Best Architecture University Watch

This discussion is closed.
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey.. Ive applied to various unis to read Architecture and was just wondering if anyone knows what the best place to do Architecture is - ive head that the Architectural Association School of Architecture, which isnt part of UCAS for some strange reason (and not on thetimes or guardian uni rankings) is from many people including architects but ...I just wanted confirmation/other opinions. Say you could go ANYWHERE in the world, what is the best uni to study architecture ?
Shay
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Hey.. Ive applied to various unis to read Architecture and was just wondering if anyone knows what the best place to do Architecture is - ive head that the Architectural Association School of Architecture, which isnt part of UCAS for some strange reason (and not on thetimes or guardian uni rankings) is from many people including architects but ...I just wanted confirmation/other opinions. Say you could go ANYWHERE in the world, what is the best uni to study architecture ?
Nottingham and Cambridge are considered excellent for architecture.
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shay)
Nottingham and Cambridge are considered excellent for architecture.
Thanks.. heard anything about the AA (architectural association school of architecture) ?
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've heard sheffield is pretty good too, and of course theres always cambridge ...
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by HasanB)
I've heard sheffield is pretty good too, and of course theres always cambridge ...
No, Sheffield sucks and its unlikely im going to get in to Cambridge.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Times subject tables - Architecture
1. Nottingham
2. Cambridge
3. Sheffield, Cardiff =
5. Bath
They are the top 5 unis for achitecture in Britain, according to The Times.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Apart from Cambridge I also heard good things about the Bartlett (UCL). They seemed to have a slightly different ethos from Cam too.
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alaric)
Apart from Cambridge I also heard good things about the Bartlett (UCL). They seemed to have a slightly different ethos from Cam too.
Yes Ive heard good things too .. Forget about the rankings, the AA isnt on them as its not part of UCAS - anyone heard anything about the AA ?
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Yes Ive heard good things too .. Forget about the rankings, the AA isnt on them as its not part of UCAS - anyone heard anything about the AA ?
I'm sure someone mentioned how good they are a couple of days ago but can't remember what thread -not much help I guess. What about using the search facility?
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by yawn1)
I'm sure someone mentioned how good they are a couple of days ago but can't remember what thread -not much help I guess. What about using the search facility?
lol i think that would be me on another thread :P
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
lol i think that would be me on another thread :P
Was it? - sorry
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by yawn1)
Was it? - sorry
:P hehe yeah in the oxbridge area
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
maybe ur the only one whos heard of the AA then , nah im sure its good, altho i hadnt heard of it b4 now. and sheffield is 3rd in the times, i think that is an accurate guide .... its my opinion u dont have to accept it. UCL of course is very good but i heard they do give preference to art sudents and specifically look for that in a candidates ability (ie. portfolio), im sure ull get into UCL
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Hi yeh Ive just had a look on the AASA website and yeh you can apply to them without going through UCAS which is pretty good as it means that you can have 7 choices instead of the normal six - which cant be bad!
As far as I know (just asked my firned actually!) - she says that Cambridge is proabably the place to go - but as you already know it is difficult to get into. But she says, that you may as well apply as you have so many choices with which to apply for architecture - and now that you have found the AASA why not give it a go? You still need to be predicted at least AAB - but with those predictions and a good portfolio you would have no problem in getting in to the other architecture schools.
You could also have a look on the RIBA website - I think that they give out some information on the different courses offered from different universities.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just found this on the AASA website...probably why it isnt with UCAS...its very expensive!
Fees for the Academic Year 2002/03

Undergraduate School

Foundation Year £10,500
Five Year programme - £11,900 (per year!)
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my m8 who got rejected for arch from camb is going to go to nottingham, she says its amazing for it and she got quite a low offer from there.x
adelz
Rep:
?
Hey .. wow thanks for taking your time replying guys !

mjf : Thanks for looking it all up ! I know all that info, but after speaking to lots of architects and looking at articles online im with the impression that the AA is the best - plus Cambridge stopped part 2 of architecture.... Umm.. but .. yeah I was justlooking for opinions - is this friend of yours an architect or anything like that ?

emzie : I got quite a low offer too, BBB and so far its the best place Ive been accepted ! Is your friend considering the AA at all ?

Sorry for goingo n so much about the AA its just .. it seems to good to be true (apart for the price but im international so ...)
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hi
No my friend applied for architecture last year - I know to cambridge but cant remember the rest. I also remember she got pooled as well - but i dont think she got a place after that. Sorry to be a bit vague about it!
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Hi
No my friend applied for architecture last year - I know to cambridge but cant remember the rest. I also remember she got pooled as well - but i dont think she got a place after that. Sorry to be a bit vague about it!
Ah .. Similar situation to me .. well .. thanks !
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
adelz - yeh she got something like that, shes not considering AA coz she definitely wants to go to nottingham so shes firmly choosing them. good luck.x
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.57%
No (239)
33.43%

Watched Threads