This discussion is closed.
lionel789
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Has anyone got the work we are supposed to be doing for UCL yet

Ive bought this Constitional and Admin Law book but Im stuck on this question about a "matchless" constitution!

Anyone can help?!

The question is what two meanings might "matchless" have when taken in the phrase "matchless constitution" which people used to use to criticise the British Constitution
Justice (OCD85)
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
From the top of my head I would say that what the word "matchless" means in the phrase "matchless constitution" is that the British Constitution is unique in the world, in that it cannot be found in a single codified document (unlike the American constitution and others) and is instead taken from the many conventions, traditions etc. of British politics. What this means in practice is that the British Constitution can easily be changed (theoretically allowing politicians to acquire tyrannic and despotic powers) unlike the American constitution, for example, which needs the ratification of all 51 states before change could take place.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I thought that was one of the easiest questions... so maybe you can help me with another question to return the favour :p:

Matchless -
1. It cannot be compared be compared to other constitutions because it is different.
2. It is superior to any other constitution.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lionel789)
Has anyone got the work we are supposed to be doing for UCL yet

Ive bought this Constitional and Admin Law book but Im stuck on this question about a "matchless" constitution!

Anyone can help?!

The question is what two meanings might "matchless" have when taken in the phrase "matchless constitution" which people used to use to criticise the British Constitution
I'm not sure you understood it quite correctly - I think Jeremy Bentham criticised people who believed we have a 'matchless' constitution.
Wings_cp
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I havent done this work yet.. yawn zzZZzzZZzz
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Phew I thought most people would've done it the minute they got it :p:
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Wouldn't it connote the same thing as a 'peerless' constitution; or describing it as 'without compare'? Ostensibly it means 'superior'; but it can also be taken more pejoratively.

Transposition, to the more familiar, can make things easier; although that question already seems pretty straightforward, in any case.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
*gulp*

It would seem most UCL lawyers entering this year (and indeed a few in their second and third years (obviously not at the same time! :p: ) ) are a trifle lazy.

How did UCL get such a great reputation? :p: <inserts a few more smilies for effect>
Last edited by RK; 1 year ago
UCL_Law
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We might be at UCL reading Law, but we're still students at the end of the day!
Phonicsdude
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by UCL_Law)
We might be at UCL reading Law, but we're still students at the end of the day!
In the morning and afternoon we are super nerds, but as soon as night falls....*

In terms of support (academic and other) and social activities, how self-sufficient is the law faculty? I get the impression that BeNtham house is a uni within a uni...

allergic reaction*
UCL_Law
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well there isn't a library in Bentham, nor any real reading rooms. People do tend to hang out in the bowling alley, if say you've an hour to kill between a lecture and tute. But equally, a lot of people head for coffee in the Union. I dunno, I suppose we are pretty self sufficient, but it's nice to have our own building.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What's the bowling alley :eek: Rings a bell, actually... I hung out in the little cafe place whenever I went up to Bentham House.
lionel789
no one will believe me on this but I honestly (after posting this thread) came up with the answer as "matchless" meaning the two meanings - crap and good - depending on what side of the arguement you came from - and your view point on the British constitution - I am glad I managed to actually get it right for once!- usually with these questions I end up getting it completely wrong!

anyway thanks everyone - including onearmedbandit and if anyone else needs help on anything gimme a shout -though based on the above I may have lost some credibility on how capable I am!
lol
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I can field that one - yes it does Don't know how much they play though.

You gonna be with me to take on the 2nd & 3rd years in a few weeks then? What position do you play?
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Pompey, mate, Pompey (see 'location' ). Oh Pompey is Portsmouth in case anyone didn't realise...

I'm a striker I guess I can play midfield but really centre forward is what I've always been. I'm far from match fitness too... despite my best efforts It hsn't helped that the football goals at my local park STILL haven't been put back up, either!! It's a lot easier to find people to play with when there are goals.
UCL_Law
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, the position of Sports rep on the Committee was only created last year. There have been a few footie matches played, but if you're at all interested in it then you should really join the College club.
lionel789
you can create your own club otherwise! - though im useless at football
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Can someone help me with this one Who is L J Kovats Esq Barrister?
lionel789
I havent even started that bit yet!
lawgrad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
Can someone help me with this one Who is L J Kovats Esq Barrister?
If that is the name at the end of a report of a case, it is probably the name of the person who wrote the report. He is usually a qualified barrister.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed