The Student Room Group

Lightheadedness and temporary loss of sight when standing up

This happens quite frequently, am I ill?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its a headrush, its normal :smile:
Reply 2
This used to happen to me, everything slowly goes black and the sound around me gets muffled when I get up.
Reply 3
Yeah it's normal - could be due to low blood pressure apparently but I often get it and my blood pressure is fine!
Reply 4
rosabob
Its a headrush, its normal :smile:

Thanks, just thought I'd ask to be on the safe side!
No, you aren't ill, don't worry. Be careful though - occasionally you can faint if it happens.

When it happens, sit down or lie down. Just get yourself lower. Two reasons; 1. it gets rid of the lightheadedness and you can see again 2. Much safer if you do faint.
Reply 6
This has been happening to me everytime I get up for as long as I remember. How tall are you? I wonder whether that has anything to do with it...
Reply 7
It's usually associated with low blood pressure. Can also be due to all the hormonal stuff during the teenage years too apparently.

Nothing you can really do to stop it. GPs recommend you don't jump straight up from lying down, other than that be sensible and deal with it.
Reply 8
I'm glad to know that this is common occurrence.
Reply 9
You're fine, it's neurones in your brain firing due to a temporary loss of oxygen or something.
Go and see your GP. Most of the time though it's just low blood pressure or hypoglycemia. If you're not on a diet, hypoglycemia may be a sign of diabetes.
Reply 11
I've been getting this a lot recently :frown:
Orthostatic hypotension, get up slower.
Reply 13
Have you been watching a lot of tv?

Plus, maybe your sugar intake isn't enough, so sort that out

Consult a doctor if you have to :smile:, I am not a medical professional :P
It's low blood pressure/hypotension.

I have it and it's awful, I actually feel like fainting if I get up too fast. I didn't realise it was so common though... that's good.
It's common, I get it too. Just chill and lean against something or sit back down when it happens, and stand up again slower. Make sure you don't get too hungry or thirsty as that can make it worse :smile:
Are you sure you are not standing up upside down?
Hmm... temporary loss of sight in young, single males... I think I've read about this... :sadnod:
Dr Chocothunder's diagnosis: get a girlfriend and your symptoms should subside. :yep:
Reply 18
its probably low blood pressure - i get it all the time and quite badly - has caused me to faint on a few occasions - just try to not get up so fast - also try to drink and eat more.
xnatalie01x
It's low blood pressure/hypotension.

I have it and it's awful, I actually feel like fainting if I get up too fast. I didn't realise it was so common though... that's good.

I have high blood pressure and I get it so I'm pretty sure it's not low blood pressure related.

Scabo0o
This has been happening to me everytime I get up for as long as I remember. How tall are you? I wonder whether that has anything to do with it...

Dunno about OP, but I'm 5'9''/5'10'' ish, which is fairly average, so I don't think it's height related either.

My mum gets it as well (though not as often), we've never quite worked out why we do.

Quick Reply

Latest