The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Someone I know got into Harvard with ACC at AS.... they don't just go on exam grades but also standardised test results and an interview.
Reply 2
Well his grades are clearly very impressive. I think Harvard scholarships are based on income, and scholarships are more common in American universities than British ones.
Reply 3
Fair play to the lad.
fair play congrats is in order.
Reply 5
A top student has got into Harvard?

Gosh. Here was I thinking they only took the worst of us. :rolleyes:

:p:
Reply 6
Well it would be harder for him to do any better. And id imagine his SAT/SATII scores were equally outstanding. He probably also had some really fantastic entrance essays.

Also from what I remember when I applied to U.S unis they give you weighting for being the first member of your family to attend universities, and yup as Jonty said in the States scholarships are income based and given out much more freely :smile:
Reply 7
It's not really *that* hard to get into Ivy League Colleges.... about the same as Oxford/Cambridge. Just not many students tend to, mainly because its a foreign country and a lot more expensive in terms of tuition fees etc.
Reply 8
Jonty99
Well his grades are clearly very impressive. I think Harvard scholarships are based on income, and scholarships are more common in American universities than British ones.

This.

And American unis seem to place a lot more emphasis on extra curriculars. What kind of stuff did he do?

Also, I don't see what else you expect him to do :lolwut: You can't really get much better grades than that.
Damn. Fair play to him!
Reply 10
much higher emphasis on ECs in the US, dont even have to be very intelligent if u have other stuff like your own business or being a championship athlete going for you, that junior mayorship probably helped him quite a lot too.

Like others have said scholarships aren't very hard to get in the US, especially at Harvard as the admissions process is needs-blind and so people who fit a certain income bracket don't have to pay as much as others who don't.
Reply 11
good on him? Is it necessary for people to write news articles and make threads because of a student who got into a uni? Doesn't really seem newsworthy
Scholarships are a lot more common in the US, I think as they are mainly done on the income of the parents but still, well done to him. It's my dream to go to uni in the US...
Please create similar threads for all of the other thousands of students there.
Sounds like he teabagged the competition.
Reply 15
fosforpheasant
Please create similar threads for all of the other thousands of students there.

The guy went to a school which barely has enough pass rates in GCSE to be realised as credible. From that he obtained a scholarship to an independent school then to HARVARD. His story is interesting, whereas that other "thousands of students" are usually born into privilege, that is why I wrote about this.
Do Harvard not normally accept students?

This news is ridiculous.
Reply 17
lol so? a girl in my sixth form got into harvard but she's going columbia university now
Good grief, I didnt even get into Columbia for its summer school.

Good game for the boy, clearly deserves it. Plus his parents must be super proud....
Extricated
I know this guy IRL, but i really don't understand how he got into Harvard. Do harvard do interviews? He probably was outstanding at interview.

He got 10A* GCSE and AAAAA as AS. I know these might be good, but i mean isn't that the standard Oxford student grades? He got a SCHOLARSHIP, which is worth nearly 30k per year. He is junior mayor for London borough of Redbridge...

anyways ill commend him on his effort :

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/8162075.SNARESBROOK__Student_wins_place_at_Harvard/

In the United States most of our university scholarships are based on financial need as opposed to merit.

Latest

Trending

Trending