This discussion is closed.
joyabbott
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But surely as a result, medicine will become even more elitist - 5 or 6 years, on a course where expenses are higher than on other courses hardly leads to 'widening access'. Medical applicants on the whole are from 'better off' families, despite attempts to encourage more from poorer backgrounds.

You're right about the 'definition' of MM subjects - it's an ongoing debate. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but the range of degrees on offer is becoming rather 'silly', as are the numbers of "universities"... these courses don't improve someone's job prospects greatly at all, and the more people taking them, the less point having it in the first place.

As for poorer people becoming lawyers... that may be a good thing ... again, another career currently dominated by the higher classes.
smaug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by joyabbott)
But surely as a result, medicine will become even more elitist - 5 or 6 years, on a course where expenses are higher than on other courses hardly leads to 'widening access'. Medical applicants on the whole are from 'better off' families, despite attempts to encourage more from poorer backgrounds..
Absolutely . Im not supporting 'variable top up fees' . The amount of debt which ppl already incur from a medical course is quite frightening! Im just explaining why the bursaries are given for nursing but not medicine (Im not saying medics shouldnt get one).

The issue of university funding is very difficult. Someone earlier mentioned that europe doesnt have this problem but this is bcause they have simply allowed their universities to remain underfunded in most cases. I read in the guardian some time ago that many european universities that used to be world class (places like Heidelberg) just arent up there anymore, and everyone knows undergraduate teaching is pretty much rock bottom in many european universities. I dont know if there is an answer, but I think the government should be considering all the alternatives very carefully because the current proposals can only make access worse and put a terrible debt on many people from families on average incomes .
Some people have commented that its bad 4 the upper class students too. I think not! Their parents will just continue to cover their expenses as they normally do now!
billysielu
Report 16 years ago
Fair is not necessarily the problem.

The question i'm asking myself is... is it worth it ?

-Mike from Hull
longtin
Report 16 years ago
With all the talk going on about international student etc, i just thought i'd chip in (having an overseas students' perspective) just to let you know that "most of us" come from privileged backgrounds and we can certainly afford £10K or more a year plus living expenses...yes and the living expenses are in excess of 6K in some instances.

I personally find all this topup fees mumbo jumbo extremely amusing. There'd probably be less than 10% of the current student population at universities if home students had to pay 10K.

I dont want to read anyone's comments referring to international students having to pay these ridiculous amounts as "poor souls". We pay because we made a choice. Ofcourse we think the amount very extortionist. The government does not even provide scholarships for overseas undergrad students as in the U.S. I still can't work out why we keep flooding this country with our money
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads