaps I will do that. At what time of the year do you think is the best time? Is writing it in June this year too late because I have exams coming up and I just want uni application to be over.

Yes of course I know interviews are the most important. Actually I think I impressed them in my interviews but it was my grades and lack of experiences, maybe I'm wrong I don't know have to wait for interview feedback!

Will they give you advices on re-applying in the interviews feedback??
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by 4Ed)
there's a nationwide scheme in UK called Year in Industry, which devotes their time placing students doing engineering related courses with various companies on Gap Years - they cover almost the entire range of companies, from Sharp to British Aerospace to Rolls Royce etc...

just search for Year in Industry and apply to them about a gap year..... i think the website is this .........
Thanks it's helpful!!
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks it's helpful!!
no probs......... now is the perfect time to be applying as well.... they're deadline for the next year is sumtime in feb i think
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I meant about the timings of interviews - ie. best not to be in Outer Mongolia in December.

I wrote my letters in October last year and had my placement sorted by December, I think the Summer would be too late but you may be lucky.
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sazzle)
I meant about the timings of interviews - ie. best not to be in Outer Mongolia in December.

I wrote my letters in October last year and had my placement sorted by December, I think the Summer would be too late but you may be lucky.
Oh right... but as long as I'm in the UK they would let me take a few days off to cambridge?
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh right... but as long as I'm in the UK they would let me take a few days off to cambridge?
Yeah that would be fine, that was in reference to the travelling.
akk713
Rep:
?
Now I have made a decision. If I have good grades for my IB (equivalent to A-levels) I will take a gap year and reapply, if I don't, I'll just go for Imperial.

One thing that worries me is still my GCSE grades... if I have the actual grades are they gonna be weighed much more than the predicted ones??
tomek J.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Now I have made a decision. If I have good grades for my IB (equivalent to A-levels) I will take a gap year and reapply, if I don't, I'll just go for Imperial.

One thing that worries me is still my GCSE grades... if I have the actual grades are they gonna be weighed much more than the predicted ones??
if you need any IB help..just contact me. I was also rejected from cam last year and reapplied after I got my IB results. And..I got in this year! Don't hesitate to ask me if you have some questions about EE, CAS, Exams, Courseworks, Orals, and all that...good luck.
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have been rejected after being pooled. They didn't give me any reasons for anything that hinders my chance. My college (Downing) is quite oversubscribed for my subject (engineering) I am an international student who cannot be re-interviewed.

Should I reapply next year to a different college? When I visited I fell in love with cambridge (not of its reputation but the environment, people...etc)

I also have an offer from Imperial, I don't quite like there though, and living in London costs a lot.

Here is the e-mail I received, please give me some advices thanks.

Dear Miss xxxx,

Please find copied below the text of a letter which was posted to you yesterday. Dr Millett usually writes to candidates' schools rather than directly to candidates themselves when interview feedback is requested. He will therefore be writing to your referee in due course.

"I write concerning your application to Downing College to read Engineering. I am sorry indeed to have to tell you that the Intercollegiate Pool has now closed without any other College offering you a place. I do realise that, after waiting so patiently, this will be a great disappointment. I would, however, add that the competition for places from the Pool is very fierce indeed.

I would also emphasise that we do not doubt your suitability for your chosen degree course. We ourselves offered to the Pool only those candidates we thought to be strong contenders, well up to the necessary standard for Cambridge, who stood a realistic chance of receiving an offer. Given the number of excellent candidates applying to Cambridge and Downing, and the limited number of places available, it is inevitable that some very able people do not receive the offer of a place.

Please accept my best wishes for success in your chosen field of study.

Yours sincerely,
Dr Paul Millet"
Hmm...something to consider:

As you may be aware there is considerable debate at the mone t about the proposed introduction of 'top up fees' from 2006. The implications of that may well be that many students who may previously have consiederd taking a gap year next year and applying for 2006 may, instead, apply next year to avoid paying top-up fees of a proposed £3000 per year. It looks as though Oxbridge may be facing many many more applicants next year as prospective students seek to avoid 2006 entry.

I am awaiting a pool response and would certainly have considered reapplying next year - but now I'm wondering if it's worth it.
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by Musicwoman)
Hmm...something to consider:

As you may be aware there is considerable debate at the mone t about the proposed introduction of 'top up fees' from 2006. The implications of that may well be that many students who may previously have consiederd taking a gap year next year and applying for 2006 may, instead, apply next year to avoid paying top-up fees of a proposed £3000 per year. It looks as though Oxbridge may be facing many many more applicants next year as prospective students seek to avoid 2006 entry.

I am awaiting a pool response and would certainly have considered reapplying next year - but now I'm wondering if it's worth it.
So you mean it's much more competitive than this year.... I am already wasting a year so I don't really want to take two gap years...

Do you think it helps if we write to them and ask?
neildm
Report 16 years ago
Imperial college is a FANTASTIC place to do engineering! Living in London will really gear you up for a working life. (IMHO) About taking a gap year, I'm on my Year in Industry (tm) right now, and I suggest you think very very carefully about whether you really want to do this or not. While it will prepare you well for your future, it cannot be challenging - thats not just my opinion. If you're used to working long hours at say, a supermarket or something then it wouldn't be bad at all, but I would think about it long and hard before you apply for it. (bonus points: it will look great on your cv + chances of sponsorship and perhaps a job later on) (minus points: lack of mental stimulation, in most cases no chance to put a-level knowledge into use, an office job more or less)
akk713
Rep:
?
(Original post by neildm)
Imperial college is a FANTASTIC place to do engineering! Living in London will really gear you up for a working life. (IMHO) About taking a gap year, I'm on my Year in Industry (tm) right now, and I suggest you think very very carefully about whether you really want to do this or not. While it will prepare you well for your future, it cannot be challenging - thats not just my opinion. If you're used to working long hours at say, a supermarket or something then it wouldn't be bad at all, but I would think about it long and hard before you apply for it. (bonus points: it will look great on your cv + chances of sponsorship and perhaps a job later on) (minus points: lack of mental stimulation, in most cases no chance to put a-level knowledge into use, an office job more or less)
I thought they offer training sessions? One advantage I am apply for direct entry is that I have my knowledge cooking on gas so when they throw me questions I am used to that thinking. But I still get pooled... therefore I'm now asking everyone's advices.
neildm
Report 16 years ago
Yes, they do offer training sessions (the Year in Industry). Previously it was 3 separate weeks in the year in place in Wales, accomodation and all that taken care of, but now its just 4 days in the whole year either in Sheffield or in Ferrybridge and entirely to do with management skills. P.S.: I haven't read the entire thread and don't know whether you're international, but international students can't apply for the Year in Industry.
akk713
Rep:
?
Yes, they do offer training sessions (the Year in Industry). Previously it was 3 separate weeks in the year in place in Wales, accomodation and all that taken care of, but now its just 4 days in the whole year either in Sheffield or in Ferrybridge and entirely to do with management skills. P.S.: I haven't read the entire thread and don't know whether you're international, but international students can't apply for the Year in Industry.
I have an international student... but I have a British passport, I am not English but I am a permanent citizen in England. can I still apply?
neildm
Report 16 years ago
I have an international student... but I have a British passport, I am not English but I am a permanent citizen in England. can I still apply?
Well, if you have a British passport, its A-OK!! You can definitely apply! My advice to you is, when you're applying, be VERY VERY specific about what kind of job you want. If you want research, say, I want research - perhaps even say what kind of research i.e. electronics, nuclear, mech etc. If you see a company you like, PUSH FOR IT! (eg. rolls royce etc.) Be passive and you'll end up with a job that may not necessarily excite you.
akk713
Rep:
?
Well, if you have a British passport, its A-OK!! You can definitely apply! My advice to you is, when you're applying, be VERY VERY specific about what kind of job you want. If you want research, say, I want research - perhaps even say what kind of research i.e. electronics, nuclear, mech etc. If you see a company you like, PUSH FOR IT! (eg. rolls royce etc.) Be passive and you'll end up with a job that may not necessarily excite you.
hey neildm thanks for your advice... can I PM you and ask for more information?

Do you think research will let me learn more? I want to have a company I want but when what grades do they look for??

I also e-mailed them and asked they said companies expected to interview me, could they do that on the phone?
neildm
Report 16 years ago
hey neildm thanks for your advice... can I PM you and ask for more information?

Do you think research will let me learn more? I want to have a company I want but when what grades do they look for??

I also e-mailed them and asked they said companies expected to interview me, could they do that on the phone?
Does PM mean personal message? And does one have to ask permission before one can PM someone?? If so, I may have unknowingly offended a few people..

I think research will definitely let you learn more, see that it isn't market research or anything though. About grades, it isn't as competitive as I thought. I got 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and a B in Gen Studs, boo-hoo. But the two other students in my company got ABC and ABB at A-level. Before you attend an interview try and find out exactly what the job description is, again, PUSH for the kind of job you want. Ya, you may PM me and ask for more info.
I wouldn't suggest telephone interviews though. Any reason?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (530)
66.75%
No (264)
33.25%

Watched Threads