Best Architecture University Watch

This discussion is closed.
adelz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
adelz - yeh she got something like that, shes not considering AA coz she definitely wants to go to nottingham so shes firmly choosing them. good luck.x
Thanks mate .. lol .. err.. what about UCL ? or did she not apply there
emzie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yep, she got an offer from UCL
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
yep, she got an offer from UCL
okay .. thanks. . - I think if I got one from there I'd probably take it
adelz
Rep:
?
Hey did she have to do for an interview / send a portfolio to UCL ? If she had to send a portfolio, what was her item that was of interest to her but not of interest to UCL (they asked me to send that, plus my portfolio)
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
umm im not sure i'll have to ask her. she had an interview a whole ago but i don't think she had to give a portfolio in, I think she only had to do that for cambs.
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
umm im not sure i'll have to ask her. she had an interview a whole ago but i don't think she had to give a portfolio in, I think she only had to do that for cambs.
Ahh okay .. well please ask !
emzie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oks jus txtd her and she said: yeh she had to take a portfolio of recent work along to the interview. They like to see a range of stuff, not too much 'fine art' work. some contemorary work is good.
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by emzie)
oks jus txtd her and she said: yeh she had to take a portfolio of recent work along to the interview. They like to see a range of stuff, not too much 'fine art' work. some contemorary work is good.
cool.. thanks very much for taking time to do this
[email protected]
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Hey.. Ive applied to various unis to read Architecture and was just wondering if anyone knows what the best place to do Architecture is - ive head that the Architectural Association School of Architecture, which isnt part of UCAS for some strange reason (and not on thetimes or guardian uni rankings) is from many people including architects but ...I just wanted confirmation/other opinions. Say you could go ANYWHERE in the world, what is the best uni to study architecture ?
the AA is highly prestigious and world renouned, the most famous contemporary architects teach there, eg zaha hadid. u can go to their website n get a prospectus. it's not on UCAS prob. because the tuition fees are over 12 thou per term or something. also, it's v hard to get into, cos it's so well known. in the UK it's prob the best place, cos it's the most famous. the best place in the world is some place in america called... i've forgotten. best place in UK is nottingham, this yr because all the graduates got hired. ususally it's camb. UCL is also v. well known n famous for famous tutors. ppl frm UCL usually end up in the big famous firms eg foster and partners. in the end it really doesn't matter where u go, it's more about ur portfolio at the end of it. good luck
siren
Report 16 years ago
Id say Bath was the best if you are not looking at oxbridge...
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by [email protected])
the AA is highly prestigious and world renouned, the most famous contemporary architects teach there, eg zaha hadid. u can go to their website n get a prospectus. it's not on UCAS prob. because the tuition fees are over 12 thou per term or something. also, it's v hard to get into, cos it's so well known. in the UK it's prob the best place, cos it's the most famous. the best place in the world is some place in america called... i've forgotten. best place in UK is nottingham, this yr because all the graduates got hired. ususally it's camb. UCL is also v. well known n famous for famous tutors. ppl frm UCL usually end up in the big famous firms eg foster and partners. in the end it really doesn't matter where u go, it's more about ur portfolio at the end of it. good luck
Hmm thanks guys ...
[email protected] do you study architecture at nottingham lol ? If you do tell me how it is please ! How is nottingham uni, facilities, the accomodation, the city ... Ive applied to the AA and have an interview there on the 4th..
Can you PLEASE try and remember the name of the American place ?
Thanks
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by siren)
Id say Bath was the best if you are not looking at oxbridge...
Hmm .. im in there ! why do you say that Bath is the best - its not in uni rankings...
[email protected]
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emzie)
adelz - yeh she got something like that, shes not considering AA coz she definitely wants to go to nottingham so shes firmly choosing them. good luck.x
AA costs, like 12 thou per term in tuition fees, that's why it's not on UCAS, it's private and very, very famous. world renouned. all the famous contemporary architects go there to teach eg zaha hadid. very cutting edge. get the prospectus frm the website. it's not in the league tables (cos it's not UCAS) but if it was it might not necessarily b first. they teach quite unconventionally.it'd b an amazing experience, but u need to b loaded.
[email protected]
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Hmm thanks guys ...
[email protected] do you study architecture at nottingham lol ? If you do tell me how it is please ! How is nottingham uni, facilities, the accomodation, the city ... Ive applied to the AA and have an interview there on the 4th..
Can you PLEASE try and remember the name of the American place ?
Thanks
hey, i didn;t know that had come out, so i repeated half of what i said like a dumbass. i'm not at notts, want to go there, have an AAB offer. American place is called Cornell
[email protected]
Report 16 years ago
hey, i didn;t know that had come out, so i repeated half of what i said like a dumbass. i'm not at notts, want to go there, have an AAB offer. American place is called Cornell
also, have 2 cousins at notts, it's brilliant, saw it myself, beautiful campus, brilliant frersher week, it's cmpus uni, so it's no huge city, but it has everything u could need. bit of crime tho, although everywhere has.
[email protected]
Report 16 years ago
also, have 2 cousins at notts, it's brilliant, saw it myself, beautiful campus, brilliant frersher week, it's cmpus uni, so it's no huge city, but it has everything u could need. bit of crime tho, although everywhere has.
there's something fishy about UCL at the mo, RIBA aren't accepting its course or something, but it is a very very good school. if u want to apply to camb for the coming year you're too late btw.
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is achitecture considered to be more arty or more sciency? i was thinking of going into to it, but im not really sure
adelz
Rep:
?
there's something fishy about UCL at the mo, RIBA aren't accepting its course or something, but it is a very very good school. if u want to apply to camb for the coming year you're too late btw.
lol .. whats up with UCL ? So you are applying to read architecture right ?
Ive already applied, I applied to Cambridge, got pooled and am now waiting for the result - most likely rejected though as havent heard by now.
I have a BBB offer from Nottingham .. have you applied to the AA ?
my predicted grades are AAAB .. I REALLY wanna get into the AA ... what do you think I;ll need extra - i mean ... yeah .. help ! how can i get in ! lol .. sorry
If i get rejected from the AA ill die ! (coz ill have camb and AA rejection which would be so bad) .. anyway .. thanks ..
adelz
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Is achitecture considered to be more arty or more sciency? i was thinking of going into to it, but im not really sure
Hmm .. I think its probably a bit of both though its definately probably arty-er as ... Well its design of buildings !
But as i said, its a bit of both. You need to be smart as well as talented to be a successful Architect.
jimmyriddle
Report 16 years ago
hey...ive applied to do architecture too at: sheffield, ucl, nottingham, cardiff.........neone kno what ucl request? coz ive heard there requirements for the portfolio are a bit strange....and if neone has got offers from ne of those other uni's wot are they? so far got nottingam at aab and sheffield at abb.
and how come some people have received bbb from nottigham while others aab???
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads