A serious question re: Tuition fees Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am planning on going to University this year meaning that assuming I dont drop out my last year at uni will be 2006/2007.

If top up fees are introduced will I have to pay them for my last year or is it just for people starting in 2006/2007?

Also I understand that the debt is going to be payed off over time, what happens if I graduate and a few years later end up living somwehere like South Africa or Australia, would this not make it very difficult for them to reclaim the fees from me?
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
I am planning on going to University this year meaning that assuming I dont drop out my last year at uni will be 2006/2007.

If top up fees are introduced will I have to pay them for my last year or is it just for people starting in 2006/2007?

Also I understand that the debt is going to be payed off over time, what happens if I graduate and a few years later end up living somwehere like South Africa or Australia, would this not make it very difficult for them to reclaim the fees from me?
As far as I am aware, you will need to pay the full fees in your fine year. I think it applies to all students at univerisity for that year and onwards.
Sarco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NikNak)
As far as I am aware, you will need to pay the full fees in your fine year. I think it applies to all students at univerisity for that year and onwards.
No the tuition fees only affect you if you start under the new system ie anyone entering into uni 2006 or later. So if you start in 2005 or before you will not have the extra fees at all.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Sarco)
No the tuition fees only affect you if you start under the new system ie anyone entering into uni 2006 or later. So if you start in 2005 or before you will not have the extra fees at all.
oh rite...my bad
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

It will be a percentage of your earnings every month (this applies to the student loan also), and just like any other loan the money will either be debited from your bank account or you will have to send a cheque every month, even if you do live abroad.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think that they should retroactively date the bill so that everyone who ha had a university education can pay for it, why should i have to pay but not someone who was born six months before me?
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chicken)
It will be a percentage of your earnings every month (this applies to the student loan also), and just like any other loan the money will either be debited from your bank account or you will have to send a cheque every month, even if you do live abroad.
Is there anyway they can enforce this if I am living abroad and they have no or little knowledge as to where I am?
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
(Original post by JSM)
i think that they should retroactively date the bill so that everyone who ha had a university education can pay for it, why should i have to pay but not someone who was born six months before me?
Faiar comment but how far do they go? Should we start issuing bills of £3000 per year to people who graduated in 1993 for example?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
Because it's illegal.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Faiar comment but how far do they go? Should we start issuing bills of £3000 per year to people who graduated in 1993 for example?
Another option would be to introduce a 'graduate tax', maybe a fee that every graduate has to pay each year (a small amount) for their working lives?
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is there anyway they can enforce this if I am living abroad and they have no or little knowledge as to where I am?
Well no but then if they did find you i suspect you would be in some trouble. If you owe money then you owe money - its as simple as that. You can't just live abroad so they can't find you to make you pay it. I imagine that if you carried on not paying it back, then your possesions would be at risk.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well no but then if they did find you i suspect you would be in some trouble. If you owe money then you owe money - its as simple as that. You can't just live abroad so they can't find you to make you pay it. I imagine that if you carried on not paying it back, then your possesions would be at risk.
if you are a resident in a different country to where you are paid, you are sorted.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I imagine it would be similar to the current student loan system re going abroad

What if I go abroad?
If you plan to leave the UK after you graduate or stop attending your course you will need to let us know in sufficient time so that we can make arrangements for you to either put off repaying your loan, or to start to repay it. We will only take instructions from someone else if they have been granted Power of Attorney (if they have the legal rights to act on your behalf).

I am working abroad - can I make payments from my overseas account?
No, we can accept International Money Orders. Cheques should be drawn in pounds sterling on UK accounts.

They do still make you pay it back so I imagine if you dont make arrangements the SLC or equivalent would track you down.

At the moment when I pay back student loan it gets taken directly out of my salary along with Nat Insurance etc. so if you earn anywhere in the UK and pay national insurance they can find you. The payments came out automatically I didnt have to arrange it.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
LOL I know of someone who lives abroad (non EU country) and owes loads to the UK taxman. As the person is out of their juristiction there is little that the UK authorities can do as I believe that he liquidated all his assets in this country.

So if someone owed uni fees and decided to go and live and work in South Africa there would be little that the UK government could do to recoup those fees it seems.
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Just to clarify my question I mean is this system not exploitable by people taking the top up fees then clearing off abroad with no intention of paying them back?
Chicken
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Just to clarify my question I mean is this system not exploitable by people taking the top up fees then clearing off abroad with no intention of paying them back?
As long as you are working you have to pay back what you owe, living in the UK or not. Thats the impression that i'm under.
macdaddy
Report 15 years ago
i think it'd be funny if all students jointly launched a national filing for bankruptcy campaign.

I'm a finalist, and I might be forced to do it, because I had to spend a year as a "temporarily withdrawn student",

imagine that - filing for bankruptcy before you even graduate! it's comedy.

but it's not a brilliant option - my dad went bankrupt about 12 years ago, and it affects your ability to get credit cards and loans and mortgages, and you can't be a director of a company... so it's not without a cost for those who've done it thinking they were being a bit clever.

for me, i'd be forced into it from simple poverty brought on by a compulsory year abroad and trying to feed and house a non-EU wife an baby without being able to get much work... what a load of ****e.

most students would be better off doing vocational training than going to university... i'll tell my son to sack it off and become a sparky's mate at 16.

Going abroad to escape your debts is not as easy as it may sound - overseas jobs pay more as a rule anyway, so you'll end up just as well/badly off... either way, no country in the world has as generous a system as ours dishing out cash left right and centre to all comers... they'll surely fcuk you when you come back, no matter how long you stay abroad.

i reckon the only way to evade your loan payments would be to emigrate to 3rd world countries, i'm quite sure all the civilised ones like in the EU, North America, and Asia-Pacific will have arrangements with the UK to prevent wannabe skankers.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are there any indications to find out universities intentions on top up fees on each subject? I know certain universities want them like UCL and Oxford. But for law what about Liverpool or Queen Mary's etc?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (390)
67.36%
No (189)
32.64%

Watched Threads