The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Anybody else looking forward to this? I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan so this better not disappoint.

Brought to you by Steven Moffat (writer from Doctor Who). Sherlock Holmes info

Episode 1: 25 July 2010 (iPlayer link)
Episode 2: 1 August 2010
Episode 3: 8 August 2010

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can't wait. If it's good (which I have no doubt it will be) I hope it will become a recurring thing :smile: Either 3 a year, or a longer series.
Reply 2
I hadn't even seen this advertised! I shall be looking forward to it now though :awesome:
So far so good. Is no one else watching?!
Consilio Et Animis

I'll be watching it on iPlayer. :ninja:
omfg I forgot :nooo:
Consilio Et Animis

I like :yes: It's working really well with the updated setting, IMO. :smile:
Reply 7
I hope he finds out if he picked the right pill :smile:
Consilio Et Animis

Illusionary
I like :yes: It's working really well with the updated setting, IMO. :smile:

BenFarren
I hope he finds out if he picked the right pill :smile:

What would you guys give it out of ten?
vander Beth
omfg I forgot :nooo:

It's on iPlayer now (and in HD). :h:
Reply 10
This was very good and very watchable television. Moving it into the modern day didn't feel strained or forced. The plot was intelligent and it was well written with believable dialogue, something that's needed when you are talking about a super genius such as Sherlock Holmes.

Speaking of Holmes. Benedict Cumberbatch (or whatever) was a very well acted and interesting Holmes, despite a silly name. He worked well, showed the good mix of warmth and frigidness that is Sherlock Holmes. Touched upon his sexuality in a subtle way (well not VERY subtle). He could be a very capable Sherlock, an eccentric man, who for a genius, can be an absolute idiot at times.

Martin Freeman was excellent, as I think he always is, as Watson. Being a device for exposition, the new man on the block, was quickly done and over with, and whilst his moving in with Holmes was reasonably close to lightspeed, he did his job with a superb bit at the end. You can see the relationship between the two developing and his background in Afghanistan is intriguing. I'm more interested in Watson than Holmes, and that's hard to do, but perhaps is the right thing to do. Who can relate to Holmes?

They went down the

Spoiler

route at the end, which is a bit annoying, but not exactly avoidable. The other villain of the episode was well thought out and seemed to be a tolerable rival to Holmes. I'm glad we didn't get an answer at the end either. The more overseeing villain was good and I'm wondering where it will go, as he doesn't exactly seem to be a bad person. Not a typical one anyway.

This did feel a bit like Doctor Who. Obviously with the same writers as Doctor Who and a similar main character, that cannot be helped. The Doctor and Sherlock Holmes are INCREDIBLY similar characters. Not a lot can be done, but this show was a lot more grounded (in some ways), but suspension of reality is needed. I could see Cumberbatch as the Doctor to be honest. Would he be better than matt Smith? Don't care.

9/10 for the episode. Looking forward to the rest of it. Not sure if I prefer this to the recent movie, but the movie has Robert Downey Jr, who can do no wrong. Jude Law must be replaced with Martin Freeman.
Ape Gone Insane

A nine, I'd say - but then, like you I'm a fan of most things Sherlock Holmes so am probably biased!

Edit: Colonel Brusnahan has summed it up perfectly :yes:
Reply 12
I wouldn't call several short paragraphs "summing it up". :colondollar:
Ape Gone Insane
It's on iPlayer now (and in HD). :h:

I'm outside the UK, I only get to watch it streaming. There are other means. :ninja:
Colonel Brusnahan
This was very good and very watchable television. Moving it into the modern day didn't feel strained or forced. The plot was intelligent and it was well written with believable dialogue, something that's needed when you are talking about a super genius such as Sherlock Holmes.

Speaking of Holmes. Benedict Cumberbatch (or whatever) was a very well acted and interesting Holmes, despite a silly name. He worked well, showed the good mix of warmth and frigidness that is Sherlock Holmes. Touched upon his sexuality in a subtle way (well not VERY subtle). He could be a very capable Sherlock, an eccentric man, who for a genius, can be an absolute idiot at times.

Martin Freeman was excellent, as I think he always is, as Watson. Being a device for exposition, the new man on the block, was quickly done and over with, and whilst his moving in with Holmes was reasonably close to lightspeed, he did his job with a superb bit at the end. You can see the relationship between the two developing and his background in Afghanistan is intriguing. I'm more interested in Watson than Holmes, and that's hard to do, but perhaps is the right thing to do. Who can relate to Holmes?

They went down the

Spoiler

route at the end, which is a bit annoying, but not exactly avoidable. The other villain of the episode was well thought out and seemed to be a tolerable rival to Holmes. I'm glad we didn't get an answer at the end either. The more overseeing villain was good and I'm wondering where it will go, as he doesn't exactly seem to be a bad person. Not a typical one anyway.

This did feel a bit like Doctor Who. Obviously with the same writers as Doctor Who and a similar main character, that cannot be helped. The Doctor and Sherlock Holmes are INCREDIBLY similar characters. Not a lot can be done, but this show was a lot more grounded (in some ways), but suspension of reality is needed. I could see Cumberbatch as the Doctor to be honest. Would he be better than matt Smith? Don't care.

9/10 for the episode. Looking forward to the rest of it. Not sure if I prefer this to the recent movie, but the movie has Robert Downey Jr, who can do no wrong. Jude Law must be replaced with Martin Freeman.

Excellent, excellent review - thanks for that. :yy:

I loved Downey's potrayal of Holmes. I seriously doubted he would be good for the role but he turned out to be the perfect fit, his acting was (at times) impeccable.

Illusionary
but then, like you I'm a fan of most things Sherlock Holmes so am probably biased!

Move over Poirot, Morse and Frost. :colonhash:
Reply 15
The review was alright tbh :proud:

:colondollar:
Reply 16
Was I the only person who had worked out the murderer was a taxi driver within the first 5 minutes? Kinda disappointingly obvious but I still enjoyed it. Hope they'll make it a regular show rather than just a 3 parter.
Ape Gone Insane

Definitely a 9/10.
I loved Sherlock and even Watson was quite wow. Both were nice to watch too :coma:
Fantastic television. Kept me interested all the way through which is no mean feat. Really well written and I can't help but think the following episode will be the same.

Lead was ace, n'all. Had a lot to live up to.
Loving the jibes at Anderson. :rofl:

"Anderson, don't read out loud, you're lowering the IQ of the whole street."

Quick Reply

Latest