This discussion is closed.
CZUCK
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I've been lucky enough to receive an open offer for Oxford. Any ideas how the college is decided in August? do they reassess my application by the grades I get, and if so is it inadvisable to drop my 4th subject which isn't part of my AAA offer? :confused: thanks...
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As far as I am aware, provided you get the grades they asked for, you are guaranteed a place, but they do not allocate you a a college until results time. Colleges will then know if they have spaces if any of their original candidates fail to meet their requirements
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Never heard of one :| care to explain it?
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Woah that's so weird
CZUCK
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Well, i think it means..

the college to which i applied was full for my subject, cos i was the 9th best and there were only 8 places or something, but the university wants me, so if i get 3 AAAs my letter says the place is guaranteed but the college will be decided when A levels are published. Im wondering wether to drop a subject to ensure i get AAA or wether to keep it up incase they re-assess me when choosing my college and the more qualified i am the better college it'll be...or is it just a random process where the shove me where ever the space is?!
starry
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CZUCK)
Well, i think it means..

the college to which i applied was full for my subject, cos i was the 9th best and there were only 8 places or something, but the university wants me, so if i get 3 AAAs my letter says the place is guaranteed but the college will be decided when A levels are published. Im wondering wether to drop a subject to ensure i get AAA or wether to keep it up incase they re-assess me when choosing my college and the more qualified i am the better college it'll be...or is it just a random process where the shove me where ever the space is?!
Congrats on this! But its awfully scaring not knowing where you'll be at before the results. Haha it's like 'hi-class' clearing!!! But its great.
Lucy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CZUCK)
Well, i think it means..

I think they just shove you wherever they can find a place, I don't think they bother having extra discussion about it because they already know you're good enough so they just randomly assign you. Not positive though, but congrats !
redcat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CZUCK)
Well, i think it means..

Make sure the offer isn't contingent on you actually taking the four subjects you said you were going to do when they made you the offer - Cos even if they're only asking for AAA, it might be they still expect you to be taking those four subjects. I think it says on the ucas form that if you drop subjects, you have to tell them. So Oxford would find out.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Since not many people (from what I know anyway) have heard of Open offers at Oxford, here's an excerpt from the web site:

'A few candidates are made Pool (or open) offers: firm places at Oxford, but with the college not yet specified. Don't be concerned by this. It is part of the mechanism by which Oxford tries to make sure that the maximum number of promising students are given a chance to study here. You will be allocated a college after the A-Level results come out in August.'

Czuck, the confirmation letters from Oxford and UCAS should state the specific A-levels you need. I think you need the 4th A-level, and should do it regardless of your offer (well done btw). If you do get the required grades then you definitely have a place. Some people won't get the required grades, so some colleges will have some spaces to fill. This is how your college shall be determined.
mark_pb
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CZUCK)
Well, i think it means..

For courses like chemistry up to 10% are done by open places and I think for others sciences too. I've always assumed it is a case of allocating people to places once it's clear where there is room after results. Not sure if there is any pecking order by results.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There is a pecking order in terms of results. My next door neighbour got an open offer of AAA inc biology and psychology for biological sciences last year. She got AAA but only a B in psychology so she was refused by BNC (her original college) even though someone else missed their grades by more. However, she was put in a pool to see if any other colleges had spare places and would consider accepting her and Hilda's stepped in. Often people with open offers are accepted in the summer by their original college anyway.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CZUCK)
I've been lucky enough to receive an open offer for Oxford. Any ideas how the college is decided in August? do they reassess my application by the grades I get, and if so is it inadvisable to drop my 4th subject which isn't part of my AAA offer? :confused: thanks...
My advice would be to call and ask. someone else got a AAA offer and asked if they could drop the other A level and they were told yes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (218)
68.13%
No (102)
31.88%

Watched Threads