The Student Room Group

IB having a dilemma!

I know, I'm so punny! [See title]

Anyways, so I have a dilemma. I received my IB results, and they were awful. Most were 2 points below my prediction, and one even 3. I was and am so disappointed in them.

Fortunately, I didn't have any offers to meet. But that is part of the dilemma, as I have an unconditional offer to an American university, which is highly ranked [Depending on the program it's ranked from 1st to top 50].

Yet, my want to go to this university is tarnished by mainly my IB results and possibly wanting to retake them in order to improve my scores as I did spend 2 years of my life in this program. This is also important because I am having fears that I (I'm European) will not like college in the United States and will want to transfer back to Europe (most likely the UK or Ireland) and thus my points do matter.

If I retake, I will most likely reapply to universities in Europe to see what I can get into (and defer my American university a year, just in case). If I can get into a better ranked school, then I will probably attend that instead.

On top of all that, the majority of my close friends are going to European universities and I have 0 friends or family near me when I'm in the States. Making me feel quite alone, especially considering I have an international background and there are less than 10% international students in the incoming 2014 Freshman class.

So if anyone could help me out on deciding whether to pursue my original collegiate plan of attending in the States, or if I should retake my IB to not feel as disappointed and low about myself and then maybe get into a better university in Europe?

[Sorry for the wall of text!]

Thanks everyone!
Don't retake the IB, personally i'm against gap years - you have a good spot at a good american uni - go there!

As for friends - you'll meet so many in the US, so don't worry!!
Reply 2
Hmm, yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well, but giving up a lot of friends is hard!

But I also forgot to include one more factor!

Price in the States: 55,000$

Price anywhere in Europe: Free
confusedd
I know, I'm so punny! [See title]

Anyways, so I have a dilemma. I received my IB results, and they were awful. Most were 2 points below my prediction, and one even 3. I was and am so disappointed in them.

Fortunately, I didn't have any offers to meet. But that is part of the dilemma, as I have an unconditional offer to an American university, which is highly ranked [Depending on the program it's ranked from 1st to top 50].

Yet, my want to go to this university is tarnished by mainly my IB results and possibly wanting to retake them in order to improve my scores as I did spend 2 years of my life in this program. This is also important because I am having fears that I (I'm European) will not like college in the United States and will want to transfer back to Europe (most likely the UK or Ireland) and thus my points do matter.

If I retake, I will most likely reapply to universities in Europe to see what I can get into (and defer my American university a year, just in case). If I can get into a better ranked school, then I will probably attend that instead.

On top of all that, the majority of my close friends are going to European universities and I have 0 friends or family near me when I'm in the States. Making me feel quite alone, especially considering I have an international background and there are less than 10% international students in the incoming 2014 Freshman class.

So if anyone could help me out on deciding whether to pursue my original collegiate plan of attending in the States, or if I should retake my IB to not feel as disappointed and low about myself and then maybe get into a better university in Europe?

[Sorry for the wall of text!]

Thanks everyone!

I understand the financial concern; what university is it if I may ask? (And they do not care if you received three points less than predicted). What was your score and breakdown? What universities would you apply to? (Just to help you determine whether a retake is appropriate).
Reply 4
I got a 26.
English : 5 (Teacher thought it would be at least a high 6, if not a 7)
Math SL: 5 (Predicted 6)
Geography HL: 4 (Predicted 6/7)
French B SL: 5 (Predicted 6)
Physics SL: 4 (Predicted 6)
Chemistry HL: 3 (predicted 5)
No bonus, was predicted B in TOK, B in EE,
ended up with a C in TOK and a D in EE (Physics)

So quite unhappy about the results overall, especially considering I thought I had done well and I studied an incredible amount.

Well a small list I had would be to study Business/Management/Economics at
Nottingham, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Stirling, Trinity College Dublin, Royal Holloway perhaps, but that's just a preliminary list!

With regards to financial concerns, my family can pay for an expensive, private, American college; it's just that I don't want to be making a 55,000$ mistake...
Reply 5
Wow, you add a whole new dimension to the difficulty of making that "retake?" decision.

I like the pun btw :smile:

You have the wrong attitude about the university in the US. You shouldn't be considering it if your expectation is that you will return. If you can say with certainty that you could find happiness there, then by all means go. Don't worry about your IB, because a degree counts for more.

However, if you are uncertain, which you seem to be, I suggest taking the retake route (say that 10x quickly...). It's bloody hard work doing IB retakes and you will need them for reapplying to UK unis if you decide to return to the UK. If you can defer your entry to the US university for a year to do retakes I'd probably suggest this anyway for peace of mind. You'll be more prepared for it in a years time, will have been able to consider your options more and have better IB grades as a fall-back.

I wouldn't retake all your IB subjects though. Choose say... 4, and improve them instead of all 6 again. You'll accomplish more this way. Also, consider replacing subjects entirely where you are convinced you worked your absolute hardest and still didn't get much. The ones that stand out there as potential replacements are Chemistry, Geography and Physics.

And if you can get away with it with your uni course (I doubt you can with economics) drop that maths SL to studies, and you're guaranteed an extra point there.
confusedd
I got a 26.
English : 5 (Teacher thought it would be at least a high 6, if not a 7)
Math SL: 5 (Predicted 6)
Geography HL: 4 (Predicted 6/7)
French B SL: 5 (Predicted 6)
Physics SL: 4 (Predicted 6)
Chemistry HL: 3 (predicted 5)
No bonus, was predicted B in TOK, B in EE,
ended up with a C in TOK and a D in EE (Physics)

So quite unhappy about the results overall, especially considering I thought I had done well and I studied an incredible amount.

Well a small list I had would be to study Business/Management/Economics at
Nottingham, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Stirling, Trinity College Dublin, Royal Holloway perhaps, but that's just a preliminary list!

With regards to financial concerns, my family can pay for an expensive, private, American college; it's just that I don't want to be making a 55,000$ mistake...

Do you think you could up your grade by 5-10 points realistically? I would personally stick with the US college, since you are v. far off the necessary point total for e.g. economics. Albeit it will be expensive, you can scour the web for scholarships and if you do well it'll all pay off. :smile: Also, retakes are incredibly expensive and time-consuming (you'll have to study quite a bit to up your grade). As was mentioned, do not redo all your subjects pick 2-3 subjects and consider retake options. Also possibly consider redoing your TOK or EE (since that could be an easy 1-2 bonus points, and it won't interfere with your exams). Your choice though :smile:
If my exam results had dissapointed me this year, I was fully prepared to go retake them. I recommend you also make a pros and cons list which was what I was doing while I was bored waiting for the results to come out. But some considerations:

The IB is an international qualification, its reputation is amazing and is only going to get better. Having good results could therefore get you really far. That said, it's only really going to matter by getting you into the uni you want.

I had an amazing offer which I was determined to, if I didn't make it, retake and get the grades. Did you apply to Ucas last session? Do you want to study Business, etc. enough at those unis you mentioned to motivate you learning for the next three months (for the Nov exam) or the next half year (for the May exam).

Other technicalities- your syllabi if you are going to take the exam next year, is going to change. Geography is definitely going to change, and by a lot. The structure of the new exam is completely different - are you ready to possibly be on your own studying for an exam you've never come across/had any preparation? I know as a fact the Spanish syllabus is going to be drastically different- they are going to remove the A2 classes completely and I think this is going to apply to all the romance languages, therefore you could have a stream of very competetent french speaking students pulling up the grade boundaries next year.

It is therefore very important that you choose quickly what you want to do and when you want to do it because you only have around 3 months left till the November exam.

I would advise trying your luck in the November one, sometimes exams are about luck. In my February mocks I got 28 points. Fast forward to the real exams in May (also 3 months later) I got 42 points.

Therefore I believe it's more than doable to increase your grades by 10 points. Especially looking at your predicted grades (something must have gone wrong there, teachers shouldn't be that bad at predicting grades). The question is, can you focus well in the summer weather, resist temptations while all your other friends are on holiday? Self study with little or no help and supervision? You have to ask yourself that. But if you feel you can do it, I would definitely say, go for it!

Good luck in making your decision!

Latest

Trending

Trending